Hot Books for Fall: Spotlight on Harlequin
If there is one thing that Harlequin knows how to do, it is making your evening fun. During the National Convention, Harlequin throws a big party on Friday nights. It is considered the party of the convention and everyone shows up and I mean, everyone. The food tables were overflowing and the drinks never stopped and there was not one person in the huge ballroom that didn’t have a smile on her face. Isabel Swift and the Harlequin team offers up the fall spotlight so that all of us can enjoy a little party at home.
Fall ’07: What's new for Harlequin Enterprises/Series and Single Title Imprints, all formats. What is HQE publishing ? What is HQE looking to publish?
- eBOOKS & AUDIO & NEW INITIATIVES
- – Information about & HQE looking for (for writers & the curious)
- – HQE Publishing Program (for readers)
- As of September 1st, Harlequin is delivering 100% frontlist in eBook format–"the only major trade publisher offering 100% of their frontlist.
- Spice Briefs launched to great success in August 2007: original, exclusive eBook content.
- Created "one-click buys" for the passion series for the avid reader & made it available to all eBook retailers (i.e. package all 8 Presents titles together as one unit)
- Continue to create eBook bundles of selected backlist, for example all of Caridad Pinero's "Calling" titles together in the Calling Collection (October)
- Creating new eBook product by "chunking" anthologies–each novella with be its own eBook. Part of an Holiday promotion –" 12 Christmas short stories for your digital stocking!
- New programs are in development!
- Ongoing program with Audible.com delivering 5 –" 6 titles (offering both series and single titles, debut and established authors) per month
- Launching an audio continuity featuring 2 Blaze titles every month for $9.95
- Ongoing radio program on XM radio: Sonic Theater channel. Our website is ttp://sonictheater.xmradio.com, and Harlequin Romance Radio is aired at 1 am and 9 am Eastern time on channel 163.
- 2nd Life author reading event on September 25 with M.J. Rose, featuring her book THE REINCARNATIONIST
- Launched & ongoing Harlequin Author Spotlight podcasts
- Launched and ongoing I Heart Presents blog (at www.iheartpresent.com)
- Will be launching a new romance blog in October
- MySpace profiles: SpiceBriefs complete–"check out http://myspace.com/spicebriefs
- MySpace profiles to come: Harlequin, Kimani Tru, MIRA
- Launched digital author toolkit –" updated monthly–"check out http://www.digitalauthortoolkit.com/
- Writing guidelines for Spice Briefs
- Fall 07 – Top titles for Spice Briefs:
SPICE –" Susan Swinwood
- Writing guidelines for Spice
- Fall 07 – There are two fall titles for Spice in ’07:
Both are fantastic books –" Nancy's is a collection of erotic stories based on a traditional fairy tale; each chapter of the story is devoted to one of the twelve princesses as she searches for the solution to her sexual frustrations.
Sarah's book is the first in her historical western erotica series: the men of Hell's Eight. Each of these eight Texas Rangers are tough, sexy, hardened men– until they meet the women who make them weak.
Fall 2007 –" Top Titles for HQN:
- October is a stellar month at HQN, topped by Brenda Joyce's next Masters of Time paranormal, DARK RIVAL and a new Carly Phillips contemporary, SEALED WITH A KISS.
- November features a new Shannon Drake historical from Heather Graham, THE QUEEN'S LADY, a Diana Palmer seasonal hardcover reissue, LONG TALL TEXAN LEGACY and our 2nd NASCAR collection, NASCAR HOLIDAY 2.
- December delivers an original romantic suspense story from New York Times bestselling author, Beverly Barton, A TIME TO DIE.
What HQN is looking for:
HQN publishes strong, complex single title romances. Our current focus is on acquiring author who write historical and contemporary single titles, but we are always looking for other romance sub-genres, paranormal in particular, if the material is exceptional.
LUNA Fall ’07 –" Top Titles:
- October, Jeri Smith-Ready continues her RITA nominated series with VOICE OF CROW.
- November, C.E. Murphy begins her new Negotiator series with HEART OF STONE.
- December, Diana Palmer makes a guest appearance with THE MORCAI BATTALION, a completely revised version of the only fantasy novel ever written by the author, originally published in 1980 and out of print for decades.
What LUNA is looking for:
We're primarily looking for urban fantasy and otherworld fantasy and are no longer looking for historical fantasy at this time. We're particularly interested in loosely-linked series of stand-alone titles featuring strong female leads, unique storylines and a fresh narrative voice that will appeal to fantasy, romance and mainstream readers alike.
MIRA Fall ’07 –" Top Titles:
- 76 SEASIDE AVENUE by Debbie Macomber (massmarket paperback)
- THE REINCARNATIONIST by M.J. Rose (hardcover)
- WHERE ANGELS GO by Debbie Macomber (hardcover)
- THE SÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬ °ANCE by Heather Graham (massmarket paperback)
- LAST KNOWN VICTIM by Erica Spindler (mass market paperback)
- MENDING FENCES by Sherryl Woods (mass market paperback,)
- THE WIDOW by Carla Neggers (first time mass market paperback)
- SILENT IN THE GRAVE by Deanna Raybourn (tirst time mass market paperback)
- DEMON'S KISS by Maggie Shayne (massmarket paperback)
For MIRA, we are primarily looking for strong historical fiction and commercial literary fiction
Red Dress Ink Fall ’07 –" Top Titles:
For Red Dress Ink, we only looking at exceptional, smart and funny chick lit.
Feroze Mohammed, with the Mack Bolan, Stony Man, Deathland, Outlander and Rogue Angel series and WORLDWIDE LIBRARY with its Mystery series are also part of the HQE family, but are not listed in detail here.
The fall of 2007 has many of the themes and initiatives that are clear reader favorites and important for the series business throughout the year.
As always, our focus is on finding, developing and publishing "good stories, well-told.” And to get those stories, our editors work with authors through all phases of story development – and then with art and marketing to ensure those stories get the right packages.
We also try to emphasize connected miniseries in our publishing schedule. There are multiple continuities appearing in the series lines, including the conclusions of The Royal House of Niroli from Harlequin Presents, Mission: Impassioned from Silhouette Romantic Suspense, Dynasty: The Garrisons from Silhouette Desire, Montana Mavericks: Strike It Rich from Special Edition, Dark Enchantments from Silhouette Nocturne, Secrets We Keep from Harlequin Romance, Texas Legacies: The Carrigans from Harlequin American, Million Dollar Secrets from Harlequin Blaze and many more.
Harlequin and Silhouette series programs are known for their long-standing commitment to authors, with many authors celebrating 25, 50, even 100 book milestones with us. We work with both new and established authors to develop long-running, successful series with their own characters, as well as encouraging strong, standalone titles that lead new readers to discover new favorites.
Another strong component of our publishing program is our continual search for new authors. We are one of the few publishers accepting unagented material, and we also run contests to find new authors. Check out the Harlequin Superromance Conflict of Interest Contest at www.eharlequin.com in Writing Challenges. The contest is open to all writers and the deadline is fast approaching!
Just this fall, from September to December, we are publishing more than thirty new-to-the-company authors, many of them first-time-ever authors as well. With three new authors in Harlequin Presents, and first-time authors in Silhouette Desire, Harlequin Everlasting, Love Inspired Suspense, Harlequin Blaze, Silhouette Special Edition, Harlequin Superromance, Harlequin Intrigue as well as in our Kimani Press and single title programs, Harlequin is a wonderful place to be discovered–and some amazing authors have published their first books with Harlequin and Silhouette.
We also have some great programs in place for readers to discover these authors! Along with our marketing and terrific bookstore support, there are a number of digital and hard-copy sampling programs in our future. We firmly believe that if you try a Harlequin or Silhouette title, you will love it! And so we plan to take advantage of as many outlets as we can to start the “addiction”…
We also experiment with anthologies within the series to highlight strong authors and themes, and encourage exploration of innovative ideas and stories to attract new readers.
Do be sure to visit our website at http://www.eharlequin.com/ to get the latest updates on word counts and tips from the webhosts as well as from past articles done about writing. We also have frequent visits from editors to talk about their individual lines, and fellow authors are a terrific resources as well.
In short, the fall of 2007 is all about the strengths that writing for HQE Series always displays: commitment to excellent stories by terrific authors, published across the nation and around the world.
Pick up a book and join us!