Dear Bitches, Smart Authors Podcast: September 22, 2011: Romangst

dbsa-podcastIt’s podcast time! This week we are talking about what I call “romangst:” angst romance at its finest and most emotional. Sarah and I have an intense discussion of romangst and what makes it good & believable, from historicals to Harlequin Presents. We talk about whether the angsty character be healed, and if we can believe that someone who is that fucked up will have a happy ending as functioning or mostly functioning adult. We are ALL over the place.

Note from Sarah: you may notice that at recording time, I had a cold. Enjoy Stuffy Sarah. I even edited out two sniffles, a sneeze, and the possible sound of my dog hoerking on the rug. You’re welcome! Nothing says “romangst” like dog hoerk.

As per your requests, here are the books we discussed in this podcast – heads up, there are a LOT OF THEM.

Book Cover Book Cover Book Cover

Book Cover Book Cover Book Cover

Book Cover Book Cover Book Cover

Book Cover Book Cover

You can subscribe to our feed at Feedburner or at iTunes. You can also find us at PodcastPickle.

If you have content suggestions or have feedback, email us! The email address for the podcast is [email protected]. Next up: reader mail! And another excerpt of hilarious dubiousness.

1. Evelyn
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 09:56:26

Hi, how can I download the podcast without subscribing to anything? It was possible with the previous ones.

Thanks.

Evelyn

2. Annette
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 10:44:40

@Evelyn:

I just downloaded from PodcastPickle without subscribing to anything. Just click on download. Listening right now, working great so far.

3. Annette
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 11:08:47

@Annette: thanks for your help!

4. Evelyn
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 11:09:25

…sorry, I meant to write Evelyn…it’s late :-)

5. Karenmc
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 11:50:28

Really interesting podcast (and I didn’t notice any hoerking, canine or otherwise). Gave me a couple of new titles to investigate.

6. Kaetrin
    Sep 24, 2011 @ 05:36:18

I listened to the podcast today. I love listening to you two talk about this stuff, thank you!

It’s not Romangst but Stephanie Laurens’ Devil’s Bride is another one where the hero doesn’t say I love you. (He actually says it a few books later in On A Wicked Dawn.) It was obvious that Devil loved Honoria though and I never felt its lack in DB.

7. Aida L. Irizarry
    Oct 25, 2011 @ 18:40:32

“We talk about whether the angsty character be healed, and if we can believe that someone who is that fucked up will have a happy ending as functioning or mostly functioning adult. ”

Interesting topic! Can an “angsty character be healed” and end up as a functioning adult, or close to that?

I think so!