1. DS
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 13:34:58

I don’t think I will ever get over J. R. Warden and the Cellies.

2. Lori
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 13:39:41

Wouldn’t a name have to start with a J?

3. Emmy
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 14:02:27

Can we go with the Dear Author Reader and Gossip Society…DA RAGS for short?

4. joanne
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 14:10:19

OMG!!! I’m so excited!!!!

Since I gave up using LOL for Lent I’ve been devoted to exclamation points!!!!

Wonderful poll question!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont’ care what we’re called as long as the reviews keep coming!!!!!!!!!

5. rigmarole
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 14:27:15

I’m leery because I follow a blog where the ladies in charge are Gretchen and won’t stop trying to make fetch happen. It’s truly embarrassing.

6. Liza
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 15:44:49

My vote is no.

I’ve been trying out j names (’cause Lori’s right) and all the good ones have already been taken.

The ones that are left aren’t real appealing. Maybe “the jerk’s” if we could get Steve Martin to be the mascot.

7. theo
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 16:05:05

I voted Yes! though I don’t think the group has to start with a J. D-literates seemed like a great choice to me. As long as I’m not in a cage, cell or embarrassed to mention the name, it’s all good :D

8. jmc
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 16:31:14

Do you suppose that if we went by DAR the Daughters of the American Revolution would have something to say about it?

9. Jill Sorenson
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 18:35:42

The dear authorettes?

10. K. Z. Snow
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 19:35:14

Oh, gawd, no. Like what? The Dearies? DA Readery? No. The world has a surfeit of cuteness. (Emmy’s wasn’t bad, though.)

11. Janine
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 22:28:15

I could be persuaded otherwise, but I lean against it. While having a name would be fun, I also think it might make us appear more cliquish to newcomers, and trigger feelings of exclusion in the lurkers and readers who don’t post that often.

12. KristieJ
    Apr 10, 2009 @ 22:31:11

For some reason it wouldn’t let me vote – but if it had – I would have voted no for the reason that Janine gives.

13. Sam
    Apr 11, 2009 @ 00:30:43

What about the Authority? It’s already a word, and it has the word author in it too.

14. Anita C.
    Apr 11, 2009 @ 02:18:11

How about fitting in the name of my book club – Bas Bleu – which I admit I already stole. It means Bluestocking in French, which was what French school girls wore. Your mother would be very upset if you were of marriagable age and still being called a Bas Bleu. “Your brains will scare off any decent husband, my dear.”

We love our book club name (taken from the catalog and website of Bas Bleu, which is a great bookseller store.)

How about DA’s BB’s (which could stand for Bebes, Bas Bleus, or Brigett Bardots.)

Too crazy, right?

15. Kimber An
    Apr 11, 2009 @ 05:42:58

I voted ‘no’ on Bitchery. To me, it’s a demeaning name. I’d stop visiting.

However, if you want to choose something else, something with respect to our diverse sensititivities, I say go for it.

16. Estara
    Apr 11, 2009 @ 10:26:29

Well, bitchery is already taken by the Smart Bitches anyway…

I don’t really care either way, but I do have a historical J-name to offer: the Janissaries.

The Janissary corps were significant in a number of ways. The Janissaries wore uniforms, were paid in cash as regular soldiers, and marched to distinctive music, the mehter, similar to a modern marching band.

Or is that association too brutal? Maybe turn it into “Janeissaries” ^^…

17. Karen Scott
    Apr 12, 2009 @ 11:53:46

I think having a name for DA Readers would be too cliquey. I voted I don’t care, but actually, I probably should have voted no.