Welcome to the DABWAHA Elite 8

sidebarlogoWe’ve still got voting going on in the DABWAHA Tournament. The Elite 8 is here and is comprised of a Novel with Romantic Elements, 2 Paranormals, 2 Historicals, 2 Erotic Romances, and 1 Contemporary.   Round 4 voting starts at 10:00 AM EDT. Voting in Round 4, the Elite 8, will last 8 hours each.   Jennifer Y remains at the top with a 91% pick percentage.   Last year, the winning pick percentage was 69%.

Voting Schedule:

• Round 4, Region 1: 10 AM EDT to 6 PM EDT, March 28, 2009 (today)
  • Round 4, Region 2: 6 PM EDT to 2 AM EDT, March 29, 2009
  • Round 4, Region 3: 2 AM EDT to 10 AM EDT, March 29, 2009
  • Round 4, Region 4: 10 AM EDT to 6 PM EDT, March 29, 2009

What is DABWAHA? It’s the Dear Author Bitchery Writing Award for Hellagood Authors or DA BWAHA. For newcomers, this is a tournament of books that mimics the March Madness tournament of basketball. We’ve picked a slate of 64 books in 8 different categories to compete against each other through the next few weeks. Right now we are in the voting stage.

Special thanks to our sponsors.

• Harlequin at 30% off
  • eBooks at Fictionwise
  • eBooks at Books on Board. Books on Board is selling the Harlequin series books at 30% off and will have differing formats than the ones at Harlequin including iPhone/iTouch compatible formats.
  • Author Maya Banks is offering up a great prize to the last place bracketeer: $50 GC to online bookstore, Godiva chocolate basket, and ARCS of Sweet Persuasion (June 09) and Sweet Seduction (Oct 09). Perhaps this prize might affect some voting behavior?

1. Shannon Stacey
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 08:50:57

Don’t forget we’re trying to save the world here, as well as right a RITA wrong! Blue-Eyed Devil for the win!

2. Jia
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 08:54:42

Awesome, I’m crashing and burning in the 2nd chance tourney too! It’s a good thing Jane doesn’t require her reviewers to be good at this. lol

3. Gennita Low
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 10:08:10

The number of votes this year are very close for certain categories too! I could have won…sigh.

4. Keira
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 11:53:15

I was dumb – I just voted for a bk that I thought I had listed under my player picks and nope it wasn’t… lol where’s the take back button? lol

5. liz...
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 13:26:48

Where can we see the 2nd chance chart and if we are winning there? :0)

6. Kim
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 13:43:59

Here’s the current standings for the second chance tournament. Many entrants took a major hit when Tribute was voted out.

7. Hilcia
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 16:45:09

Just thought I would point out that Round 4: Region 2 is up for voting now… instead of tomorrow the 29th… I don’t know if it’s a glitch and it went up early, if if there was an error on the above schedule. Just thought you might want to check it out.

Mar 28, 2009 @ 17:09:44

@Hilcia No, it starts today but ends Marcy 29, 2009, at 2 am EDT.

9. BevQB
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 18:26:56

Wouldn’t it be a great kick-off for the DA/SB Save the Contemporary campaign if a contemporary won DABWAHA? You know, like say, Blue Eyed Devil?

Just sayin’

;-D

10. Hilcia
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 19:23:52

Thank you, Jane. I see… the dates reflect the end of the voting, not the beginning… Ooops!

11. joanne
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 20:24:33

Does anyone have time to explain why the totals are different? Are some voters ineligible at this point? I see that some of the votes, like the one below, adds up to one total but then the total voters is different.

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (52.0%, 355 Votes)
    Tribute by Nora Roberts (49.0%, 338 Votes)
    with the total stated as:
    Total Voters: 689
    but the actual (for lack of a better term) number comes to 693.

This does not mean I’ll understand the explanation but I would like to take a shot at understanding anything about sport (book) wagering.

12. library addict
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 21:33:17

Well Tribute was my downfall in both the first tournament and the second chance one.

Many of my losses have in very tight votes (I’m looking at you Mark of the Vampire). I wonder if that’s better or if I would rather go down with my choices being the clear loser. I suppose it doesn’t really matter. I will wear the giant L on my forehead with pride – LOL.

Go Iron Kissed. You are my only hope now :D

13. cecilia
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 22:28:18

I just went to look at the second chance tourney results, and I’d just like to say how much I’m appreciating the alphabetical ordering in ties, as it has allowed me to be listed first.

Based on that, and how some of the votes have been going, next year I’m going to put my name as AAAAARRRRGGGHHH.

14. LindaR (likari)
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 23:42:21

This is the only “game” I’ve ever played that is as much of a blast to lose as it is (in theory) to win.

[edit] Although I must say, I really do covet one of those quill pens.

15. SonomaLass
    Mar 29, 2009 @ 00:21:09

I pimped Tribute for all I was worth. It was one of the books that I genuinely thought deserved to be in the last round, rather than one that I thought would be there despite how I felt about it. Sigh. Now my hopes are riding on Loretta Chase, and I know that next vote is going to be very close.

16. Janine
    Mar 29, 2009 @ 01:07:32

I was dumb – I just voted for a bk that I thought I had listed under my player picks and nope it wasn't… lol where's the take back button? lol

I haven’t been voting based on my player picks at all. My picks were based on the books I thought would win, not necessarily my favorite books. My votes, though, go to the ones I liked best.

Mar 29, 2009 @ 07:28:21

@joanne I don’t know why the discrepancy. We use a poll software plugin and it calculates things automatically. I think it could be that we have “end times” set for the polls and perhaps there were a few votes that came in after the end times? Dunno.

18. Donna
    Mar 29, 2009 @ 18:18:57

I think spymaster’s lady is going to be the champion. Both of my friends think blue-eyed devil is going to pull it out in the end though. We shall see.

19. JenniferY
    Mar 29, 2009 @ 19:03:14

Because of my bracket, I hope it comes down to Blue Eyed Devil and Spymaster’s Lady…but I don’t know…Be With Me (a great book) could be a wild card there.

This tourney is so much fun! A lot more fun than the basketball one…at least for me.

20. Selene
    Mar 30, 2009 @ 00:13:06

Thanks for hosting this fun competition! I’ve picked up a couple of books from the participants already.

If I could make a feature request for next year (looking forward to it already), it would be that voting is open 24 hours (maybe with more matches at the same time?). As is, there’s been a lot of matches I couldn’t vote in because they were in the middle of the night. (I live across the pond.) 6 or 8 hours doesn’t make a huge difference when they happen to start at midnight or so. :-)

Judging by the number of votes declining for matches during certain hours, I suspect I’m not the only one who didn’t vote for similar reasons…

Selene

21. Janine
    Mar 30, 2009 @ 00:14:44

Oh, it hurts to see Cry Wolf out of the running!

I think it’s going to go to Spymaster’s Lady too. IMO there’s no stopping that juggernaut. Then again, I had Tribute picked to win, so I could be wrong.

I’m down to 61st place now. I knew it couldn’t last, but it was such fun being in the top 20! I’m not surprised you are having a blast, Jennifer.