Oct 15 2008
Last month, Jia reviewed a new to us YA book called Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It’s a story about a teenager forced to fight in a brutal game to the death against 23 other teenagers. Others decided to read it and so we thought it would be fun to have a Book Club discussion. We’ve never really done this before so bear with us.
Please remember that this discussion will be full of spoilers so don’t read/participate if you don’t want to be spoiled.
The following are questions that we thought of in relation to the book. Let us know if you have answers or other questions.
- What does the future hold for Katniss, Peeta, and Gale?
- What did you think of Heymitch? Troublemaker? Untrustworthy? Surprising savoir?
- What do you think is the future of the political structure?
- Will there be a rebellion? If so, who will lead it? How do you think it will play out?
- Will there be retaliation against Katniss for her actions?
- Did you think it was fair for Katniss to get the rating that she did in archery?
- Did you think that Katniss had to face difficult moral decisions or where those tough choices ones she could avoid?
- What do you think was the inspiration for Hunger Games? One review says that it has ties to Rome.
- What role do you think Cinna plays?
- Which children were the worst off? The ones in the Districts where the children were raised to think that competing to kill other children and possibly die themselves was honorable as in Districts 1 & 2? Or the outlying districts which were so poor that the inhabitants had to forage for the smallest portions.
- Are there other books that reminded you of Hunger Games (because Jia and I want to read them).
- If you are an adult, why do these YA books appeal to you? Do you wish there were more books in the romance genre like this one?
And lastly, are you rooting for the K/G pairing or the K/P pairing? Choose sides and let’s rumble.