My First Sale by Rob Thurman

downloadWelcome to the My First Sale series. Each Friday, Dear Author posts the first sale letter of bestselling authors, debut authors, and authors in between. Rob Thurman writes urban fantasy for ACE.   Her current release, featuring the Leandros brothers, is in stores now. Deathwish made it to #26 on the NYT Bestseller list.   In the fall, Thurman will release a new series with a female protagonist.   Stay tuned.

***

When I received the call about my first sale I was just pulling into the parking lot of the theater to see Shrek 2, which was a dicey situation. A huge burst of pleasure like selling your first book combined with that movie, it could have led to an obsession with talking cats in thigh high leather boots. Fortunately, that didn’t happen-and dreams don’t count.

But before that, I first wrote a mystery, not so much because I was a big fan of mysteries overall, but of a particular subset of mysteries: the buddy/buddy genre. It didn’t sell. And in retrospect as it was my very first attempt at a full-length bit of writing, it probably sucked quite egregiously, and I’m better off. So, with my second attempt, I went back to what I was currently reading at the time-’urban fantasy. In my life I’d read nearly anything I could get my hands on. Mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, horror. And it was with urban fantasy that I found I could do all those things in one. I could have fantasy, mystery, humor, romance all combined in one giant casserole (microwave since I don’t cook) and served up on a non-silver platter in deference to the vampires and werewolves. And that’s when I wrote the book I always wanted to read. I didn’t want to write a book where the reader had to wait for the good parts. I wanted it to be all good parts. No slow moments, humor to lighten the drama, enough angst to choke a horse, a happy ending, and a rollercoaster ride from beginning to end.

045146262901lzzzzzzzIn theory, fantastic-in reality, I was in for the long haul. Nightlife was rejected by every agent in the country and then by every publisher. I once thought I wouldn’t be able to handle the business because of the rejection. Someone taking my work and ripping it to shreds, who could survive that? After two years, I would have loved for someone to tell me in all the ways the manuscript was wrong, wrong, wrong, against nature and man, and should be destroyed before its very existence sent the earth spinning out of orbit and into the sun. All I ever received was form letter after form letter. I could wallpaper my basement in all the form letters that came my way. But I did also receive two letters, one from a small publishing company that only published five books a year and one from a large publishing house’s children’s department (where somehow my manuscript was misdirected.) Both loved Nightlife and said that, although they weren’t capable of taking it or that obviously it was not a children’s book, to please not give up. Two years after I started with the help of friends and family (their typing fingers still haven’t recovered), an assistant editor became an editor, remembered Nightlife, and this time was in the position to do something about it.

When she called me in that parking lot, the first thing she asked was I the type of author who refused to change a single word of their work (two years ago I would’ve said yes) or would I be willing to make a revision or two. What I said, so very casually, was I’d be willing to work with her on the issue, certainly. What I thought was, "If you publish my book, you can have a seven foot tall drag queen with better cleavage than mine, kick ass stiletto heels, and absolutely fabulous hair paddle me with a tennis racket right here and now. Do you want me over the hood of the car or over the trunk?’

Now four books later the checkerboard pattern on my gluteus maximus is barely discernable and my phobia of all things tennis related improves daily. But more importantly I was able to write the book that I’d always wanted to read and discovered your book can be different from most and still find a home-thanks to one editor willing to take a chance.

I’d kiss her feet if only she didn’t walk so fast.

1. Sonya
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 05:32:09

Too funny! Great story, Rob. And your dog? Is beautiful. :-)

I’m all for anything with enough angst to choke a horse. Must read this series!

2. KMont
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 07:42:07

Well this will teach me to look at a name and assume. Yep, thought you were a guy. Sorry, bet you never heard that one before! I’ve got Deathwish in the To Be Bought list for a short while now. Hopefully I’ll make a dent in my TBR pile soon and lift my book-buying embargo.

Great first sale story, thanks for sharing!

3. Kasey Mackenzie
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 08:10:06

Awesome, funny story, Rob! I really liked Nightlife and am very glad that assistant editor got the promotion and you got the deal! =)

4. Catherine
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 09:10:27

I feel a little dumb. I thought this author was a guy. She’s been recommended to me multiple times so I recognize the name. I had a double take moment when I saw her picture with the first sale story. I guess that’s what I get for assuming.

5. Lynn N
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 09:24:00

This is one of my favorite series! I love the characters and I can’t think of any slow spots in any of the books. You’ve become a “must read” for me :)

6. Jill Sorenson
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 09:50:00

Enough angst to choke a horse? Sounds like my kind of book! Love the cover and the sale story. Congrats.

7. Jory Strong
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 09:59:32

I’m reading Deathwish now and really, really looking forward to the new series with bar owner, Trixa Iktomi.

8. Jen
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 10:12:25

I received the first book in the series as a birthday gift a year ago, from a friend who knew how much I loved good urban fantasy books. I still haven’t found a good enough gift to thank him for turning me onto this series – there’s not one thing I don’t like about these books!

9. Dana Jeanne
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 10:28:09

Someone recced the books to me last year before Madhouse came out. They sounded like my kind of thing, so I grabbed Nightlife. Inhaled it. Ran out and bought Moonshine. Inhaled it twice and proceeded to bite my nails for the two month wait I had till Madhouse came out.

The YEAR long torture of slowly passing days until Deathwish came out was, well, on a par with the angst in the books! It was well worth the wait, however, and now I’m back to the nail-biting wait for book five.

This is an awesome series and each book is a rollercoaster ride on its own. Together it’s a wild and crazy theme park.

If you haven’t read them– do it now!!!

10. Erin
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 10:40:26

I picked up Nightlife on a New Books display, and have been hooked ever since. This series is awesome not only due to the roller coaster ride everyone’s mentioned, but mainly because Cal, Niko, and Robin head up a cast of witty original characters.

If you haven’t read these books, you’re missing out!

11. Lia
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 10:44:48

Im so glad so glad you didn’t give up. This series is my all time favorite. I recommend it to everyone I know (even if they don’t ask…)

12. Jessica Kennedy
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 10:50:43

Deathwish looks cool!

13. Mara
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 11:01:51

As one of the lucky ones who got to read the detective-and-his-sidekick mystery, I have to protest Robyn’s description of it as sucking. I thought it was fun and sweet and full of the wonderful bonding between friends that Robyn does so awesomely well. I’m still sad it didn’t become a whole new series on the mystery shelves.

But I am so glad Cal and Niko’s story has become a hit on the fantasy shelves. The Nightlife series really does have it all–romance, mystery, horror, humor, heartache, and undying (and undead) friendship. Robyn turns NYC into a spookier place than any other urban fantasy writer I’ve read. The occasional vampire is just the least of it. She whips up some of eeriest, creepiest mythological villains of all time. I loved the books. Can’t wait for Trick of the Light to come out–in the Fall, isn’t it? Her new heroine, Trixa, absolutely rocks.

14. Tori
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 11:02:47

I was told about this series by a friend of mine who knows I’m into Urban Fantasy. I thought, hey, I’ll give it a shot.

Am I glad I did. This series is, by far, my favorite series out of everything I’ve ever read. And I’ve read alot, I was brought up on books. My mother, a book-a-holic, also adores the series and reccomends it to every one of her customers at the Barnes and Noble she works at. I shove it at people right and left and tell them they’re crazy not to read it.

This book has just the right mix of everything in it and it pulls you on and refuses to let go. There’s never a dull moment, never a time you want to skim until the next interesting that happens. This is simply because the entire story is amazingly eye-catching and leaves you wanting more when you’re done. The characters are unique, complex, and you care deeply about them, unlike some other books where you could really care less if anything happened to them. Rob makes you fall in love with them and get feel as if you yourself are wrapped up in their troubles and triumphs.

Really Rob, you deserve every bit of praise you recieve for this fantastic series. I applaude you for being brave enough to create such a different and grin-worthy series. And I thank you for creating Cal and the others because they can make me smile no matter what’s going on with me. They also are a good remind that things could be much worse if I were a half-Auphe with a food Nazi for an older brother. ;]

Sincerely,
    Tori

15. Elizabeth Fayth Guarino
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 11:07:30

I haven’t read Deathwish yet, I will admit. My best friend has this habit of shoving books at me every time I’m home from college. I was given Nightlife and Moonshine in one go and ignored my homework for three days straight just to get through them. Then my friend tells me she has a new book coming out called Madhouse. I was so excited but about 48 hours after the release date my friend gets in contact with me saying “don’t read it!!” I was taken back. It seems that the huge cliff hanger at the end caused her to curse for a long time. She still loved the book but spared me the over a year wait and letting me live in ignorance until it was close to the release date. So here I am now catching up on Madhouse with Deathwish close to my bed while my friend tries not to spoil anything as she laps up Deathwish. That whole spoiling thing hasn’t really been working…

16. Jia
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 11:27:23

What a beautiful husky. Thanks for sharing your first sale story.

17. Maaike
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 11:40:07

That is a pretty accurate description of exactly why I adore this series so much!

Thank you for this very entertaining and enlightening look in the kitchen, so to speak. I’ve devoured all four books of the series and am already looking forward very much to the next ones, be it Leandros or Trickster.

18. Shayna
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 11:52:44

I’ve never been more grateful that my friend shoved the first book in my hands and ordered me to read it. I love this series, not only is it fun and exciting it’s heartening to see a new series that has this much depth and richness.

19. Shanna
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 11:57:26

Well, I for one am very glad you didn’t give up Rob. I’ve read all of the books in this series and loved them. I would like to know though, is this the last book about Cal and Niko or will there be more?

20. Renee
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 11:59:30

Thanks for sharing your story!

The relationship between Cal and Niko has been so wonderfully developed over the course of the 4 books. The brother’s are such a tight unit in the face of all the chaos around them. I love seeing that.

I also really enjoyed the new insights into Niko’s character I gained from Deathwish, and, Robin Goodfellow totally made me laugh.

I’ve loved the Cal Leandros series, and am really looking forward to the Trickster series!

21. Natalie
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 12:01:34

Great sale story Rob, and I for one am so very very happy that you finally got Nightlife published and the subsequent follow ups because they are without a doubt some of my favourite books of all time – right up there with Wuthering Heights and Little Woman. The stories certainly have it all, the buddy/buddy, the fantasy, the humour and the angst (not to just choke a horse but many humans many times over). They’re hard to put down once you start reading and then once you’ve finished you want to go start all over again.
    I’ve recommended these books to many friends and those friends are now fans too.
    And I can’t wait for the new series, which I know will be as equally well written and entertaining.

22. Mary Jo Johnson
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 12:13:21

Wonderful story, Rob. Thanks so much for sharing.

I stumbled across Nightlife one day as I was browsing my local bookseller’s shelves. The cover called to me. So I picked it up and read the back cover. The book started singing to me. I think I was hooked from word one and have picked up each subsequent installment.

I love the Leandros brothers, the vast differences between them. There are many. And, yet, there are so many similarities that one can’t help but know that they’re in it forever. Together. That one would go to the ends of the earth and into hell (and have more than once) for the other.

It is so easy to fall into your world and become part of it. To want to be part of it. I am so in love with your vision. I am so anxious for more. I’m doing my best to get other people lost in your world, too. Slowly but surely, we’ll bring them around.

Keep writing them and I’ll keep reading them!

23. Debbie Hoover
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 12:41:11

I found the first book in our local store and bought it because I really like the cover art and I was bored and looking for something to read. Read it in one sitting. Then found I had to wait for the second one to come out. I really like the series. Debbie

24. Casey Heimer
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 14:19:21

My friend got me hooked on “Nightlife” and let me tell you, it was love at first sight. I doubt I can say anything that no one else has repeated about this series, but it’s definitely high on my list of favorites. The characters just make you fall in love with them. You feel their hurt, their joy, their disgust, and their excitement. OK, maybe I get a little enthusiastic about what I read, but they’re just too much fun to *not* like.

25. Erin
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 14:21:43

Rob Thurman is one of my favorite authors and she deserves all manners of loves and praises. I can’t wait for the new series to come out.

26. Emily
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 14:23:02

I’m so glad that you didn’t give up and were able to have it published. I just love the banter between the characters. It’s really the relationships that make this series one of my favorites. Their bond is real and strong without being sloppy or sentimental. From the witty asides, to the razor sharp humor, to the rating of the bad guys everything about this series makes me happy. I know this is one series everyone in my group of friends stayed up past their bedtimes to finish (work, what is this thing called work.)

27. Fire
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 15:04:26

While I don’t have the brain power to do this series justice (Alas, that evil of evils, work, hath slain my higher brain functions) I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes urban fantasy, or witty banter, or realistically portrayed sibling relationships, or freaky monsters or… Well, you get the idea.

I’ve been shoving this series at anyone who doesn’t run away from the crazy, flailing, squeeing woman fast enough and not one of them has complained. (Unless you count them chasing ME for the next book in the series)

I have NO idea why anyone wouldn’t immediately love Cal and Niko and Robin (Come on, who DOESN’T love Robin?!) and Promise, so this story makes me wonder about the collective tastes of everyone in the publishing industry, but I’m relieved to know there is at least one person out there with the good sense to call back and put Nightlife on the shelves!

28. Nicki
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 15:09:40

I don’t think I’ve ever loved a book quite like this series, so much so I’ve been told I look like a crazy person laughing outloud to herself when I read…(Jeez, what does that say about me?!) But anyway I can’t get enough of it, I’m in love with Cal no matter how much he pisses me off sometimes, I know I’ll never be as perfect as Niko, and Goodfellow is just…well, Goodfellow. But the best part is that I actually feel for these characters, I care about them.

It’s hard to come up with words for fancy words when your brain is screaming “Well, it’s just too damn awesome! EPIC…it’s sweet.”

Oh and nice sale story~ I almost make it seem like a side-note, but I mean it! Made me laugh, haha.

29. Becky V
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 15:56:42

I aodre this series. Keep them coming, please!

30. Pooka
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 16:23:26

These books are fantastic. And Rob’s story about her “big day” is just great. It’s always wonderful to hear from authors about the good and the bad parts of their work. Hearing that the person you put on a pedestal(so to speak) is truly human is always wonderful.

31. Sarah
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 16:32:44

Great to hear the story behind how this series got started. And I’m glad it did get published, because I love it so much!

I was given the first book by a friend who wouldn’t stop talking about it, and then read it myself and realized why. I’ve been shamelessly pushing it on everyone I know since then.

These characters are so engaging- you did a fabulous job constructing the Nightlife world. I love the twists you put in on the fantasy elements and also how believable their real life troubles are. Please keep writing Cal and Niko! :)

32. Karen W.
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 17:24:19

Hi, Rob,

I’m also glad an editor took a chance on you because I’m a big “fangirl” of your Leandros Brothers series. I’ve been recommending the books since I first discovered NIGHTLIFE, and I just recently picked up DEATHWISH and am anxious to dive in. Keep the great books coming!

33. Mikou
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 17:37:44

I love this series so much, that I hate when each one comes to an end because of the wait until the next one. I also feel deeply indebted to your editor for remembering your work and helping bring you to the masses!

34. Kathleen
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 17:52:36

I found Madhouse in a display at my local B&N, realized it wasn’t the first one in the series so went looking for Nightlife, found it and haven’t looked back since. ;) And this post proves part of why I am forever in love with those messed up Leandros boys (and the frickin’ Puck for that matter) – Rob’s sense of humor is just too messed up not to love. ;)

35. Danielle Hall (wish it was Leandros XD)
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 18:43:27

Damn, gotta love those boys. Deathwish was the best book known to human kind since Nightlife. Almost topped the first, which is quite amazing. A friend’s mom bought her the first book–obviously not taking the time to check out the content–and she didn’t have time to read it. So I kidnapped it from her room and have kept it ever since. Of course, I bought her another copy because I just couldn’t let go of my copy, with all the marks and margin notes.

I love the characters. I love the plot. I love humor. I love The love the Holy Trinity of Hotness. This has got to be the best series I’ve ever read. The only negative part is when my friends get pissed at me for quoting the brothers in everything I say.

{Caliban Leandros. More addictive than crack.}

36. Laura
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 19:05:14

The cover of Nightlife is what caused me to first pick it up and I have never regretted that. To find a new author who combines humor, angst, perversion, sadness, honor and brotherly love (to name just a few) and then to toss in so many twists and turns it’ll make a gynmast nauseous…well that’s not something you find every day. And to do that with 4 books? Sheer madness, but that’s what I love about the series. I adore the boys! Thank you Rob for sharing them with us!

37. Stardarkisis
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 19:44:26

Oddly enough, I picked up Nightlife because I loved the art by Chris McGrath, thought to be fair, I’m always up for any type of urban fantasy, so I didn’t think it would be to hard to read. I am forever thankful that I picked it up three novels deep because I ended up reading the first three books in a single week. The humor mixed with vicious action was delicious. The wait for Deathwish felt like an eternaty, thankfully it was only three months. Now I’m dreading the wait for my next fix of Cal, Niko, Robin and Promise. If I find myself in a stupor, I hope someone will have enough wit to put the new Trixa series in my hand when it’s released.

Rob, seriously, thank you for holding out hope to be published. I am deeply appreciative of your craft. Keep it up and I’ll try to help your next book place higher on the best seller list. Finis.

38. Aly
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 20:54:41

I first picked up Nightlife because I was looking for something new, the cover art was great, and it was conveniently located right next to Tolkien (I had needed a new copy of the Silmarillion at the time, as my dog thinks books are chew toys). I read it, loved it, and sprang for Moonshine two days later. Read it, loved it, and spent the next week hunting down Madhouse because none of the bookstores in my area carried it. After I finally got it, I read it in two days, then read all three books again from the beginning.

And then I had to wait several months for Deathwish to come out, and it was agonizing.

Thank you, Rob, for sticking with it and giving us the Holy Trinity of Hotness, and other such enjoyable things, such as angst, and badassness, and all things good and fun and sarcastic.

39. KMont
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 21:18:22

This was on my mind all day. Book-buying-embargo is lifted and Nightlife has been purchased!

40. Jessica Callahan
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 21:45:48

I adore the Cal Leandros series. Every facet of them, I love. And I adore Rob Thurman for writing them, because she’s right–there isn’t anything else out there like it. Nightlife was the book I’d always been looking for, and Cal and Niko were the characters I’d been dreaming about, but never finding, until that one fateful day when I stumbled across a forum that recommended them, hightailed it over to Amazon, read as much as it would let me, then jumped in the car and bought it and Moonshine. When Deathwish came out, I was so excited that I walked all the way around the bookstore about seven times, and made a complete fool out of myself at the register because all I could think about was the treasure that was in my hands (and my sister’s hands, and surreptitiously placed on the staff recommendation rack and the front of the sci-fi section).

If you haven’t read these books, read them. You’ll love them, too. Swear.

41. Perla
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 22:17:38

I remember I pre-ordered this book on the strength of the book cover and the fact that I was so completely burnt out on the genre. I couldn’t take another Anita Blake or one of her many clones. So reading Nightlife was this amazing reboot for me. It was something like pouring a Jolt Cola directly onto my brain and totally falling in love with the sensation.
    Please, if you haven’t read these books yet, do yourself a favor and buy one (or at the very least check out the first one from your library), just get one! I can guarantee that this series delivers.

42. Krista Alasti
    Mar 20, 2009 @ 22:23:44

Best series I’ve ever read. That pretty much sums it up. It’s absolutely hilarious, first off, and I LOVE Cal and Niko…Robin’s awesome too. I was so nervous while reading Death Wish, I almost died!! I read all four books in less than a week. I can’t imagine anyone regretting checking these books out!

43. Jessica
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 00:32:46

Dude. Nightlife= win.
    I’m all in it for the HTOH.
    Deathwish… almost died. I was biting nails like crazy.

This book series is the greatest, if anyone touches my set… i’ll go postal on them.

New readers. You wont regret this one.

44. Jacynthia Mackin
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 07:35:58

I found Nightlife shortly after it was released. When I picked it up, I barely made it through the first two pages without tucking it under my arm and running for the door. I could not put it back on the shelf. After I hit chapter 3 (still in the store), I gave in and took it up to the counter to purchase… Then I had to wait FOREVER (okay, a few months) for Moonshine to be released.

I had the privelege of meeting up with Ms. Thurman and a few of her friends in a coffee shop. The other ten people who had promised to show up if she made the drive to Louisville did not show, but I definitely enjoyed the meeting!

I have sped through all four of the Leandros books! I love your style of writing, and I’ll keep reading if you keep writing! :)

45. Nick W
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 12:53:48

I loved the story, and your style of writing is awesome (so is your dog by the way). I love urban fantasy and am notorious for going through borders at least once a month and picking random books up from the fantasy section. I started reading Nightlife in the car on the way home and didn’t stop until i finished it the next morning. Since then I have eagerly awaited every book from you that came into range. Its an awesome series with just the right mix of gritty comedy and out of this world imagination. I’d write more if my friggen keyboard wasn’t dying, in short, its an amazing book series that i recommend to everyone i can find. Thanks and keep it up.

46. Stephanie S.
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:01:28

I saw Nightlife in the bookstore, liked the cover and took a chance. Best decision in years. In fact, I even bought the Japanese version of Nightlife just so I could see Cal, Niko and Robin as manga-fied characters. This series is great and I recommend it to everyone I know. Rob, I love your series and can’t wait for more in the story. Thanks and congrats on No. 26 on the NYT book list.

47. Carrie Fortune
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 18:24:44

I picked up Nightlife when it popped up as a recommended read based on other things I had read. I am thrilled I did. After reading Nightlife I immediately started looking for more by Ms. Thurman. I read her books as soon as they come out, have bought a book of short stories just because she contributed to it and have recommended her books to my friends (well actually strong-armed them into reading them – but it worked and created more fans). I love the relationship that exists between Niko and Cal and the world they live in. I can hardly wait for the new series/book Trick of the Light in September.

48. Janine
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 19:45:41

What a great reminder about the importance of perserverance. Thanks for sharing your first sale story!

49. Liviania
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 21:34:12

Excellent story! I’m glad that editor took the chance since I love the series.

50. Rebecca Rock
    Mar 22, 2009 @ 17:17:10

I absolutely love Rob’s books and I can relate to sending queries after queries and not giving up. I’ve been writing for over 25 years and trying to publish since 2005. I am currently plugging my second book, having decided to try self-publishing my first – which has been quite an experience, but I haven’t given up on having the first traditionally published. Cal and Niko are incredibly complex characters and I hope more books are to come.

51. Andrea
    Mar 22, 2009 @ 22:15:15

I have to say one of the best if not THE best urban fantasy mystery-esque series I’ve ever read. It’s changed my life, and I’ve never found another series with, as she says, no slow moments and enough angst to choke a horse. I eat that stuff up. AND there’s always a specific date to look forward to! Consistent year-long intervals is better than a year of uncertainty and then a definite year of waiting.

I am forever grateful for that fateful day when I decided to leave it up to fate and pick a random book off the shelf. Best decision I ever made.

52. Topics about Science-fiction » Archive » My First Sale by Rob Thurman
    Mar 27, 2009 @ 06:26:53

[...] Mindy Klasky added an interesting post on My First Sale by Rob ThurmanHere’s a small excerptWelcome to the My First Sale series. Each Friday, Dear Author posts the first sale letter of bestselling authors, debut authors, and authors in between. Rob Thurman writes urban fantasy for ACE.  Her current release, featuring the Leandros brothers, is in stores now. Deathwish made it to #26 on the… [...]