The Mother of Modern Paranormal Romance?

[poll id=”223″]

I was perusing the HarperCollins catalog and came across the entry which noted Christine Feehan’s Dark Prince was going to be re-released in hardcover with 100 additional pages. I don’t know if this is a rewrite or just extra material.

I mentioned on Twitter that I thought Christine Feehan was the mother of Paranormal Romance. Others disagreed. Michelle Hauf, for example, thought Kenyon or Maggie Shayne and Susan Sizemore pointed toward Chelsea Quinn Yarbro’s St. Germain books:

I would say that Chelsea Quinn Yarbro’s St. Germain books are the first paranormal romances & rest of us are Quinn’s children.

BuriedbyBooks posited that Laurell K Hamilton popularized paranormal romantic elements and Feehan moved those elements from fantasy to romance.

Kenyon’s Fantasy Lover was published in 2002. Laurell K Hamilton’s first book, Guilty Pleasures, was published in 1993. I started reading LKH with Blue Moon, published in 1998. Maggie Shayne’s vampires were introduced in 1993. I am not very familiar with Shayne’s works.

The reason I place Feehan as the mother of PNR is because so many of the elements of her Carpathian series can be found in other series. Dark Prince was first published in 1999 by Dorchester. For example, Feehan’s Carpathians were primarily male. After 200 years of existence, a Carpathian male begins to lose his sanity. He can no longer see in color, loses sexual desire and the ability to feel emotions. All of these things are aroused once they find their mate. They mate for life. The link between the male and female is both in body and in mind.

Carpathians hunted vampires, or Carpathians who had gone rogue. Vampires went rogue when they hadn’t yet found their mates. When the darkness overtakes a Carpathian male, it can be alleviated temporarily when in the act of killing another. At this point, a “good” Carpathian will kill himself by seeking the sun. A bad one turns rogue and becomes the prey of the Carpathian. There are few Carpathians because the lack of females and thus, the lack of progeny.

Carpathians can shapeshift, speak telepathically, and some have special other powers.

JR Ward and Lara Adrian are two popular authors who use variation on of the Carpathian myth. From Ward’s glossary:

transition n. Critical moment in a vampire's life when he or she transforms into an adult. Thereafter, they must drink the blood of the opposite sex to survive and are unable to withstand sunlight. Occurs generally in the mid-twenties. Some vampires do not survive their transitions, males in particular. Prior to their transitions, vampires are physically weak, sexually unaware and unresponsive, and unable to dematerialize. (my emphasis)

In Adrian’s series, the Breed vampires hunt down Rogue vampires, bloodsuckers who have given into their bloodlust. There are few Breeds. Conception for females is rare and the women breedmates, a human gifted with unique blood and DNA properties, are cherished. The Breed vampires consisted solely of males.

The Carpathian stories are almost completely stories of heroes in pursuit who have serious territorial issues much like the Adrian and Ward men.  ¬†While the “alpha male tamed by the love of a good woman” existed prior to Feehan, I think she popularized it (along with Stephanie Laurens) and to some degree this trope permeates the mate filled paranormal romance series.

Of course, the myths in Ward and Adrian’s themes can be traced to other books but I see echoes of the Feehan series in many paranormal romance books published since 1999.

Who do you see as the “mother” of paranormal romance? Any one in the poll? Someone who is excluded? None of the above? A mixture (that’s too easy!).

1. Tiffany Clare
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 04:08:10

I started with LKH’s books in the late nineties and then gravitated over to paranormal romance some years later… including Feehan.

I guess you can look at it two ways. Where LKH is purely fiction (not a standard romance at all) Feehan is romantic fiction. I think LKH might have started the para vamp/were craze, and Feehan more or less honed it for the romance genre. IMO!

And there are a lot of her Carpathian elements in other para-romances.

2. Tweets that mention The Mother of Modern Paranormal Romance? | Dear Author -- Topsy.com
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 04:34:57

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Paranormal Romance and NightsEmbrace, dearauthor. dearauthor said: New post: The Mother of Modern Paranormal Romance? http://bit.ly/bjhipL […]

3. Leslee
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 04:49:12

Oh, I must disagree with Tiffany. Tanya Huff started the urban/para/vamp/were trend with her Blood series which predates LKH by several years. I don’t discount what LKH has done for the genre but Ms. Huff’s work has stuck with me as it was one of the first that I found besides Ms. Yarbro’s that had those elements of the paranormal and romance. Ms. Feehan should be credited with the blueprint of the paranormal romance as we know it today. I really should go back and reread Ms. Huff’s series as it was sooooo great!

4. Tiffany Clare
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 04:56:35

Leslee, I forgot about the Huff blood series. Harder to remember since it’s not a never ending series :D. And it only started a couple years before the LKH books–1991.

5. ShellBell
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 05:13:45

Christine Feehan was the author that introduced me to paranormal/vampire romantic fiction, so she’s my ‘mother of modern paranormal romance’. It is because of Christine Feehan that I have also gone on to read JR Ward, Lara Adrian, Lauren Dane, Felicity (FE) Heaton, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kathryn Smith, Nalini Singh and several others.

6. Terri
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 05:43:34

Hmm. These are not exactly claws, fangs and paws, but the first paras I think I started reading — maybe — were Jayne Ann Krentz/Castle’s Zinnia/Amaryllis/Orchi/Harmony series that sort of segued into the GhostHunter series. The heroes with their off-the-charts talents (and the heroines with theirs!) had me hooked. Totally.

7. Maili
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 05:47:02

a) I’nm not sure if I’m comfortable with the ‘modern paranormal romance’ idea as this is about modern vampire romance, isn’t it? There’s more to paranormal than just vampires.

b) Tanya Huff, Yarbo, and LKH’s books are related to Urban Fantasy. I don’t see their books as typical romances, even though I adored Huff’s series and I think I liked Karen E. Taylor’s series as well. And maybe Wendy Haley?

c) Other notable/popular vampire authors of their time (I admit I wasn’t keen on any):

Lori Herter (1980s/ early 1990s)
    Amanda Ashley (circa 1994)
    Linda Lael Miller (early 1990s)
    Shannon Drake (???)
    Nancy Gideon (???)
    Susan Sizemore (late 1990s)

—-
    If my memories are correct, Maggie Shayne’s Twilight series was unusual for two reasons: a) it was different from early vampire romances, and b) it revolves around a clan of vampires (born and converted), who are psychically linked to each other, with a set of rules, particulars and such. Partners can’t bear to be far apart for too long. They have supernatural powers, too, I think? I think they also have rituals for their shagging time? I can’t remember. Heroes tend to be a bunch of control freaks.

Yeah, IMO, Maggie Shayne is the mother of modern vampire romance.

I also think her books are generally ignored nowadays because her Twilight series are category romances. This isn’t a surprise as many tend to give authors of mass paperbacks the credit for some innovative concepts, which actually usually originated with category romances much earlier.

Like this case of Christine Feehan / Maggie Shayne. I do think Christine Feehan is a mother as well, but in sense of early developer/adopter rather than a pioneer, maybe. Shayne created an original blueprint and Feehan took it much further, perhaps? Feehan had certainly kicked the doors wide open.

Thanks for bringing up this awesome topic!

Cheers,
    A Recovering Vampire Literature Addict

Jul 20, 2010 @ 06:12:37

@Maili Sizemore and Hauf spoke of Herter too. I don’t remember her at all. Sizemore’s Laws of the Blood series were actually my favorite works of hers because the vampires were beastly, more authentic.

Jul 20, 2010 @ 06:13:27

@Terri The early Krentz futuristics – Shield’s Lady and its companion are being re-released by Grand Central. I think the first was already re-released and the second is in Jan 2010.

10. Joanne
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 06:16:40

Maggie Shayne’s Twilight series books were my first vampire romances so she’s the mother that has cost me a small fortune.

Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt (set in ancient Rome) made me want to find other authors who wrote shape shifter stories. Those books were too dark and graphic for me but they led to many other wolf shifter novels.

I would like to re-read Dark Prince with the added pages just to see if it still works for me.

11. May
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 06:41:00

I read LKH since the beginning but do not really think it is Paranormal Romance, same with Huff’s blood series. Don’t get me wrong I love their books just do not think there is enough romance to classify as PR.

The first vampire romance I read was Maggie Shayne’s Wings in the night series so obviously she is the mother of modern PR for me. Before that vampires are always the bad guy.

However, I agree that Feehan opened the PR to the world before her book PR is just a small fish. Feehan changed that and clear the road for a lot of authors.

12. Shiloh Walker
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 07:16:00

The first vamp romance stories I can remember reading were by Maggie Shayne and Linda Lael Miller back in the 90s.

13. Ciar Cullen
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 07:16:37

I would say LKH. But I would venture to say that Ann Rice is the grandmother or great aunt of the genre. Not romance, per se, but The Vampire Lestat stands as the best vampire book, in my opinion. And it has that city thing going on. I think a lot of folks have that feel in mind when they write dark/urban.

14. Kati
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 07:21:05

Feehan was the first paranormal romance that I read, and I read her voraciously for a few years. I followed Feehan with Hamilton.

I read Rice in college, and never considered her romance, but I do love her books.

15. Jennifer Armintrout
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 07:22:22

Anne Rice. No, not romance in the sense we’re talking about, but she took the emphasis off vampires as villains and gave them souls, so to speak. Whether you love her or hate her, Anne Rice’s hand is in every PNR on the market.

16. Joan/SarahF
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 07:24:02

I’m going to have to agree with @Ciar Cullen: I don’t think you can have this discussion without talking about Rice. Her vampires and her witch series both have romantic elements to them and were part and parcel of the rise of a market for paranormal anything, IMO. Ditto LKH. I think people saw the marketability there, too. Amanda Ashley’s always been on my radar, too.

17. Joely
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 07:37:26

Feehan is “my” mother of paranormal romance. I gobbled every Dark book she wrote for years. I had read a couple of other vampire romances but until Feehan, nobody got it “right” for me. Of course now the headhopping cracks my skull open, but for years, she was my hero.

I did move to LKH sometime after 2000, probably around when the 4th or 5th book had come out. She was my crack for a long time but I haven’t read since Jason’s book came out.

In between there, I did read Rice and Ward, but Feehan is still the Queen of vampire romance for me.

18. Michele Hauf
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 07:59:54

Feehan’s para roms may have been among the first that got more ‘notice’ than her predecessors. Vamp romance, in particular, has been around since early 90s, but in dribs and drabs.

I think a lot of ‘today’s’ readers started in late 90s or early 00s, so they are not even aware of the greats that came before Feehan. Like Shayne (’93) and yes, Nancy Gideon (’94), and Amanda Ashley (first vamp rom in ’95. Karen Harbaugh did an amazing vamp regency romance in ’95 that I still think about (if you can find it, buy it).

I would venture to say that vampires might have birthed the paranormal genre. Sure, we romance authors have been writing all sorts of creatures for ages, but the vamps really grew the genre into what it is now. Yes?

ANd I’m posting a link to the Ultimate VampList that I’ve been keeping (since ’95) on all vampire books in all genres, but specifically to the romance list. (I’m not doing this as promo, just to illustrate the point.) Take a gander over the list over vampire romances over the years, and you can see it’s thin beginnings in the early 90s, and then watch it explode in early 00s. It’s really quite interesting. I do have a graph around here somewhere that illustrates how many vamp roms were pubbed each year, and if anyone is interested I’ll find a link to that.

Michele

19. Janine
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 08:01:34

I have to agree that it’s Anne Rice if it’s anybody. Yes, her vampire books are different from anything in the romance genre but she is the one who truly popularized the idea of vampires as sympathetic, rather than the villains of the story. I think Yarbro was writing sympathetic vampires earlier but Yarbro’s books were much less known. Rice’s Vampire Chronicles novels were huge bestsellers in the 1980s and early 1990s and so IMO she is the one who really fired up the popular imagination. Interview with the Vampire was even made into a movie with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, and what other vampire novel can you say that about?

20. Gina
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 08:01:58

Christine Feehan sold me on the paranormal and as such I’ve read Kenyon, Ward, Shayne, etc., so she would be my mother of paranormal.

@Becca the free offering is the first book in a five books series, the last of which is being released January 18, 2011. From what I understand of Moning’s postings on Facebook the last book is massive. Even though I stuck with it for the first 4 books, the daunting size estimate for book 5 makes me leery that its just going to be a huge info dump. http://www.karenmoning.com/novels/

21. Juliana Stone
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 08:50:56

I read Interview with a Vampire in my teens and it rocked my world. Christine Feehan’s books however changed my world. She was the first author I read in the paranormal genre and Dark Prince hooked me. I totally credit her with the fact that I’m writing what I love to read! I think that while not the first in this field, she certainly brought paranormal romance to the masses in a way not seen before.

22. Brian
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 08:55:55

Haven’t read these, but a little bird reading over my shoulder here at work mentioned another name to throw into the mix…

Susan Krinard (Werewolf romance as early as ’94ish)

23. Edie
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 09:00:16

I am with maili and Shiloh – I would call Maggie Shayne and Linda Lael Miller onto the carpet for mothering the vampire romance. (With awesome books IMO)
    And also agree that Anne Rice started the general vamp love.
    Re. Werewolves/shifters I think Rebecca Flanders and Saranne Dawson would have to be in the running for romance ‘mothers’ (Could not figure out how to word that LOL)

24. Heather
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 09:03:41

I have to agree with Maili — does paranormal romance have to mean vampires? My earliest recollections of reading paranormal romance were Constance O’Day Flannery’s time travel books (OMG! loved those) and Krentz’s futuristics. That lead me to the other time travel books that appeared in categories and the Silhouette Shadows line.

If it has to be vampires, I would agree with the Anne Rice camp. She made vampires sexy but dark. First non-Dracula vampire books I read and I was hooked. I gobbled those up for quite a while.

Shayne was definitely early reading for me, too. I can’t comment on Feehan as I’ve never been able to finish a Carpathian novel.

25. Kay Webb Harrison
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 09:12:38

So far, no one has mentioned P N Elrod’s vampire books. Bloodlist, the first of her Vampire Files with Jack Flemming, 1930s Chicago reporter turned vampire, came out in 1990. Red Death, her first book featuring Jonathan Barrett, 18th century New York/New Jersey vampire, came out in 1993. Both series have STRONG romantic elements.

I really think that Jayne Ann Krentz should be near the top, if not at the top of this list. Her Crystal Flame came out in 1986, Harlequin Temptation Dreams, Parts One and Two in 1988, Gift of Gold in 1988, Gift of Fire in 1989, and Shield’ Lady [under her Amanda Glass name] in July, 1989. These are definitely romances; the paranormal element is in the psychic powers of the characters.

Kay

26. Arwen
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 09:21:42

I’d have to say LKH simply because she is the first I ever read that did romance and paranormal. I don’t read her any more but she was the one, for me, that made it a genre.

But for time-travel (which my brain doesn’t put in the Para catagory for some reason), the first I can remember would be a series (trilogy) and I can’t think of who wrote it! Oh shoot. I need to do one of those “who wrote this” posts.

Teresa Medeiros! Breath of Magic. That’s it.

27. Meljean
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 09:27:10

I’d definitely give a lot of credit to Anne Rice and some of the other UF pioneers mentioned above, but for romance, I have to say Maggie Shayne (and in a more general sense, the Silhouette Shadows line,) followed by Linda Lael Miller.

They were the first romances that I remember being paranormal and that had more than psychic/time-travel elements (and believe me, I was looking for them) — and Shayne’s were so damn fantastic, with strong heroines and worldbuilding, they left their mark.

28. Sandy
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 09:34:24

Actually you can go back to the 1960s and 70s when the Dark Shadows tie in books by Marilyn Ross were really popular. That’s the first series I can remember that featured vampires, werewolves, witches, and ghosts.

29. azteclady
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 09:35:31

For modern vampire romance? Maggie Shayne, hands down–and what Maili said, they are over looked these days but were radical when written.

And for other sorts of paranormals, sans vampires, Nora Roberts was writing categories with paranormal elements about the same time–the Night quartet, anyone?

30. Lisa
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 09:37:25

One of the first paranormal romances I read was Linda Lael Miller’s Time Without End, Forever and the Night, and For All Eternity. Then I read Ann Rice’s Vampire Chronicles, and then I moved onto other paranormal romances.

Conception for females is rare and the women breedmates, a human gifted with unique blood and DNA properties, are cherished. The Breed vampires consisted solely of males…The Carpathian stories are almost completely stories of heroes in pursuit who have serious territorial issues

One of the reasons I like Adrian’s Breed series is the balance of emphasis is a bit more on the heroines than other series I’ve read. It also has a science fiction element (her vamps are from another planet), which is a sure way to hold my interest. Also, I *really* hope the origin of the Breedmates is explored in future books. That only a small population of humans are genetically able to procreate with an alien group makes me think the two must have crossed paths before (and that would be awesome).

31. DS
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 10:09:10

I voted for Chelsea Quinn Yarbro because 1) I loved Hotel Transylvania and 2) I’ve bought and enjoyed the other 20+ books about St Germaine as well as a lot of her other books including To the High Redoubt which is a fantasy with strong romantic elements and tantra.

She has a talent for making numerous periods of history come to life.

I would also put a word in for Alice Borchardt, Anne Rice’s sister, who wrote two stunning historical fantasies– Beguiled and Devoted with strong romantic elements and 3 werewolf books that I read back to back during the worst cold of my life and still enjoyed.

And whoever mentioned Wendy Haley, thank you. I’ve been trying to track her name down for weeks because I wanted to reread her two vampire books.

32. Jane Lovering
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 10:14:36

Any other Brits remember Louise Cooper? She wrote a couple of vampire books (where, IIRC the vampire was the hero, called Keith). In Memory of Sarah Bailey was the first one I read, back when it came out in 1977, and got me hooked good and proper on the vampire-trying-to-lead-a-normal-life trope.

33. Eva_baby
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 10:28:48

I have to vote for LKH. While she isn’t strictly paranormal romance, her influence is felt all over the genre, imo. Anita Blake (and to a lesser extent Meredith Gentry)to me is the prototype of the tough as nails loner chick who tells her story in first person voice. Anita’s world is populated by the Vamps and weres that seem de rigeur in modern paranormal. She fights, kills and grows power with each book. etc. And there is a big emphasis on romance/sex with her romantic triangle. All the tropes are there.

Also I think we need to credit Joss Whedon with Buffy as far as influences go. While not a book and can’t really be cited directly, the fascination with vampires and Buffy/Angel/Spike did capture the imagination and was a hugely popular series that probably had something to do attracting an audience to the para-romance genre.

34. Francesca Hawley
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 12:29:54

Hands down it’s Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. Quinn’s first book in the St. Germain cycle was Hotel Transylvania and was published in 1978. In it you have a plucky heroine who WANTS to be a vampire, an angsty hero who absolutely adores his heroine but fights turning her into a vampire, and you have the FIRST time a vampire as hero wasn’t an evil dude. He also didn’t feel cursed by his existence – he just felt intense loneliness. A loneliness that jumped off the page. The interesting thing in her books was the fact that HUMANS were the villains, not vampires.

I also absolutely LOVED Quinn’s ability to drop the reader into a spot in history and as a reader I felt immersed. Her historical research was (and is) impeccable. The first time I read one of her books I would have happily opened a vein for St. Germain!

Quinn is the mother of all paranormal romance. She opened a space for Christine Feehan, Laurell K. Hamilton and all the rest to follow her.

35. CourtneyLee
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 12:43:46

I haven’t read Linda Lael Miller, but after I got into PNR with Feehan, I asked the owner of the UBS I go to about what started it all and she loaded me down with Maggie Shayne’s Twilight categories and the related mass markets that came later. I adored them they were right in line with everything I loved about other PNR books I’d read (Kenyon and the first couple BDB books from Ward), so I’m leaning toward Maggie Shayne for the paranormal romance genre.

There are so many authors who influenced PNR greatly but didn’t write what we would call romance, like Anne Rice, LKH, etc. Popularizing paranormal creatures, be they vamps or shifters, as sympathetic characters and protagonists had a revolutionary effect on paranormal fiction, of which PNR is a part.

A word on Adrian’s Breedmates–I love that she compromized between “random chick” and “fated mate.” The fated mate thing gets old and can be mis-handled, but I do like the idea that a heroine has something unique about her to facilitate her relationship with her hero.

36. katieM
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 12:49:20

I think Mecerdes Lackey is the mother of modern Paranormals. She wrote the Diana Tregarde trilogy. Burning Water, the second book in the series came out in 1989. She also wrote the Serrated Edge series about good and evil elves and the humans caught between.

37. LG
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 12:52:50

I’d vote for Yarbro (and even that with some reservation – I think paranormal romance origins probably predate her). However, if I were going to say who was the mother of particular aspects of some kinds of paranormal romance, my answer might be different.

I’m never really comfortable with voting for a single, absolute origin of anything – I’m a continuum kind of girl. :)

38. Bronwynk
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 14:57:34

There are three wonderful authors that should share the title. All three had at least one paranormal published by 1995. These authors are Amanda Ashley, Maggie Shayne, and Sherrilyn Kenyon.

39. Terri
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 17:41:15

@Jane. Ooooh. Will look for those. I haven’t read the really, really early ones. But love her Harmony/GhostHunter futuristic stuff. Actually, I like most of her stuff. Under any incarnation.

40. TKF
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 18:15:07

Guess it depends on how you look at it. I’d say it was some of the Science Fiction and Fantasy authors back in the day (Marion Zimmer Bradley for example wrote a lot of what I would consider paranormal romance way before any of the authors you’re talking about).

41. Derek Tatum
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 21:45:33

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. It is a crime that she is not reaping more benefits in this day and age of vampire-frenzy.

42. Maili
    Jul 20, 2010 @ 23:38:16

This discussion confuses me now. Not surprisingly as I’m generally known for being a dumb mare so excuse me for these questions.

What are we looking for, exactly? The first author whose books gave birth a sub-genre, or the author whose books significantly shaped an existing sub-genre into what we know today?

If it’s the former, then Yarbro, Shayne and co. can’t be considered as ‘mothers’ because there were paranormal – or rather at the time, supernatural – romantic authors who already existed long before Yarbro, Shayne and co. were even gleams in their fathers’ eyes.

For example, I can’t remember her name right now, but there is a Victorian-era author who wrote a romantic/sensationalist novel about a doomed fallen angel and a young woman who was engaged to marry someone else. She wasn’t the first to pen this sort, though. (I only found out about her novel by watching a silent film (circa 1921), based on her novel.) And there is quite a few titles in the Gothic Romance genre from 1950s and 1960s that features supernatural heroes.

So, what are we exactly focusing on? The first who penned a paranormal novel with romantic elements, or the biggest influence on an existing sub-genre of the Romance genre?

As much as I once loved Yarbro, I wouldn’t consider her the biggest influence on the modern paranormal romance sub-genre.

Not in a way Anne Rice had, but to be honest, I think it’s the film that influenced the genre, a lot more than her novels. I remember feeling a tad pissed off when heroes in vampire romances were becoming a lot like Louis (Brad Pitt) from the film version of An Interview With Vampire. You know, the Woe is I! sort.

(To be honest, I think the real influences come from film and television. An Interview With Vampire, Buffy (certainly has an influence on UF), Poltergeist Legacy, the House of Hammer films, and so on.)

Going back to the key question: What is the definition of Modern Paranormal Romance? When is the start of ‘Modern’? What’s the definition of ‘Paranormal’? And ‘Romance’?

43. Amanda Ashley
    Jul 21, 2010 @ 01:00:59

For me, Anne Rice is the Queen Mother….but I also loved Nancy Gideon, Lori Herter, Tanya Huff, and LKH’s first 5 books.

44. Amanda Ashley
    Jul 21, 2010 @ 01:03:03

@Bronwynk: Thank you :)

45. cate
    Jul 21, 2010 @ 03:03:43

@Jane Lovering:
    I certainly do remember Louise Cooper, & also Tanith Lee !
    For my money, it’s a dead heat between
    Shayne & Feehan for vamps, because publication dates were quite similar in the UK.
    Anne Stuart also deserves a mention, she was publishing some deliciously creepy paranormal books for Harlequin at one stage.
    And to really throw a spanner in the works,looking at the genre as paranormal, not just vamps et al. What about Barbara Micheals, as progenitor ?
    Books like Ammie Come Home, Here I Stay,
    House of Many Shadows, all of a gloriously
    Gothic bent,very classily written, & with moments of utter fear, all predate the
    choices presented to us; & I too, think that Jayne Anne Krentz should be included in that list

46. katieM
    Jul 21, 2010 @ 14:25:02

What about Mary Shelley?

47. cate
    Jul 21, 2010 @ 14:33:13

@katieM:
    Great Grandmother ?

Jul 21, 2010 @ 15:05:18

@katieM Frankenstein?

49. KristieJ
    Jul 21, 2010 @ 22:32:28

Since Linda Lael Miller isn’t on the poll, I had to vote for Maggie Shayne when it comes to paranormal ROMANCE. I dunno – I haven’t read LKH, but with a heroine who still hasn’t found Mr. Right, could she be considered ROMANCE?? Same with Tanya Huff. I certainly don’t consider Anne Rice a writer of paranormal ROMANCE. But the two I mentioned were both out before Christine Feehan I believe

50. Jusy
    Jul 25, 2010 @ 13:38:34

I started my paranormal romance with Maggie Shayne and Amanda Ashely. @Maili has a great point on what really made everyone hanker for more paranormal romance was the enterntainment industy — Interview with a Vampire, Buffy-The Vampire Slayer, Dracula. I started reading more Anne Rice, Christine Feehan, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Laurell K Hamilton and all the other authors that follow. There are so many of them now. I still have to try Chelsea Quinn Yarbo as I’ve been running into her name the last 4 years.

51. Joan
    Jul 28, 2010 @ 22:09:05

! Chelsea Quinn Yarbro !

Her first St Germain novel, Hotel Transylvania, was published in the mid-1970s. I bought a copy at a bookstore near a job I started in 1978.

For a long time there were only 5 novels and a few short stories.

Hotel Transylvania
    Blood Games
    Path of the Eclipse

One I can’t remember the name of

and
    Tempting Fate

Then she resumed publishing the St Germain series in the 1990s.

Jul 28, 2010 @ 22:11:56

@Joan These books are being republished in digital format so I am definitely buying them as they are being released. Woot!

53. joan
    Jul 28, 2010 @ 22:12:45

@Francesca Hawley:

Hear, hear !

54. Saint-Germain and the Lives of Women by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro | Dear Author
    Nov 09, 2010 @ 04:01:46

[…] Quinn Yarbro is referred to by some as the mother of paranormal romance. She began writing the Saint Germain stories four decades ago with the first Saint-Germain book […]

55. Mural
    Dec 20, 2010 @ 12:33:36

Lestat is the ultimate vampire, he’s the reason why I adore vampires. LOL. Anyway, Lestat is a character written by Anne Rice and he appears in books such as Interview with a Vampire, The Vampire, Lestat and Queen of the Damned. Edward Cullen is a vampire created by Stephenie Meyer who is a “vegetarian” and is in love with a human. lol I love it.

56. Monday Midday Links: Waterstone’s Vampire Timeline - Dear Author
    Oct 31, 2011 @ 10:04:11

[…] had a discussion here at Dear Author about the mother of modern paranormal romances. ¬†Christine Feehan received the most […]

57. Crystal
    Nov 26, 2011 @ 14:17:50

I’m looking for paranormal romance books that feature single mothers as the heroine. Any suggestions?

58. Mande'
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 00:50:00

I started my paranormal romance trend in junior high, with L.J.Smith’s The Vampire Diaries (now a popular CW show). I know, I just dated myself. LOL. Then I moved on to Rosemary Laurey. Now I’m diehard J.R. Ward. I even own the entire Black Dagger Brotherhood series in first edition hardbacks. I love the world inside a world she created with the series. So, if some of her stuff was gleaned from The Carpathians, I will certainly have to give these a read. Excited.