Ability to Edit Comments Poll

Ability to edit comments

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

I’ve disabled the ability to edit the comments because it was taking the individual pages alot of time to load. Would you rather endure a slower loading page so long as you can have the ability to edit your comments?

1. Val Kovalin
    Sep 27, 2008 @ 14:17:42

I tend to get impatient with slow-loading pages. Plus, I’m used to not having that edit-option here at Dear Author (I think I’ve only encountered the option once, and only recently). So I wouldn’t miss the edit option if it goes away.

2. azteclady
    Sep 27, 2008 @ 14:36:33

I don’t much care one way or another–I can always post again if the typo is bad enough.

3. Crys
    Sep 27, 2008 @ 15:34:57

i guess i don’t need the ability to edit comments, so long as everyone presupposes upon seeing my username that in my mind i typed everything perfectly.

in other words, so long as nobody acknowledges my typos ever, or the absurd notion that i am somehow not perfect

4. Kathleen MacIver
    Sep 27, 2008 @ 15:43:12

I’m obsessive about editing typos (ask those who chat with me online. I’ll type entire sentences just to correct a missing apostrophe)… but you’ve got to keep your page load-friendly too.

So I’m with Crys.

5. RfP
    Sep 27, 2008 @ 15:43:20

I miss the Preview. I like to check whether my tags are closed.

6. BevQB
    Sep 27, 2008 @ 17:28:37

Oh, yes- PREVIEW! If nothing else, we can haz preview back? K Thx.

7. Sparky
    Sep 27, 2008 @ 18:01:08

The only time I edit a post, personally, is when I’ve posted something then suddenly want to come back and add MORE because gods know I need more verbosity!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone mud-sling over typos in these comments (and if they did I have a feeling doing so would be very very silly indeed) so i don’t think removing editing would hurt anyone too badly

8. Anthea
    Sep 27, 2008 @ 23:26:14

I’d rather a slower-loading page than having to re-read everyone’s “fix-its”.

9. Kaetrin
    Sep 28, 2008 @ 02:11:44

I don’t mind a slower loading page so I can fix typos etc. Perhaps more important than that however, is the ability to edit to clarify an idea or delete a phrase which may have come out wrong. I try and do the proof reading before I post but a few times the post has gone up and I’ve thought “oh no, that didn’t come out right”. I am really conscious that the written word, devoid as it is of tone (as in voice) or facial expressions (as in other media) can easily be misinterpreted, so I like the edit function for that.

I have this thing though – maybe it’s because of my legal background, that if there are typos, the message is somehow diminished, as if what I’m saying is not as important because I didn’t spell it right….

Other than that, I agree with Crys – especially the part about no-one telling us (!) that we’re less than perfect!

10. Jane O
    Sep 28, 2008 @ 08:09:47

Since I have been known to write in haste and repent at leisure, I appreciate the opportunity to remove my foot from my mouth.

11. Shiloh Walker
    Sep 28, 2008 @ 08:15:09

I definitely miss the edit feature. Miss the preview feature, too, but if I can go back and edit and change ‘teh’ to ‘the’, I’d be happy.

12. Emmy
    Sep 28, 2008 @ 08:39:11

Alot of time loading for whom? I didn’t notice a significant delay in loading at home, but I do from work because it’s an older computer and more people on the server.

It does make me hesitate to comment, LOL. It may not be apparent, but I *do* occasionally self edit and reword some things that may seem too…edgy. And I’m illiterate and have multiple typos that need fixing.

13. Shiloh Walker
    Sep 28, 2008 @ 08:56:02

It does make me hesitate to comment, LOL.

…emmy hesitates?….

LOL. Sorry, Emmy. Couldn’t resist.

14. Emmy
    Sep 28, 2008 @ 09:33:10

LOLZ, Shi. You should see the things I type that never actually make it to being posted. I write alot of things, then delete and walk away. Not always or even often, but it happens.

My evil side is…evil.

15. Darlynne
    Sep 28, 2008 @ 10:38:30

I’d definitely love to see the Preview button again, and I never noticed that the page was particularly slow to load when editing was available.

16. joanne
    Sep 28, 2008 @ 14:15:41

Oh good.. I get to agree with Darlynne *grin*
    I liked the preview option, a lot.

I also didn’t know where else to post this so can I just say: GORGEOUS SITE PAGE! Congrats on the transformation, it’s really excellent.

17. Shiloh Walker