Virality of Ebook Promotions Poll

[poll id="147"]

Harlequin’s 60th Birthday is here and they are giving away 16 free books in digital format and DRM free. Their goal is to get a book into the hands of every woman in US and Canada but in order to do that, they are going to need help from readers to spread the word. I gave out the link to a couple of people who are offline readers today but I don’t always do that. What about you?

1. MB (Leah)
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 13:29:38

Question: When you say DRM free, does that include the pdf. version?

Because I made the huge mistake of downloading their pdf version of a few books a while back, hoping I could get them on my ebookwise by converting them to txt. but they are DRM, which wasn’t stated anywhere. I’d love to download these books, but I just won’t bother if the pdf are DRM because then I can only read them on my computer, which I. just. don’t. do.

Jan 29, 2009 @ 13:48:19

@MB (Leah) Yes, all versions should be DRM free. I think Harlequin might be having some issues right now with some formats because the Mobi version appears to be DRM’ed but the Adobe is not and neither is the Lit one.

3. Anne Douglas
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 13:53:29

I downloaded the ePub versions 9can’t think if they usually ahve them or not, and I don’t think they are drm’d.

And I’m going to post this to my blog for sure. I’m all about legitimate free stuffs!

4. kaigou
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 14:03:29

psst: “alot” is not one word.

5. joanne
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 14:36:15

Thanks for asking that question Leah (and answering Jane).

For the Poll my answer was sometimes. It always depends on the content & site of the freebies. Some friends may appreciate free Sci-Fi and others might want to know what I’m smokin’….the same for m/m or erotica or even the Harlequins.

What I like most about this promotion/celebration is that I’m going to get to try some of their lines that I don’t buy. I see the LoveInspired reviewed here and I wonder if it would work for me and now I can find out… for free. That’s a good thing.

6. MaryK
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 15:10:18

I voted nope – because nobody I know would be interested. :(

7. MB (Leah)
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 15:12:37

Thank you Jane.

I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, but I’m pretty sure that the PDF versions are DRM. I downloaded one, and there is no option to download it to my computer actually. It just opens up from eHarlequin’s site. And if I click on “file” at the top, the option to “save as txt” is not there, which tells me it’s DRM.

I don’t even see an option for Mobi, which I can usually get onto the DH’s PDA.

Jan 29, 2009 @ 15:21:35

@MB (Leah) I think that they might be having some issues with the downloading of mobi versions. Are you going to this link? Because I was able to download the LIT file with no DRM. You might also try “right clicking” and then chose “save file as”.

But please, keep posting your hassles because I know Harlequin is listening.

Jan 29, 2009 @ 15:22:48

@joanne I’ve heard really good things about Linda Goodnight and I’ve wanted to try her out too!

10. MB (Leah)
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 16:48:31

Jane, yes that was the link I went to. I don’t do LIT because as far as I know, I can’t translate that onto my eBookwise.

There is no way, as far as I can see, to change the current PDF versions to txt, no matter what I try. Right clicking, or not.

I didn’t even see any option for Mobipocket.

To be truthful, I’m not so knowledgeable on the different versions.

Currently what I see is: PDF, MS reader, which I think is LIT, ePUB and eReader, which I don’t know what format that is.

I don’t see mobi unless mobi is eReader.

11. Bev Stephans
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 18:15:36

Mine downloaded to my desktop instead of my Adobe reader. I right clicked and sent it to my Adobe reader. It can’t be DRM, because the print option is available.

12. MB (Leah)
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 19:49:22

Bev, thanks. I finally figured out what to do.

For eBookwise users:

When I click on “download PDF” from eHarleqin’s site, it just opens up; it doesn’t download to anywhere. But if I click on “save page as” in the file section, then I can download it to my desktop. After that, I opened it and under “file” there is then the option to “save as txt.”

It’s rather long way around, but it works for me. Yeah.

What I got tripped up on was the “save page as” because I just assumed it was the page I was on that would get saved and not the whole file. But you, Bev, reiterating that it wasn’t DRM make me keep trying. Thank you!

And thanks to Jane for posting this.

13. Kimber An
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 19:56:40

I didn’t vote, because I don’t forward emails like that. What I do is post about it on my book review blog. That way readers are getting the news because they want it.

14. Bev Stephans
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 20:24:06

@MB
    When the PDF file opens, look at the top left hand corner of your screen. There should be a picture of a floppy disc. Click on that and it should save your whole file.

15. rebyj
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 20:42:08

I hunt blogs for free offers especially at the end of the month when I’m broke and can’t get new books till payday!!
    I’ve been happily occupied with the free Harlequin downloads today. lol

16. MB (Leah)
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 21:21:31

Bev, I actually tried that earlier and it didn’t work because the file would just open and not automatically download to my computer.

But you saying that it downloaded to your desktop told me that it was possible to actually get it on my computer and not just open on the web, which is why I did what I tried with the “save page as”

At any rate, I got it all working. Thanks.

17. joanne
    Jan 29, 2009 @ 23:16:43

Having no idea where to share this I’ll put it here and hope it’s okay: Part of what you can do on the celebration link is “write” YOUR STORY. You use the drop down menu and voila! You’re a romance… or in my case, a mess of a DNF Novel:

MY HARLEQUIN ROMANCE
    Wealthy Tycoon Nick never thought his morning jog in the Australian Outback would draw him into a ring of cold-blooded killers. Or that one of the murder suspects would be Joanne-’the hopelessly romantic, half-conscious woman he found washed up on the beach… dressed in the clothes of a super successful businesswoman and dripping blood.

“Trust no one” was all the modest femme fatale remembered. But as her memory of that night came back, so did an overwhelming fear and the feeling that she was in serious danger. With nowhere else to turn, she had to trust Nick with her life. And in an unguarded moment, he”

That’s it…. he…. what? Oh, real life? He’s been sleeping for over an hour, LMAO. Try it, it’s really funny stuff.

I should mention that Harlequin says we can share.

Jan 30, 2009 @ 13:49:10

@joanne OMG – that’s hilarious. I just did it for myself. I think that you didn’t scroll down to see the rest of the story. Here’s mine. I can’t believe mine is a secret baby story. I’m not even a fan of babies.

Wealthy Tycoon Ned grieved the loss of his wife and baby. Then he discovers his son is alive-’and living with an adoptive mother-’international jet-setter Jane. Despite the secrets and lies, Ned can’t deny the truth: adventurous Jane loves the boy. Yet Ned grew up without a father and won’t do that to his own child.

When someone dangerous comes after them, wealthy tycoon Ned takes Jane and his son into hiding in Paris, the City of Lights. As he grows closer to them, he discovers much about family life. After his dark, troubled past, he’s finally found faith and family. And he’ll do anything to protect both.

19. Amy
    Jan 31, 2009 @ 09:47:40

Having some issues with the Mobis at the moment but they’ll be back up once the problem is solved.

I’m not sure why the eHarlequin downloads won’t give you the option to save the PDFs, but try http://www.HarlequinCelebrates.com — downloading from there gives the option to either open or save.
    ~Amy

20. TerryS
    Jan 31, 2009 @ 12:00:20

This is the first time I have seen “ereader” as an option directly from Harlequin and not through a third party vendor (ie, Fictionwise, Ereader, etc.).

I sure hope this is a sign of things to come because I sure would like to purchase directly from EHarlequin but I refuse to use Mobi!

Thanks to Harlequin for these free ebook downloads. Even though I had already previously purchased several of the free books I downloaded them again anyway. I figure Harlequin is taking numbers for the different lines downloaded.