Dear Author Recommends for October
It’s October. I know, I can barely believe it either. The following are our recommended reads in October. Here is a catalog of October releases. The November and December catalogs are fairly up to date although the December one doesn’t have the category releases yet.
- Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson, recommended by Jane
- You Are My Only by Beth Kephart, recommended by John
- The Orchard by Theresa Weir, recommended by Robin
- Room at the Top by Jane Davitt and Alexa Snow, recommended by Sarah F
- Just No Proper Lady by Isabel Cooper, recommended by Lazaraspaste
- Unclaimed by Courtney Milan, recommended by Jane
- A Beginner’s Guide to Rakes by Suzanne Enoch, recommended by Jane (review to come)
- The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley, recommended by Sunita
- Heartstrings and Diamond Rings by Jane Graves, recommended by Jayne (review to come)
- S Before the Ex by Mira Lynn Kelly (caveat, the plot is fairly inane. I recommend for the emotional tension. Review to come)
- The Doukakis’s Apprentice by Sarah Morgan, recommended by Jane
Re the Harlequin plot being fairly inane, I was actually thinking about this today as I read a Michelle Reid Harlequin while waiting for something. I had commented here before that I don’t have a high bar for Harlequins, but what I really mean is that there can be big holes in the plot as long as the author keeps me caring about the characters. After all, we know where they’re going — the HEA — so an author who can keep me reading because I want to find out how they get there has a lot of talent.
I should have hated this Michelle Reid book (The Bellini Bride), based on the description, but instead I can’t put it down (well, except for a few minutes to write this..and go to work…and make dinner…but you know what I mean).
Great picks. I’m looking forward to YOU ARE MY ONLY as well.
Thank you SOOO much for this list of releases. I have been looking for something like this for so long! You have just made by book buying decisions much easier. Great work!
I remember Ros tweeting something good about S Before the Ex a while back. I’ll watch for the review.