Reading Definition Poll
The National Endowment for the Arts said that there was an uptick in reading this year for the first time in 26 years, but it is also the first time that the survey included reading on the Internet.
The PDF report is here. (Haven’t read it yet). From the report is this statistic:
11. Most online readers also report reading books.
- 84 percent of adults who read literature (fiction, poetry, or drama) online or downloaded
- from the Internet also read books, whether print or online.
- For adults who read online articles, essays, or blogs, the book-reading rate is 77 percent.
- Nearly 15 percent of all U.S. adults read literature online in 2008.
- Online reading rates drop with age.
N7: As with novel and/or short story readers, the greatest percentage of online literary readers said they enjoy reading mysteries (46.3 percent), compared with the percentages for thrillers (32.2 percent), romance (23.3 percent), science fiction (29.4 percent) and "other fiction" (40.1 percent)-‘the second most popular category.
There’s a difference between immersive reading and blog reading, so should the internet reading be counted in this study? I.e., is reading, reading no matter what the form, length and format?