Thursday Afternoon Haiku Moment: Just One of the Guys by...

Another contemp
I become predictable
Sorry DA Fans

037377299801lzzzzzzzThis one – first person
The POV is light, fun…
Also present tense. :-(

Is ok, Higgins
I forgive for present tense
Because your book? Great.

Men do not want Chas
Female jock masquerading
As dating leper.

Chas still wants Trevor
Her first lover & first love
But they are just friends

I love your voice BUT
Trevor’s “hot fudge sundae eyes”
Every chapter??

The subplots are fun
I wept last hundred pages
Sad but happy end

The best character?
Has to be Scorpion Bowl
Steals the scene, always

Light, fun. I stayed up
Too late reading. Now looking
For backlist. B+

This book can be purchased in mass market from Amazon or ebook format from the Sony Store or 30% off from Harlequin as part of the DABWAHA extravaganza and other etailers.

1. Kalen Hughes
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 15:37:01

Holy photoshopping nightmare, Batman! Why is that Basset Hound so freakishly small?

2. Darlynne
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 16:09:33

Another wonderful haiku moment for a terrific book. Thanks!

3. Lori
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 16:38:03

I shall forever be indebted to DA for introducing me to Kristan Higgins. I just got her newest book yesterday in the mail and I can’t wait to read it. Catch of the Day is still my favorite (I mean, Malone *sigh) but they all just sparkle.

The haiku moments are certainly… uh… interesting. How about limericks?

There once was a blogger named Jane
    Who thought contemporary romance the same
    till she tried Kristan Higgins
    and immediately she begins
    introducing her readers to the best in the game.

maybe sonnets…..

4. MichelleR
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 17:29:14

I’m in the middle of this one right now.

5. SonomaLass
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 17:37:53

I loved this book, and I love the haiku! I couldn’t believe this book lost in the first round of DA BWAHA. Contemporaries have it tough up against paranormals (or whatever they are calling them this year).

6. Jinni
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 17:51:07

I read this when you guys introduced me to her. Catch of the Day and Too Good to be True are sitting on my nightstand as we speak. As soon as I finish this last Cody McFadyen, I’m going to need something lighthearted.

7. DS
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 17:53:45

by Kalen Hughes March 19th, 2009 at 3:37 pm Reply to this comment

Ha! It’s the newly developed miniature basset. They are probably also working a toy basset and a teacup basset for people who want to carry their basset in a purse.

8. Maya M.
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 22:03:25

completely agree! great feel-good book. have to start working through the back list and most recent release.

@Kalen – it gets worse! There is not a single basset hound in the story. False canine advertising.

9. Randi
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 07:33:40

Maya: seriously? No dog at all? That is major cover fail! Considering the basset is prominately displayed (and I don’t usually buy books with dogs as main characters), I figured it played a significant role in the book. I’m glad to hear there’s no dog-but that cover is terrible. There is nothing jock-ish about that female torso…

Story sounds good-so I might check it out. But I was seriously turned off by the cover.

10. DianeN
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 08:55:50

There is a dog, definitely, but it’s not a basset hound. I adore this book, even though I didn’t care for her others. I’ve read it 3 times, and I never reread. I still cry at all the same places, even though I know what’s coming and that it all turns out okay in the end. I still cringe when I read the scene set at Binghamton University because I went there and Kristan obviously didn’t, but in the end it doesn’t matter. I love Trevor and his hot fudge sundae eyes and his flaws and his male ridiculousness. And I don’t just want him, I also want Chastity’s whole family, even the grubby little kids!

11. Keri M
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 12:51:12

I loved the book and laughed at some parts until I had tears in my eyes, but I wanted to knock Trevor in the head more than once for being such a bonehead. I know KH is not for everyone, but I just love her books and she can’t write fast enough for me.

12. Diana
    Mar 22, 2009 @ 20:29:45

Loved this book and everything else I’ve read by Kristan Higgins, especially Catch of the Day.