59. Reader Recommendations: Paranormal Romance and Historical Mysteries

Time for listener mail! Jane and Sarah answer two email messages from listeners, one from a reader who is looking for paranormal recommendations, and another who is looking for historical mysteries with perhaps some romance. If you have suggestions as to which titles we totally forgot to mention, please email us!

Here are the books we talk about during this episode:

Book Cry Wolf - Patricia BriggsBook Desperately Seeking Shapeshifter

Book Must Love FangsBook Beauty Dates the Beast

Book Caris Roane -  AscensionBook The Mane Event- Shelley Laurenston

Book Pack Challenge  - Shelley LaurenstonBook Dragon, Actually GA Aiken

Book Nice Girls Don't Have FangsBook How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf

Book  Eileen Wilks - Tempting Danger Eileen WilksBook Fury - Laurann Dohner

Book Pride Mates - Jennifer AshleyBook Darynda Jones - First Grave on the Right

Book Single White VampireBook The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova

Book The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield Book The Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries - Ashley Gardner

Book Cocaine Blues - Phryne Fisher

Possession Ward#1 New York Times bestselling author J.R. Ward explores what really happens when good and evil toy with humanity in her new novel of the Fallen Angels….Pick up your copy of Possession wherever books are sold!

This week’s music was provided by Sassy Outwater, and this track is called Martha Stuart by Enter the Haggis. You can find them on their website and you can find them on iTunes as well.

If you like the podcast, you can subscribe to our feed, or find us at iTunes. You can also find us at PodcastPickle.

Want to suggest a topic or ask a question? Have an idea where the characters can keep their condoms? You can email us at sbjpodcast@gmail.com (WE LOVE EMAIL! Send us some!!) or you can call and leave us a message at our Google voice number: 201-371-DBSA. Please don’t forget to give us a name and where you’re calling from so we can work your message into an upcoming podcast.

Thanks for listening!

1. Amber
    Oct 03, 2013 @ 10:17:57

For historical mysteries, I always recommend the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters and the Molly Murphy series by Rhys Bowen.

2. Laela
    Oct 03, 2013 @ 11:25:05

How can there be a paranormal list without any mention of Kresley Cole? Her Immortals After Dark series is phenomenal. I would also recommend Meljean Brook.

3. Mzcue
    Oct 03, 2013 @ 11:34:18

I might not have a good handle on the delineation between paranormal and urban fiction, so maybe someone can clarify if I’m off base. I include on my paranormal shelf the Psy/Changling books of Nalini Singh, JC Daniels’ “Blade Song” and “Night Blade,” “Wolf Gift” by Anne Rice, Chloe Neill’s Chicagoland Vampire series, Ilona Andrews’ Kate Daniels novels, Jeaniene Frost’s Cat and Bones novels, along with the newer series about Vampire Vlad. You have to be a bit tougher to enjoy J. R. Ward’s “Black Dagger Brotherhood” novels, and Kresly Cole’s Immortals After Dark, since both series have fairly grim parts. Cherise Sinclair’s Wild Hunt Legacy books entertained me through several reads as well.

I haven’t tried Joey W. Hill’s vampire series, but I liked her other books so I bet they’re pretty good. One of my favorite shifter novels is an indie that I first encountered on Literotica, but is now available on Amazon: “Leader of the Pack” by Leighann Pheonix. Still available on Literotica as a freebie is another pack novel called “Bound to My Mate,” by an author with the pseudonym Dr. Wolf.

4. Mzcue
    Oct 03, 2013 @ 11:42:09

And how could I forget Thea Harrison’s “Elder Races” series? The first, “Dragon Bound,” is one of my favorites.

5. Nicole
    Oct 03, 2013 @ 11:49:57

I would highly recommend The Walker Papers series by C. E. Murphy to anybody who likes urban fantasy. I have really enjoyed the progression of Joanne, the main character. There’s romance, but it’s a slow-building one. I’d also recommend Carrie Vaughn’s Kitty Norville series.

6. kamlin
    Oct 03, 2013 @ 12:03:23

Hey how about sherrilyn kenyon, darynda jones, Larissa I one, jennifer armentrout, kristina douglas aka anne stuart, faith hunter, jenn bennett amd the earlier works of gena showalter………

7. Jorrie Spencer
    Oct 03, 2013 @ 17:34:44

For historical mysteries, I highly recommend the Julian Kestrel series by Kate Ross set in Regency England.

8. Jorrie Spencer
    Oct 03, 2013 @ 17:37:33

Oh! Also The Vanished Child by Sarah Smith is a terrific read. New England 1887, and a strong romantic throughline.

9. Dallas
    Oct 04, 2013 @ 20:12:18

Just got a chance to listen to the podcast and chimed in to say that I have read all three of the Jessica Sims paranormal books you mentioned. I totally agree about the books and the order in which you should read them. The best–and the one you should start with, IMHO–is Desperately Seeking Shapeshifter. A fun read, and if I were grading it I’d probably give it a B. (Bonus: Virgin hero) If you like DSS, then go back and read the first one in the series, Beauty Dates the Beast (the worst of the three books, but it will give you some of the back story you probably will want for book 3). Warning: Be prepared to be underwhelmed by BDtB after you read DSS. The third book, Must Love Fangs, is somewhat better than BDtB but not as good as DSS. Just my 2 cents, YMMV

10. MikiS
    Oct 04, 2013 @ 23:24:57

For historical mystery with a touch of romance, try PB Ryan’s Gilded Age series (first book “Still Life with Murder”), Deanna Raybourne, or – for only a touch of romance – Victoria Thompson’s Gaslight Mysteries.