My First Sale by Lydia Dare

Lydia Dare Authors PhotoWelcome to the My First Sale series. Each Monday, Dear Author posts the first sale letter of bestselling authors, debut authors, and authors in between.   Lydia Dare is the writing team of Tammy Falkner and Jodie Pearson. Both Tammy and Jodie are active members of the Heart of Carolina Romance Writers and live near Raleigh, North Carolina. They are working together on their next paranormal historical trilogy as Lydia Dare, which will be released by Sourcebooks Casablanca in Spring 2011! For more information, please visit http://www.lydiadare.com/.

Sourcebooks is sponsoring a giveaway of 2 sets of Lydia Dare's trilogy: A Certain Wolfish Charm; Tall, Dark and Wolfish and The Wolf Next Door. 2 random commenters will be selected.

***

A Certain Wolfish Charm CoverMost people know by now, but for those of you who don't, there are two of us who make up the writing team better known as Lydia Dare. So our "Getting the Call" story is a little different than most people's. One of the best things about writing with a partner is there's always someone who understands where you are in your process. You're not alone on the path to publication.

Normally, when you get a rejection letter, you feel it in the pit of your stomach and suffer alone. Sure, your friends, family, and critique partners are there and lend their support (sometimes there's talk about voodoo dolls or hitmen- Well, not really. But you get the idea.) – but it's not the same. It's a solitary suffering that only you understand.  You labored over your characters, your plot, your dialogue, your "big black moment", etc – and no one feels that rejection the way you do.

Conversely, the same is true when that magical call is received. The joy, the elation, the "This is really real" feeling that encompasses you. Everyone you know is happy for you and excited that you're going to be famous. (Fame is a relative term, and after you get that call – everyone around you is certain the term applies to you, no matter your own doubts – but that's another blog topic.) And though there is a sense of euphoria, the success is solitary.

Tall Dark and Wolfish by Lydia Dare CoverBut when you write with a partner, you get to share all of those experiences. The highs as well as the lows. And there's something special about sharing that magical moment with someone who gets completely what all of this means to you, because it means the same to her.

Thorough out this process, you might disagree about a character's motivation or a plot point. You might even disagree about what color the heroine's hair should be; but when you make that first sale you're on the same page in every way.

Wolf Next Door CoverFor us, our first sale was for a Regency/Paranormal trilogy to be released back-to-back-to-back.    A Certain Wolfish Charm – April 2010;  Tall, Dark and Wolfish -May 2010, and  The Wolf Next Door – June 2010. We're in the midst of the release whirlwind right now. We've gone to conferences. We've worked on edits. We've sold another contract which includes a single release in November,  To Tame a Wild Wolf, and then three more books the following spring. We've done book signings. We've done book club meetings. We've blogged. We've talked to readers. We've met booksellers. Through it all, this journey has been nothing short of amazing and we get to share it every bit of it with each other.

You hear all sorts of stories about what authors do when they get "the call."   Now multiply that times two and you get what we did!   Squeals X 2.   Laughter X 2.   Frantic phone calls to tell people X 2. You're not alone on that wild roller coaster ride when you write with a partner.   Thank goodness.

****

1. Tweets that mention My First Sale by Lydia Dare | Dear Author -- Topsy.com
    May 17, 2010 @ 04:29:05

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by dearauthor. dearauthor said: New post: My First Sale by Lydia Dare http://bit.ly/9tSwmN […]

2. ms bookjunkie
    May 17, 2010 @ 07:10:55

Congratulations ladies! Those books look intriguing…

I just wanted to ask if the work is also X2 or is it halved? *grin*

3. Chris
    May 17, 2010 @ 07:48:12

Please, please, please I would love to read someday here at “Dear Author” a deep analysis on romance covers designing.

It’s like, come on, just look for instance at the covers of these three titles by Lydia Dare. Do you need a naked, muscled and manly torso appear in every book in order to sell it?

May 17, 2010 @ 07:52:47

@Chris We did a post on covers in 2007: In Praise of the Man Titty. If you don’t want to read it, the conclusion I came to is that man titty is a brand identifier that signals something to the reader – specifically that it is a romance with a happy ever after ending. I think it would take years of sustained marketing efforts to retrain readers to identify something else with “romance + HEA”.

I’m not a fan of the mantitty, in general, and think that there is definitely a need for covers to evince more originality to stand out. Part of the problem with having similar covers, particularly with a back to back release, is that readers may think that they have already read the book or looked at the book and passed it over.

Now that I think about it, I should do another cover post. 3 years is a long time.

5. Bonnie Ferguson
    May 17, 2010 @ 08:03:37

Major congrats, ladies! :)

6. Jennifer M (OR)
    May 17, 2010 @ 08:14:13

Congratulations! How nice that you have someone to share the highs and lows with and here’s to hoping you share many more highs together.

7. HelenK
    May 17, 2010 @ 08:48:06

How long have you been writing together?

8. ruth
    May 17, 2010 @ 09:05:23

I would love to know HOW it works to write in a team. Do you live next to eachother? Do you spend the day together? ruth

9. Shae
    May 17, 2010 @ 10:14:41

As a teacher I always have a partner to bounce ideas off of, but in the end it’s just me and my students. When the two of us get to work together on a project it is always more rewarding! Sounds like a lot of fun! Do you keep to a schedule to meet up or how do you manage your time? Also, working with someone stops me from procrastinating ;) Does it work for you too?

10. Nadia Lee
    May 17, 2010 @ 10:33:43

Congrats!

@Jane — I think Sourcebooks used very different colors for her books because the covers look alike — mantitty & a girl’s face. So if people can’t remember the titles, they can at least say, “That green one!” or “That purple one!”

11. GSM
    May 17, 2010 @ 11:22:58

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy reading about a successful writing partnership like yours. Congratulations.

12. RebeccaJ
    May 17, 2010 @ 11:23:11

I think it would be so fun having a writing partner to share the ups and downs with. Unfortunately you have to share the checks, too…LOL! Congrats on your success, ladies.
    ———–

BTW, Jane, I’d like to see an article on WHO the male cover models are. I wonder why they STILL don’t get any written acknowledgment in the books in 2010!

13. Lydia Dare
    May 17, 2010 @ 13:00:35

Hey everyone! Thanks for having “us” today. And thanks for all of the nice words. We appreciate it.

I’ll try to answer your questions. :)

With that said, I can’t really answer anything about covers, as that isn’t something in my control.

Helen ~ We have been writing together for 1 1/2 years.

Ruth ~ We don’t live near each other and we never talk on the phone. We do see each other once a month for our local chapter meetings, but otherwise we email and skype on a daily basis.

Shae ~ We don’t have a schedule per se. We usually try to only have the pages for 24 hours and we try to have 2,000 words or so; but some days are better than others. It does keep you from procrasting when you know someone is waiting on you so they can do their part. ;)

~ Lydia (Jodie)

14. Gabrielle
    May 17, 2010 @ 22:49:28

Congrats on all your success. The books sound really interesting as does your team effort at writing.

15. Kaetrin
    May 17, 2010 @ 23:15:59

I’ve read good things about this series so far.
    I’m curious as to the mechanics of the partnership though. Is one author responsible for the hero and the other the heroine? Do you start out with the outline and agree on the various plot points? Do you each pick the ones you want to write? How do you make it so that it seems like one “voice” in the book and not two? Enquiring minds want to know!!

good luck with the releases ladies!

16. tsukishine
    May 18, 2010 @ 14:02:30

I’ve written with partners before, and I’ve written solo, and I enjoy both. I have noticed that what works when writing on your own doesn’t really work when you have a partner, and the two experiences are different enough that I enjoy them for different reasons. Congrats to both of your for finding someone that you can work so well with together! I can’t imagine trying to finish three books in a year!

What I’m wondering is, how did you come up with the pen name?

17. Chelsea B.
    May 18, 2010 @ 14:55:20

I love these posts! Its so interesting to read how authors got their start!
    Love your book covers!

18. Heather Snow
    May 18, 2010 @ 20:04:24

I didn’t realize the third was coming out in June. How exciting–I don’t have to wait long for the next installment!

Congratulations on your success and keep the great books coming :)

19. Mariska
    May 18, 2010 @ 21:43:45

I just noticed that Lydia Dare is two people actually ! and Wow, Congrats on the up coming release Ladies.

I’m sooo want to read your book !