My First Sale by Stephanie Bond

s-bond-head-shot-600-dpiWelcome to the My First Sale series. Each Monday, Dear Author posts the first sale letter of bestselling authors, debut authors, and authors in between. Stephanie Bond  currently writes “sexy mysteries” for Mira Books and romantic comedies for Harlequin.

***

Timestamp: mid-November 1995. I have the most pitiful “The Call” story.   I was traveling for my corporate job, and that particular trip was less than glamorous.   The company I worked for had just bought a small asphalt company in rural Florida and I was sent there to begin the process of getting all their paperwork computerized.   I was viewed as the enemy and was alone in this dinky little town in a deplorable hotel room.   I went back to my room around midnight one evening, ready to resign, and called back to Atlanta for voice messages.   My agent had left me a message on my home phone that Harlequin was buying my book  Irresistible?  for their upcoming Love & Laughter line!

But I had no one with me to share the news!   No one I worked with knew I was writing.   It was too late to call my critique partners, my agent, or anyone in my family.   My husband was on his own business trip on the West Coast, so I had to leave him a voice mail.   I found a can of ginger ail in the motel vending machine and cracked it open to celebrate by myself, sitting in my shabby hotel room. My husband finally called me back about 2:00 a.m. my time and I was still awake, bouncing off the walls!   I was stuck in that place for several more days; I don’t know if I would have made it if I hadn’t had the news of my first sale to keep me going!

body-movers-4-thumbnailbody-movers-5-thumbnailbody-movers-6-thumbnail

_________________

Stephanie Bond has written over 40 romance and romantic suspense novels. She currently writes the humorous mystery series,  Body Movers, in which an Atlanta woman works for Neiman Marcus by day, and helps her brother move bodies from crime scenes by night! Look for books 4, 5, and 6 to be released back to back in April, May, and June.

1. Keri Stevens
    May 18, 2009 @ 04:47:35

Stephanie,
    Thanks for the cautionary tale! Now I will try to remember to keep a bottle of champagne in my minivan and get one of those mobile phones you can use twitter on. Or maybe it would be best if I just stop leaving the house altogether.

Actually, that last option sounds kinda delightful . . .

2. Patty L.
    May 18, 2009 @ 08:25:18

It’s amazing how things work out. Your first sale came at a time when you needed the joy to carry you through your job. Your books are great, my bff loves them above all others.

3. Colleen Gleason
    May 18, 2009 @ 11:00:33

Hey Stephanie!

My “call” story is similar to yours in that I was also alone in a hotel room on a business trip when I got the call from my agent that we’d sold! Though there’s a little more to my story (including a life lesson about hangovers)–but I feel your pain not having anyone to celebrate with!

I also remember IRRESISTIBLE, and will never forget the scene where the hero has to go shopping for feminine products. One of the best scenes ever!

I love your Body Movers series, and I’m still rooting for Coop! He’s my fave.

4. Gennita Low
    May 18, 2009 @ 12:41:03

Hi Stephanie!

At least you didn’t embarrass yourself by dancing on the roof in front of your workers, ahem ;-). See you soon!

5. anon
    May 18, 2009 @ 13:03:38

You don’t look old enough to have 40 books out there! I hate you, lol!

6. JulieLeto
    May 18, 2009 @ 13:31:26

I’m almost done with 4 Bodies and a Funeral! I’m loving it…and boy, are you changing the dynamics around. I’m still rooting for Coop, though, just like Colleen. Not that it’s an easy call. Awesome series!

7. Janine
    May 18, 2009 @ 13:53:18

LOL about the ginger ale! I bet you were thrilled anyway, though.

8. My First Sale by Stephanie Bond Dear Author Romance Novel | Shed Kits
    May 26, 2009 @ 22:10:59

[...] My First Sale by Stephanie Bond Dear Author Romance Novel Posted by root 23 hours ago (http://dearauthor.com) The company i worked for had just bought a small asphalt company in at least you didn 39 t embarrass yourself by dancing on the roof in front of your workers ahem 6 by julieleto may 18th 2009 at 1 31 pm reply to this comment powered by wordpress wordpress Discuss  |  Bury |  News | my first sale by stephanie bond dear author romance novel [...]