UPDATE Authors Behaving Badly Episode #1: Dara Joy

I hate to do this during Sharon Shinn week but it is an important issue that needs to be addressed. There are still many fans who have paid for Wildcat Arrows and have not received it. Elizabeth, who graciously agreed to be interviewed here at Dear Author, is no longer able to assist in obtaining the book. She has, however, written a lengthy explanation as to how to obtain your book. Please go to this PAGE and read the instructions. If you want the background, you can read the original interview here.

Although unbelievable and totally unconscionable, Dara Joy is still taking orders for this self published book. Readers, don’t be gulled into believing that this book will be sent just because you pay for it. It is clear that you have to undergo considerable amount of effort to get your book including threats of lawsuits and complaints to the attorney general’s office. Please save yourself the grief and do not buy the book.

1. Rosie
    Oct 05, 2006 @ 09:48:27

I’ve only read one Dara Joy book and knew from internet scuttlebutt that she had publisher problems (lawsuit?) but had no idea THIS was going on. Pretty unconscionable.

2. J B
    Oct 05, 2006 @ 10:09:47

How sad. I loved her original series, but didn’t care for her first self pubbed book; I actually never finished it. Because of that, I didn’t go for this latest offering. But to watch an author fall so far, to me, is sad.

3. Meljean
    Oct 05, 2006 @ 11:56:39

*echoing the sadness*

4. Missy
    Oct 05, 2006 @ 12:47:46

I’m deeply saddened by this. I’m one of those folks that ordered the book and still haven’t seen hide nor hair of it. At least I now have a plan of action, thanks to you and Elizabeth. It doesn’t help my broken heart. I own all of her books and am deeply hurt by her actions.

5. Tilly Greene
    Oct 05, 2006 @ 13:29:01

Oh no, before I came over here I emailed again requesting an update…well, at least I know what to do now…thank you ladies. This is very upsetting, I just want the two books I bought back when the announcement first came out or the money back.

Originally I felt just horrible about her having a problem with her publisher, it happens, but this is just not on.

I thank you for interrupting the Shinn week, I’m enjoying it and will be trying her with my next Borders coupon :-)

6. Keishon
    Oct 05, 2006 @ 16:42:33

What a cautionary tale for self-publication. Dary Joy should be the poster child of what and what not to do. I don’t think there’s an author I’d follow like this to self-publication. **Thinking*** Uh. No. Well, I lie. I just bought Deborah Smith’s new book but that’s a little different and she’s a better writer (sorry!). Let me go hide.

7. Angelle Trieste
    Oct 05, 2006 @ 21:29:38

It’s really sad. I used to love her writing so much.

8. Dee
    Oct 06, 2006 @ 10:26:03

This is STILL going on? I think all my shock is stuck on that fact. I’d hoped people would have their books by now.

Poor readers…

9. Niniri
    Oct 26, 2006 @ 19:27:07

It took me about 4 months to get That Familiar Touch a couple of years ago. I have read both sides of the story, and have decided that I will not be purchasing any further of her books. I have to agree with some others who were not overly fond of her self-published efforts.

10. Les
    Feb 11, 2007 @ 20:30:46

I think this is a sad flop for romance readers. I was looking forward to reading more of her books, but seeing this and searching the old book stores and online book stores for just “That familar touch” the cheapest I saw was 49 dollars used. I am not that desperate and I can write my own romance novel.

11. TREY
    Apr 03, 2007 @ 13:28:19

I AM SORRY TO SEE THIS AUTRHOR GO DOWN THIS WAY. I WAS A HUGE FAN OF HERS. HOWEVER, SENSE SHE HAS BEGAN SELF PUBLISH HER OWN NOVELS-THINGS HAVE GONE DOWN HILL. THE COST OF SOME OF HER OLDER NOVELS ARE OUTRAGEOUS.

HOW DOES SHE INTEND TO MAINTAIN HER FAN BASE? I WAS ALSO, DEEPLY SADDEN TO HEAR HOW PEOPLE WERE HAVING DIFFICULTIES IN OBTAINING HER SELF-PUBLISH BOOKS.

SHE WON’T GET A PENNY FROM ME UNTIL SHE CLEAN UP HER ACT.

12. Michelle
    May 06, 2007 @ 14:55:34

I LOVE DARA! I hate this has happened to her. I will not buy ANYONE’S self-published books, but I will not stop being a fan. I hope she she finds a new publisher, and continue her Matrix of Destiny series. I loved the characters she introduced, and would like to contine to read more about them. Hold Your Head Up Ms. Joy.

13. Theresa
    Nov 30, 2010 @ 11:34:36

@Dee: no still haven’t received my books, thats a shame that that is going on.