Do You Use Twitter?

[poll id="171"]

Maili (@McVane) had a great comment yesterday regarding the promotional benefits for authors on Twitter.   I love Twitter for all the reasons I don’t love blogs. You get a real sense a person’s individuality and personality because of the spontaneous (as @PortaDaCosta said) and organic nature of Twitter (as Maili termed it).   I’ll be doing a full post on this later in June, but I’m curious how many people here are on Twitter.

1. Lyrical Press, Inc.
    May 27, 2009 @ 09:20:53

We were slow to pick up on the Twitter craze. Lyrical now has a Twitter account, as does our executive editor, Emma Wayne Porter.

If you don’t mind me posting a link here, she actually blogged a little something about Twitter and a fun way Lyrical is considering accepting pitches for our Elite imprints.

I apologize if links aren’t allowed, Jane.

Lyrical has seen a dramatic jump in attention since we’ve begun using Twitter.

On a personal level, it’s actually a really fun site. I’m glad I caved and opened an account on that site.

- Renee

2. Tili
    May 27, 2009 @ 09:30:43

I have a twitter account so I can follow authors, bloggers, fictional characters, etc., but I don’t really make any posts of my own. I don’t need it to communicate with friends, and I figure the semi-famous people I follow dont’ really have an interest in my daily life. I have used it to respond to others’ tweets and join discussions occasionally, though.

3. katiebabs
    May 27, 2009 @ 09:32:13

Twitter can be a great tool, depending on what you use it for. Twitter accounts for almost 40% of my blog traffic now.

4. Melissa Francis
    May 27, 2009 @ 09:35:32

I love twitter. It’s fun, interactive, and educational. (I promise, #3drunkwords was just as fun as it was educational) It also allows me to reach people in my home state that I normally might not have had access to. I love that.

5. Leslie Dicken
    May 27, 2009 @ 09:43:49

It’s funny because I can see how much some use Twitter (such as yourself Jane) as a conversation tool. However, it can only be as good as those who follow each other. For instance, if you don’t follow me, then I can’t have a continuous conversation with you without always adding the “@jane_l” tag. And I often feel like I’m eavesdropping on others’ conversations.

That said, I still like Twitter and will continue to use it. However, I lean more towards Facebook for promotion (excluding the goofy applications). I’ve posted small excerpts from my upcoming release on both FB and Twitter. I get a many comments on FB about them (giving me a known reaction to my promotional efforts) but almost nothing in response on Twitter. Does that mean people aren’t reading them? Or just not commenting?

As always, I’m open for all communication and promotional opportunities. :-)

6. Kalen Hughes
    May 27, 2009 @ 09:49:22

I just don’t *get* Twitter. It’s an epic fail for me. Even the feeds that my friends rave about (Stephen Fry anyone?) leave me baffled.

7. Jill Sorenson
    May 27, 2009 @ 10:02:57

Kalen, I don’t get Twitter either. Or, I didn’t–for about a week. Now I’m coming around. Next week I might be addicted. It wasn’t love at first sight, but it’s growing on me.

8. Laura
    May 27, 2009 @ 10:23:24

Kalen -

I am totally with you. I love blogs, but I just don’t understand the appeal of twitter. I don’t want to know what people are thinking the second they think it, nor do I want to be able to shove my foot in my mouth that quickly. I prefer the necessary filter of the blog.

9. Edith
    May 27, 2009 @ 10:27:43

I’m on LJ and some people’s LJ posts contain only their Twitter feeds. Boooorrrring. I drop ‘em. So I’m another who doesn’t get twitter. I’ve also checked out the supposedly “great” Twitterers and my only reaction is YAWN.

10. Bree
    May 27, 2009 @ 10:30:27

I love it, because I love to chat. I love to see what goofy thoughts people have, and I love to have goofy thoughts with them. I love to get in crazy discussions about my favorite authors and I love to talk to katiebabs at least once a week about how hot I think Ryan Reynolds is.

Having said that…I don’t think I’m using it as a promotional tool. But I guess I’m not trying to. I mention free stuff that I’m giving away and sometimes talk about what weird or exciting things are going on in my author life, but I get bored with twitter feeds that are nothing but promotion–and to be honest I get bored with ones that are nothing but serious business all the time. I’m in it for the fun. :)

11. Jaci Burton
    May 27, 2009 @ 10:31:46

I have mad love for Twitter. It provides me a new avenue to meet people I wouldn’t ordinarily have a chance to meet and interact with, and it’s a different way to communicate besides blogging/facebook/myspace. It’s much more immediate and a great way to disseminate and share information. It’s also a lot of fun and I feel less isolated as I’m plugging away on a book.

12. Lori G
    May 27, 2009 @ 10:37:02

Yes, mad love for Twitter. (Great term!!)

I don’t post often but I like to follow authors I enjoy as well as the occasional celebrity and blogger. Love RR Theatre on Friday nights (bless you Jane for that piece of awesome!) and from Twitter I’ve entered contests and have won 3 books so far (thank you Maya Banks!!!)

Also read Katiebabs blog this morning because of a Twitter post she made and have just enjoyed the heck out of it.

May 27, 2009 @ 10:41:40

@Leslie Dicken To me, the best part about twitter are the multiple conversations going on. I love the “eavesdropping.” Isn’t that the whole point? I try to follow a diverse intersection of romance and digi pub because those are my main interests. There isn’t a thing that goes on in publishing that isn’t passed through twitter at some point, I believe.

Last night @CourtneyMilan, @redrobinreader, and @jackiebarbosa were discussing constitutional law points as it relates to Prop 8 while @angelajames, @VictoriaDahl, @DonLinn (Taunton Press person) and I were discussing menages, twincest, and other multiples. It was kind of mind bending in a great way. I figured it all came down to same sex loving.

14. Kalen Hughes
    May 27, 2009 @ 11:02:04

Maybe I’m just not the right kind of person for Twitter (note: I’m not a MySpace or FaceBook person either). I even stopped reading DA during the Romantic Times convention because the sidebar of Tweets drove me batty (and no, I couldn’t just not look; it’s there and my brain *has* to read it)! I don’t want to know that your shuttle was late, that your bag was lost, that the ECmen are shorter than you expected, that your eggs were cold, that you’re drunk now, etc. I REALLY just don’t care, and I don’t have the time . . .

And I don’t want to discuss stuff in 140 letter bursts either.

About the only use I could see for Twitter is keeping a group connected at a convention or other event: *I’m in line for Pirates of the Caribbean* *We’re just getting out of The Tiki Room* *Anyone for drinks at Ariel’s Grotto?* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes*

But I think texting would work just as well.

15. Kalen Hughes
    May 27, 2009 @ 11:02:58

p.s.

This whole topic makes me feel old. :(

16. Phyl
    May 27, 2009 @ 11:04:08

No, I don’t Twitter either. It looks and sounds fun. I admit I’m even a little envious of all of you who do it. I almost feel like I’m back in high school being the dork watching all of the “cool kids.” But there comes a point in this marvelous world interconnectivity where I have to say enough already. This is just my own personal line in the sand. Today.

17. veinglory
    May 27, 2009 @ 11:20:19

I don’t use twitter for chat and quickly stop following those who do. But selective following of people who are “in the know” can be very illuminating.

18. MarnieColette
    May 27, 2009 @ 11:25:43

I love twitter. It is a nice avenue to see into the life of the authors you love. Take for instance @genashowalter – she constantly updates on her writing status and for a reader who is patiently waiting for a book this sorta (not as good as the actually thing) makes it easier to wait. It also allows for fans to “talk” to their favorite authors. Plus its a great marketing tool for spreading the word. I agree with Melissa Francis #3drunkwords was very educational.

19. Bree
    May 27, 2009 @ 11:34:20

(note: I'm not a MySpace or FaceBook person either).

Honestly? Neither am I. I loathe MySpace with a passion and can’t be bothered to log in to facebook until some high school friend e-mails me to ask if I’ve seen the new pictures of their kid yet.

And yes. If someone’s twitter feed is filled with, “Made a sandwich. Went to the bathroom. I like anchovies. Lost my remote control,” then eventually I might get bored. Maybe I’m just lucky in who I follow. I get book recs, recipes for dinner, links to interesting blog posts, industry news & squealing about TV shows. However, I fully acknowledge even that is not for everyone.

Though to be perfectly fair…I’m also under 30, a big dork, and have both a computer science degree and a short attention span. Twitter could have been invented for me.

20. tricia
    May 27, 2009 @ 11:49:59

I voted no… I’ve read enough of Twitter to know that it’s not for me. The truth is, I only want so much information, and the blogs I read provide enough of it for me. And I think, as an outsider who’s only observing the conversation instead of participating in it, I find the conversations disjointed, thereby keeping me at a distance. I may be missing out on things that I might find important or useful, but the truth is that if it’s that important, it’ll filter to me eventually.

Also, I think it’s another situation in which people are playing nice, and not letting on to some Twitterers that what they have to say is really, really, *really* dull. So many times, what the people in the conversation are putting out there is only interesting to the people Twittering themselves, and not to the rest of the world. In cases like that, I wish people would keep *something* to themselves.

21. Jude
    May 27, 2009 @ 12:04:04

@katiebabs:

LOL…it accounts for MOST of my blog traffic now. :)

Neat how the vote is almost exactly split down the middle.

22. joanne
    May 27, 2009 @ 12:05:18

God I always sound so wishy-washy but my answer is: sometimes.

When the RW twittering was going on and the links were there at the top of different sites I would click on them and follow for a while. After each viewing (and man, what a time-suck they can be) I felt like all that had happened was that I missed some fun things along the way. For me it’s as Leslie Dicken said @#5, if you’re not in someone’s loop then it’s like hearing about a party you weren’t invited to attend.

And again me with the constant questions but who the hell names these things? Twitter? Blog? Tweet? Buzz?

23. MB (Leah)
    May 27, 2009 @ 12:08:02

I have a love/hate thing going with Twitter. I jumped on fairly quickly and enjoyed it at first but then I found myself spending too much time refreshing, not wanting to miss anything and I didn’t like that. Kind of agitated me. So I go through periods of not logging on for days/weeks and then I’ll go on for a few days until I get fed up again.

What I love it for is all the latest info that gets passed around. Books, publishing, latest scandal, etc. If you follow people like Jane here, or Angela James, SB, you get so much back info that isn’t found anywhere else and I like that. Plus it’s great for things like queryfail09, AmazonRank and other special discussions that come up.

And I enjoy following some authors who are really hilarious in their little quips during the day. I’ve read books by authors I started following on Twitter who I never heard of before that.

One thing I don’t like is that I feel quite outside of things and feel uncomfortable about jumping in when someone I don’t know so well, or a more well known author, says something interesting. For the most part it’s not cliquey, but I feel it is sometimes and so I usually just follow and keep my mouth shut unless I’m responding to someone who I know knows me.

24. rebyj
    May 27, 2009 @ 12:11:31

I like it for daily conversations and for following special events that I’d never get to go to such as RT, RWA etc. I am REALLY looking forward to the BEA tweets coming up this weekend.

25. MaryK
    May 27, 2009 @ 12:13:28

No. I did go to Jane and SB Sarah’s Twitter pages to read the conference tweets (I coudn’t keep up with them on the websites), but it was frustrating because it’s like hearing half of a phone conversation.

26. kimber an
    May 27, 2009 @ 12:20:37

I don’t have time to Tweet. I’m signed up on Twitter to ‘listen’ in on the tweets of people I know and respect, but that’s it. In fact, I only have time to check on one Twitter daily and that’s the writing tips of Jean Lorrah. A writer’s got to prioritize! If it becomes important to Tweet, then I will.

27. Jayne
    May 27, 2009 @ 12:28:49

Kalen, we’re twins separated at birth! I don’t get twitter, don’t do facebook, don’t do myspace. Sometimes this makes me feel as old as dirt but there it is.

28. Portia Da Costa
    May 27, 2009 @ 12:43:19

I love Twitter! I originally joined to phone tweet from RWA last year, but never got around to that, due to rampant jet lag making me too tired to manipulate my new phone! I didn’t use it much at all at first, then I started following Gia Milanovich when the Large Hadron Colider went online, because she’s the wife of one of the physicists and I wanted to know whether LHC was going to work or not. After that I gradually built up my following/followers lists, and now absolutely adore Twitter both as a social gathering place and a fantastic way of getting information quickly about unfolding events. For instance when the #amazonfail occurred…

I probably spend way too much time on Twitter, but I’m sure if I didn’t tweet, I’d just find another way to do something other than write. And sometimes exchanging tweets with twitter friends actually provides a source of inspiration. :)

29. Marianne McA
    May 27, 2009 @ 13:21:03

Everything that Kalen said, plus it gave me a different feel about DA when it was on the sidebar – felt more like a message board, less like a blog.

(And I am old.)

30. Tammy
    May 27, 2009 @ 14:17:33

I use Twitter only to dynamically update my website. I have no interest in following others using the tool – I have enough trouble keeping focused as it is!

The most prolific Twitterers I see seem to use the tool to faciliate their sheer navel-gazing narcissism.

Count me in as one more who did not like the RT tweets in the DA sidebar.

31. che
    May 27, 2009 @ 15:03:15

I don’t get twitter either. I don’t have an account and I doubt I ever will, so maybe it contributes to my not getting it. I did check out some tweeter feeds here and elsewhere.

As for keeping up with an author’s WIP, don’t many of them do that on their blogs?

As for “eavesdropping” on conversations, how is that different from lurking in blog comments? Same with following conversations. Isn’t that what we do here in comments?

I don’t see how posting updates on a blog is different than twittering them.

Not being snarky- I just don’t see the appeal when blogs, facebook, texting, etc seem to already offer the same benefits.

Seems some people are followers (keeping up with celebs or favorite authors/bloggers and some want a following. Guess I’m a neutral.

32. AmyW
    May 27, 2009 @ 15:12:21

I love Twitter. Completely addicted.

It’s true what some people have said — I also don’t want to know what people are eating, listening to, etc. constantly. But I do want to know when my fave blogs update their site, when there’s a new review I should read, when an author is holding a contest, what interesting article someone has found, what questions people have about my company, etc. I use Twitter more for discovering great links in one spot. That’s become my main criteria in following people and I think that’s a benefit that people who focus on the “What are you doing now?” prompt don’t realize until they start twittering.

33. MoJo
    May 27, 2009 @ 15:16:30

To me, Twitter’s like a big cocktail party where you can roam around the little conversation clusters and throw in your 2c if you want. Or it’s like a party line telephone line, where everybody knows everybody else is listening–and they don’t care.

It opens up pathways of conversation with people you’d never find otherwise.

I read someone say this of Twitter: Otherwise ordinary people become, through their expertise and willingness to speak and share, extraordinary to others.

34. Imogen Howson
    May 27, 2009 @ 15:23:14

I love Twitter. It’s like a huge party where you can hear every conversation you’re interested in, and walk away without causing offence from any boring ones. Or like an equally huge conference call with all your friends – plus Stephen Fry and @Astro_Mike. Tweeting from orbit, how can you not love that?

It’s less intrusive than an instant messenger program, it’s much less effort than blogging/commenting on blogs, and it’s faster and less formal than email.

I don’t use it for promotion, because I loathe and despise all-promo-all-the-time Twitterers and stop following them. I use it for chatting to friends and keeping up with interesting people in publishing and, well, to be honest, finding out what other people are having for lunch and whether it’s raining where they are. I work at home–it’s nice to have a bit of inconsequential casual adult conversation occasionally, even if it is 140 characters at a time.

35. Kalen Hughes
    May 27, 2009 @ 15:33:50

Kalen, we're twins separated at birth! I don't get twitter, don't do facebook, don't do myspace. Sometimes this makes me feel as old as dirt but there it is.

I’ll take that, Jayne. *grin*

It's true what some people have said -’ I also don't want to know what people are eating, listening to, etc. constantly. But I do want to know when my fave blogs update their site, when there's a new review I should read, when an author is holding a contest, what interesting article someone has found, what questions people have about my company, etc.

@AmyW: Ok, this sort of makes sense to me. It’s like a cellphone linked email newsletter ping.

36. C2
    May 27, 2009 @ 17:02:02

I love Twitter! The amazing number of topics under discussion – some fun, some educational, some just completely random – and the social aspect combined with no pressure to join in, if you just want to lurk, and no “OMG how dare you interrupt our conversation?!”, if you pop into something mid-stream = win!

We may not use Twitter as it was originally intended but I think our way is better. :-D

37. Lorelie
    May 27, 2009 @ 17:05:49

I think, as an outsider who's only observing the conversation instead of participating in it, I find the conversations disjointed, thereby keeping me at a distance.

@tricia: But that’s the thing – you don’t stay an outsider for long if you get in there and talk to others. I’ve made contact with people I’m not sure I would have really connected with any other way.

And as you might be able to guess, I’m a twitter addict.

38. Robin
    May 27, 2009 @ 17:14:23

Another Twitter addict here, and another one who doesn’t get the Facebook/myspace thing AT ALL.

Who knows why it clicks for some of us and not for others. I like being limited to 140 characters, trying to say what I want in that short a stretch. I am much more casual about what I say on Twitter, much more expressive of my personal opinions on issues, which may be part of its appeal for me.

The change in @replies policy SUCKS, and they need to change things so that @replies don’t count toward your 140 characters, but it’s still a fun way to engage in casual conversation with different circles of people, to obtain information and links of interest, to talk book recs and reviews, and to keep up with releases, blog posts, etc. — at least for me. I only wish I could figure out how to follow more people without feeling overwhelmed.

39. Karen Templeton
    May 27, 2009 @ 17:35:19

I ditched MySpace a couple months ago, love Twitter and FB, which serve different purposes. As does a blog.

When I used to blog, maybe folks would see my posts and maybe not…but they had to make the effort to get there. Since I’m not exactly a Hot Ticket, interaction was limited. And writing a decent blog post several times a week — sorry, just don’t have time or energy (or enough to say!) for that. With Twitter, I can either spit out a thought that sails past, or react immediately to someone else’s. Like a tennis game that never stops! I love that! I don’t use it much for promo, although I’ll mention if I have a new excerpt up or book out, and I’ll occasionally talk about a work in progress. (And, FYI, fastest way to get me to unfollow someone is to do nothing BUT promote your work, or mention six times in two hours how you’re up for some award, etc. Now THAT’S boring.) But for the most part, Twitter’s just for fun, to hang out with my buds and shoot the breeze for a few minutes.

Easy, quick and fun — my idea of the perfect social platform!

40. Angeleque Ford
    May 27, 2009 @ 17:57:14

I love twitter.

The interaction and eavesdropping aspect is one of my favorite parts. There’s also great tidbits of information in some of the tweets.

And it’s great when you make a random tweet and get recommendations for books or music or movies.

41. Aoife
    May 27, 2009 @ 18:51:27

I voted no. I do get the appeal of Twitter. Just not for me. For a while, I seriously considered getting on board, but after checking out DA (during RT) and some other sites, I came to the conclusion that the very things that others cite as being why they like Twitter are the very things that turn me off.

It’s a time suck. I have enough trouble keeping up with review sites and blogs that I know offer valuable information, and intelligent and stimulating discussion, without adding something that is, for the most part, from what I’ve seen, fairly superficial. I really, really don’t care if you’ve just tried a new recipe for Hamburger and Peanutbutter Surprise.

There seems to be a certain level of “insiderism.” I can see the appeal and fun if you are Jane, or Robin, or a published author, but I can’t help wondering how much fun, in the long term, is had by the majority of people. The on-the-outside-looking-in comment seems to one that is made fairly often, even by people who enjoy Twitter.

Some owners of some sites that I used to find enjoyable or valuable seem to be spending less time updating their blogs, and more time on Twitter. If I have to sign up for Twitter to hear about new releases, interesting updates, stimulating conversations, etc., eventually I stop visiting those blogs or sites again, because there’s nothing new to draw me there, and I hate the sense that all the interesting stuff is happening somewhere else.

I guess I’m old and out of the loop, too. I’m good with that.

42. theo
    May 27, 2009 @ 19:28:51

I know I must have said this before but…

Hi, my name is theo, and I am a twitterholic. :-D

Can’t help it. I love the constant conversations and yes, I am a covo voyeur as well. That ‘eavesdropping’ even though I’ve interacted with everyone I follow. I love the info updates, and the links to new places and I trust them because they’re coming from people I ‘know’.

Myspace? Haven’t looked at my page in ages.

LJ? I have one that’s an extension of the board I moderate. I find it almost impossible to figure out the way the comments are listed and the ‘pages’ are done.

And facebook? I’ve never even looked at the site. Have no desire to. *ducks and runs*

43. Shiloh Walker
    May 27, 2009 @ 19:57:57

yeah I use it…it’s disturbingly addictive, though and I have to limit how much time I spend on it. Can’t write if I’m busy tweeting…twittering…whichevering…

I definitely like it more than myspace, not as much as facebook, and it still doesn’t serve quite the same purpose as my blog. But as long as I control my procrastinational leanings, I can do both. I think.

44. Fantasy Dreamer
    May 27, 2009 @ 20:05:48

Wow, reading the comments, the ones who like Twitter, have expressed in one way or another exactly why I like Twitter also. I’d want mention that I like that you can walk away at anytime and then come back, take back up where you start or just push forward.

I’m also not a Facebook or MySpace person. Facebook has too many shoes and drinks, etc. being passed or gifted – what’s the point in that? MySpace pages are just loud (literally) and too busy – too many things happens at once when visiting someone’s page.

45. Mireya
    May 27, 2009 @ 20:12:27

I only turn on my cell phone when I need to make a phone call. I voted no. Additionally the sheer amount of drivers around me using cell phones and texting while driving disturbs me. It is illegal to do so here in NY… and still, you should see how many people break the law without a second thought… all driving poorly. I really have no desire in joining the fad.

46. Leslie Dicken
    May 27, 2009 @ 20:37:58

@Jane:
    Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy and LEARN SO MUCH by reading all of these conversations, but they are often hard to follow if I’m not “following” all parties. ;-)And, unfortunately, I just don’t have the time to keep up!

But I was on Twitter before Twitter was cool and mainstream, so I’m not giving up on it! LOL!

47. Robin
    May 27, 2009 @ 21:10:44

Whoa, am I the only one who’s seeing a LARGE font on the blog?

May 27, 2009 @ 21:27:03

@Robin I’m testing out a plugin and it’s conflicting which is why you see the larger font.

49. Keira Soleore
    May 27, 2009 @ 21:43:27

(I’m seeing the intermittent font changes, too.)

I love Twitter. Time suck? Yes. But that part of it is controllable. How much or who you follow is in your hands. Information exchange is priceless, because of the spontaneity. Blogs tend to have more formal language and there’s the self-consciousness of it being representative of site/brand/group/etc. Tweets are personal, and many times, what springs first to mind. I like the creativity.

50. Kat
    May 27, 2009 @ 22:10:24

I’m more of a twit rather than a twerp, and even though I enjoy the occasional spontaneous convo, it can get overwhelming. I prefer to switch to DM/email/chat after a few one-on-one replies. Also, Twitter doesn’t send SMS messages where I live, and I refuse to shell out the money for internet on my mobile, so it’s not actually a very portable app for me.

I still love blogs (reading and writing them) best. I disagree that blogs don’t showcase individual personalities. Like all things, I think that just depends on what kind of blog it is.

51. SonomaLass
    May 27, 2009 @ 23:25:56

I like Twitter on days when I have time for it, and it doesn’t bother me (or anyone else!) when some days I don’t. It’s fast and easy, and fun, which counts for a lot. I also like the 140 character limit, because it keeps me from going ON and ON, as I am prone to do in blog comments…

It won’t replace longer conversations in other online venues for me, including here and SBTB. Nor will it replace Facebook — I ♥ Facebook for getting and keeping in touch with a wide variety of old friends, former students, and my adult children and their friends.

Oh, and I LOVED the Twitter feeds during RT, and I look forward to them from other conferences. Much the best way of feeling like I was there when I wasn’t, with updates in the moment rather than when someone could find the time or energy to write a post about what they’d been up to.

52. Keziah Hill
    May 28, 2009 @ 00:55:08

I’m a guilty twitter fan. It sucks up too much of my time, but I love being able to access it on my iphone. In fact I prefer to access it there rather than my desktop. I love the random conversations and the odd facts and info. And there is an immediacy and intimacy to some of the conversations which is a blast. I love having a quick convo with someone in North America or Vietnam or Paris. Sometimes I can feel a bit like a wallflower with no one to talk to, but other times I chatter away like everyone else. I don’t like it being used for promo much. That can get very dreary. #rrtheatre is great.

53. Janine
    May 28, 2009 @ 01:20:08

At the moment I’m not on twitter. I’m confused about whether or not to sign up for it because on the one hand, the tweets I see in blog sidebars often make me feel I’m missing out on a lot of fun, but on the other hand, I don’t need another timesuck.

54. Maili
    May 28, 2009 @ 03:38:12

The majority of twitter users are in their 40s, according to this Telegraph article: Middle aged driving Twitter’s success.

@Janine

But you still control how much you take. You can limit how many you want to follow, e.g. all updates of your chosen follow will appear on your screen. If one talks too much, you can simply click ‘unfollow’ to reduce the noise level.

@to the rest
    I don’t track all conversations and I don’t feel I need to. Just a few that interests me. I can drop in and out any time I want. There really is no ‘inside crowd’. I had a conversation with someone about a French film a while ago and a stranger out of the blue responded to our conversation and we responded. It really is that flexible.

It’s not that different from a message board, really. If anything, Twitter is a combination of a message board and the instant messaging. Twitter is originally designed for you to report to all what you do any time throughout day or night (“Am eating Italian”), but quite a few users use it as a social platform for people to exchange information, news, URLs, chit chat and recommendations. It’s not all ‘me, me, me, me’. And you can drop in and out any time.

It’s not a constant stream of many different voices, either, because it only happens when you clicked to ‘follow’ your chosen number of people (and they follow you back if they want). Only voices you see are those you purposely clicked to ‘follow’.

More you follow, bigger the stream of voices. If it gets too much, unfollow a number until it’s at manageable level or within your comfort zone. You don’t need to speak up, either. You could just sit back and read their “tweets” any time you visit your page.

I joined only a couple of months ago and it WAS confusing at first, but it’s so user friendly that it didn’t take long for me to figure out how it works.

My mother in law (who’s in her 70s) uses Twitter to keep track of her adult children and grandchildren’s tweets and photos. She doesn’t like emails (sorry, Sarah!) and a relative’s family message board. Messages on Twitter are short and to the point, which suits her personality. She hardly responds to those tweets. Just an occasional “Look at how he’s grown!”

But please don’t feel you’re missing out on anything by not joining Twitter. It’s just a different form of communication that happens to set at a different pace.

There’s no harm in trying, though, even just for one day. If you need help setting up your account or have a grip on how it works, please do ask for help. A lot will be happy to help out. I know I would. :)

55. Dana
    May 28, 2009 @ 11:41:00

I pretty much just lurk on twitter. :p I’m following several authors/blogs/random people, but haven’t tweeted anything. I do like the directory you guys set up for the romance community though. I found several authors who I didn’t know had twitter accounts.

56. Kalen Hughes
    May 28, 2009 @ 16:47:02

Laurie Avoids Blogging Craze
    Hugh Laurie’s fans won’t receive many updates from him on Twitter.com anytime soon — he can’t see the point of the social networking site.

The “House” star has acquired thousands of followers on the blogging site but he rarely logs in to his account because he “doesn’t understand” the online craze.

He explains, “As I look around my friends’ tweets I see banality on all sides. I don’t understand the purpose of it.”

But Laurie can see why his former “Jeeves and Wooster” co-star Stephen Fry is one of the most popular celebrity tweeters, branding his friend’s comments “the absolute best — the cream of the crop.”

He adds: “I think if people were able to take these 140 characters and develop a poetic Western form — a haiku of our own in which all human existence could be compressed into those 140 characters — that would be a satisfying thing, but that’s not what I see when I read them.”

Saw this on SFGate and thought, Wow, that’s spooky, LOL!

57. Bookwormom
    May 28, 2009 @ 21:11:15

I have to say I don’t Tweet or do Facebook or MySpace either. It’s enough for me to read down my TBR & keep up with my blog, honestly. I do follow people on Twitter, though. Mostly ‘cuz I’m nosey. LOL :) It’s a great place for book & movie & website reccs. I do text like crazy though, so I can see why people love Twitter.

~Amanda

58. Bookwormom
    May 28, 2009 @ 21:20:20

PS- if Maili would just blog again I’d probably swear off of Twitter completely. :)

59. Bookwormom
    May 28, 2009 @ 21:24:50

~Amanda

60. Bookwormom
    May 28, 2009 @ 21:28:53

Sorry for the duplicate post.

61. MissM
    May 30, 2009 @ 21:43:32

Jane and @SmartBitches have the BEST Twitter conversations! I lurk and read and laugh.

62. Lynne Simpson
    May 30, 2009 @ 23:55:57

I think Twitter is a neat idea, but I just can’t afford that kind of time suck. I’d have to push something else off my schedule in order to carve out even ten minutes a day for it, and I know once I got started it would turn into half an hour, an hour, or more.

Twitter also reminds me a lot of the online chat services that were so popular in the 80s and 90s. Sure, they were fun and I had some neat conversations and met interesting people, but I’m so totally burned out on chat systems that I haven’t used one in years. Maybe in another decade I’ll use whatever chatty thing is in vogue at the time, but until then, probably not. :-)

63. Janine
    Jun 01, 2009 @ 05:33:30

@Janine
    But you still control how much you take. You can limit how many you want to follow, e.g. all updates of your chosen follow will appear on your screen. If one talks too much, you can simply click ‘unfollow' to reduce the noise level.

@Maili/Jaili, you’ve got me very seriously contemplating twittering now. I find all forms of socializing on the web highly addictive. I guess my fear is that I will be the one who talks too much and makes people click “unfollow.”