Romance, Historical, Contemporary, Paranormal, Young Adult, Book reviews, industry news, and commentary from a reader's point of view

Thursday News: Facebook responds to social media campaign to remove hate...

Visual trigger warning.


Jane Litte is the founder of Dear Author, a lawyer, and a lover of pencil skirts. She self publishes NA and contemporaries (and publishes with Berkley and Montlake) and spends her downtime reading romances and writing about them. Her TBR pile is much larger than the one shown in the picture and not as pretty. You can reach Jane by email at jane @ dearauthor dot com


  1. ms bookjunkie
    May 30, 2013 @ 04:44:47

    I missed the news! *clings*

  2. Loosheesh
    May 30, 2013 @ 06:41:40

    @ms bookjunkie: Me too! *sniff*

  3. Christine M.
    May 30, 2013 @ 06:47:05

    *same boat*

  4. Patricia Eimer
    May 30, 2013 @ 08:07:08

    Wow, facebook finally got with the program that rape and abuse isn’t cool. Welcome to 2000 gentlemen

  5. Kati
    May 30, 2013 @ 08:08:56

    Jesus. That picture absolutely turns my stomach. I have my security settings up so high, and limit so much of what I see on FB, I’ve never seen anything like that. I’m glad Facebook will be taking action.

  6. Lori
    May 30, 2013 @ 08:14:55

    Is there a correlation to my having a sucky week and there being no daily news? I think so.

    Welcome back.

  7. Ridley
    May 30, 2013 @ 09:41:09

    By the by, a more helpful trigger warning notes the content. “Trigger warning: visual representation of rape, minimalization of violence towards women.” lets people know what they’re in for. “Visual trigger warning” doesn’t tell them anything.

  8. azteclady
    May 30, 2013 @ 10:43:44

    Facebook probably gets along with the makers and marketing of most current video games then (I just watched the second installment of Anita Sarkeesian’s series on Tropes vs Women in Video Games–serious trigger warning for violence against women on that one)

  9. Mari
    May 30, 2013 @ 12:05:09

    as per Ridley…I would’ve appreciated a link to another website that we could’ve clicked on or not, after a graphic warning, having it just kind of there is just not cool.

  10. Sarah
    May 30, 2013 @ 15:16:08

    Interesting…as I tend to skim and look at pictures first, It took me looking up what that word was to figure out what was wrong with the picture as I have never heard of it. Granted when my peers were sexually abusing me in elementary and middle school, I was told that it was normal and not to complain by some of the adults, so I obviously didn’t learn about “The date rape drug”.

  11. Anthea Lawson
    May 31, 2013 @ 13:13:23

    Nice to have the news back! And I look forward to hearing about BEA when you get a chance.

    Just a note on Kobo – they said 10% of sales are through their self-pub platform, and ANOTHER 10% are via distributors, bringing the total self published sales on Kobo to 20%. :)

%d bloggers like this: