see more crazy cat pics
I’ve been fatigued by the scandals and the bad behavior and the general discontent that’s going on these days. It seems like you can’t turn around without tripping over someone inserting their foot into their mouth and then some. The problem with that is there are actually some wonderful things going on this year in romance and the online romance community. I thought of a few, in no particular order:
- Authortalk interviews. These are some of the best promotional videos I have seen since the start of the book trailer. The book birthing scene in the Kresley Cole interview was hilarious as was the scene in the Rachel Vincent one where Gina Showalter disgustingly draws on cat whiskers in eyeliner pencil on Vincent’s face. I even noticed that I started saying Savor Me SLOOOOWWLLLLYY whenever I see the title of Gina’s latest book.
- The serial novel as started on author Dionne Galace’s blog, made popular by Bettie Sharpe’s retelling of Cinderella in Ember and satirized in Tumperkin’s fabulous The Unfeasibly Tall Greek Billionaires’ Blackmailed Martyr-Complex Secretary Mistress Bride.
- Cover snark by Smart Bitches and Dionne Galace, helping us take the genre less seriously.
- Blogger crusades to promote things like Lisa Kleypas’ book, Dreaming of You, and then Lisa Kleypas making memories with said blogger crusader, Kristie J (one of my all time favorite RWA moments).
- Having a legitimate reason to talk about sex toys.
- Getting to post about dildoes just for the fun of posting about dildoes (in other words, getting to post about dildoes for no legitimate reason).
- Brenda Novak’s Diabetes Auction. It starts May 1st and runs until May 31st.
- All About Romance’s Aid fundraisers.
- Seeing books of authors that you love make the bestseller list like Patricia Briggs‘ No. 1 placement or new author, Ilona Andrews, with her No. 32 placement.
- Seeing great new authors in your favorite genre (historical for me): Sherry Thomas and Joanna Bourne.
- Having a place to talk about my favorite hobby with really, really smart women.
- Finding a new love in an unlikely place: Lara Adrian (had a tepid reaction to Kiss of Midnight but fell in love with her writing with Midnight Awakening); Maya Banks (hated For Her Pleasure but went on a buying spree after Into the Mist and Sweet Surrender).
- Making new friends with whom I spend way too many late Wednesday nights talking about romance books and the romance industry after Top Chef and Project Runway. (What will be our starting show after Top Chef is over. And OMG what are we to do with the Lifetime coopting Project Runway. Who will be the advertisers now? Pampers? Make the best couture gown you can out of the wadded cotton?).
- The awesomesauce that is SB Sarah who was the greatest partner possible in the DA BWAHA tournament.
- Ebooks. Yep, I went there. I love ebooks and I always will, both from small print epublishers like Samhain to the big publishers like Harlequin who is really technologically forward.
- Making dirty movies with Legos. (Thanks for being a good sport, Claudia Dain).
- Resources like Historical Romance, and the Romance Wiki and Teach Me Tonight.
- All the authors, publishers, publicists, editors, agents, reviewers, industry folks, bloggers, and most importantly, readers, who have come together for community.
Are there others? You bet, but this is what I thought of. How about you?