Apr 12 2012
I recently shared with Dear Author my favorite historical romances. Today I’m pulling out my favorite romantic suspense novels. These are kept in my Kindle collection: bad guys, good sex, true love. I’ve not read as much romantic suspense as I have historical romance so my bad guys, good sex, true love collection currently only has 26 books in it. I’d love some suggestions from DA readers as to what else I might read.
I like romantic suspense. I think it’s a vastly entertaining genre—in a great romantic suspense book, there’s a fabulous romance and a compelling mystery/suspense as well. It’s two for one! I prefer books that balance each of those pieces equally—I want there to be as much romance/sex as there is mystery/suspense. I added in the sex component, because, in general, that’s something I look for in romantic suspense. Most are set in modern times and there’s just no reason the heroine and hero shouldn’t be able to get down and dirty whilst trying to trap the bad guys.
I’ve probably read somewhere between 100 and 150 romantic suspense novels in the past five years. Of those, this list comprises my favorite 15. I love Anne Stuart’s Ice series and much of Shannon McKenna’s McClouds and Friends series. I’m also a fan of Pamela Clare—her I-Team books have gripping suspense plots and her macho heroes can be hot as hell. I put Heat in here because I’m not sure where else I’d put it. I don’t read paranormal and I see Heat as a paranormal romantic suspense. It’s my list and I can do what I want, right?
These are my current favorites. I’m hoping to read more romantic suspense in 2012, so perhaps I’ll discover new books I enjoy more than these. In the meantime, happy reading!
- Black Ice by Anne Stuart A | BN | K | S
- Cold as Ice by Anne Stuart A | BN | K | S
- Sweet Restraint by Beth Kery A | BN | K | S
- Deadly Heat by Cynthia Eden A | BN | K | S
- Death Angel by Linda Howard A | BN | K | S
- Midnight Man by Lisa Marie Rice A | BN | K | S
- Hard Evidence by Pamela Clare A | BN | K | S
- Breaking Point by Pamela Clare A | BN | K | S
- Heat by R. Lee Smith A | BN | K | S
- Edge of Sight by Roxanne St. Claire A | BN | K | S
- Extreme Danger by Shannon McKenna A | BN | K | S
- Blood and Fire by Shannon McKenna A | BN | K | S
- Money Shot by Susan Sey A | BN | K | S
- The Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockmann A | BN | K | S
- Sea of Suspicion by Toni Anderson A | BN | K | S