My First Sale by J.R. Ward, The BDB First Sale

I still remember, vividly, the first time I picked up a JR Ward book. It was in my mall Waldenbooks store. I was just browsing along the aisles when I saw this glossy red cover with a black dagger in the middle. The cover said that it was “A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.” The tagline sold me and the story hooked me and I waited impatiently for every installment. I don’t doubt that ten years from now, we’ll look back in the BDB series and see how it influenced the nature of paranormal romance from its covers to the contents. The latest release, Lover Enshrined, is on sale now.

***

I know this is supposed to be about your first sale, but I thought I’d talk about how I found out the Black Dagger Brotherhood series had sold. I will never forget when the call came- or what was happening at the time-

See, I’m a Yankee. A true blue Yank through and through. Born up there, raised up there, never expected to live anywhere else but New England.

Enter the Southern Gentleman Whom I Marry. Now where do you think I ended up? South of the Mason Dixon- and PS I really like it. But here’s the thing. The South is HOT or can be from May until even into October. So your air conditioning is mission critical.

When I sent off the BDB proposal and three sample chapters of DARK LOVER book reviewto my agent, I didn’t expect her to like what I’d done. The material was pretty far out there- and though I was in love with the Brothers, I wasn’t sure anyone else would feel the same attachment. (Hello? Mating ceremony with the name carving? No exactly middle of the road.) Anyway, I FedEx’d the padded envelope off and went into full, neurotic, hurry up and wait mode. Which is SO much fun.

My agent, however, adored the whole thing- so at least one rate limiting step had been surmounted. What this meant, though, was I got to go right into another stretch of high-octane sit on my hands. I wanted to write the books so badly, I went nuts from stress. Nuts, I tell you.

At that time, my husband and I lived in a very nice top floor condo. It was our landing pad after the move from up North and I liked it a lot- at least until our central air conditioning unit bit it during an ‘unseasonable hot spell.’ (BTW I’ve learned that’s a misnomer. Hot spells can happen in any season here so they are by definition never unseasonable. But I digress.)

I don’t know about you, but hot is not your friend when you are waiting and stressed and climbing the walls already. When the air-conditioning kicked it at 10 a.m., I thought, well, sh**, this is going to suck (bear in mind it was a Friday- and I figured I would have to go through a whole weekend of hearing nothing about the proposal. So I was not in my happy place to begin with- and that was before the linoleum started to melt in the kitchen.)

book reviewAs we were on the top floor, the ambient air temperature quickly climbed to Hotter Than Hell. However, there was light at the end of the tunnel- or rather cool to end the sauna effect. Thanks to the fact that I begged on the phone to a repair company. Shamelessly.

I loved the air conditioning guys who showed up- even though they told me they’d be there at noon and didn’t make it until four in the afternoon. They had just finished checking the unit outside when my mom arrived- as a contractor, she speaks HVAC and I figured a translator was warranted. The men came up the back stairs and standing in front of us like modern day warriors, they began to BLAH BLAH BLAH bad coil BLAH BLAH need new unit BLAH BLAH five thousand dollars-

“Five thousand dollars?” I yelped. (I mean that little bomb was in English and I understood it perfectly.) “Five THOUSAND dollars-”

That was when the phone rang. Caller ID said it was my agent.

I actually stared at the phone as if I couldn’t remember how to work the thing.

“You gonna answer that?” one of the air conditioning guys asked.

No, I thought, I’m going to throw up. Because it’s hot and if this is an I’m-sorry-it-didn’t-sell call, the saltines I had for lunch are going on a rapid evac.

Although things could have been worse- at least I didn’t need a plumber. Yet.

I answered and my agent went BLAH BLAH BLAH and I forgot English entirely. Because actually it wasn’t a this-isn’t-going-to-sell call. It was a hey-a-couple-people-liked-it kind of thing.

After I hung up, I proceeded to hop around the room like a crazy person, no longer caring about the oven we were all in. The thing was, I wasn’t sure who was going to publish the Brothers at that point, but I knew I was at least going to get to write them. And that was everything to me.

The air conditioning guys and my mom watched me for a while, like they were at the zoo and one of the monkeys was having a meltdown just for the audience’s benefit. Then my mom calmly handed me some cold seltzer and hit the men with BLAB BLAH rig the BLAH BLAH run a BLAH BLAH replace a BLAH BLAH?

More phone calls came in from my agent updating me on the status of the bids as the men did what my mother told them to do. Frankly, I could have been on Mars for all I knew. When the dust settled, nearly two hours later, I had a publisher and was off to the races as they say.

It was a blur and I didn’t sleep at all that night. Although not because it was hot. By some miracle, my mother’s BLAH BLAH had worked and we had cool air.

Man, it was a day of miracles, all the way around. And that’s how the sale happened- one of the best days of my life, I’ll tell you right there!

1. Jayne
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 04:31:48

I love first sale stories – or in this case an “I’ve got AC!!” story but this is one that almost had me spewing coffee over the cat sitting in my lap I was laughing so hard.

2. Moira Reid
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 05:26:41

I’m a megafan. Love love LOVE those books and stand in awe of the writer. And I think Jane is absolutely right when she says, “I don't doubt that ten years from now, we'll look back in the BDB series and see how it influenced the nature of paranormal romance from its covers to the contents.”

There are books that turn a corner for us all as readers and writers…this was the series for me.

Congratulations to JR Ward. A wonderful success well earned.

3. Gennita Low
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 07:10:01

Hey, heat and stress are always good when one hears good news ;-). At least you weren’t trying to jump off a roof like I was, JR! Great sale story!

4. Angela_Yvette
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 07:20:10

What a great first sale story!! I am SO glad I wasn’t drinking anything while reading it. I was laughing so hard. Loved the “blah blahs” LOL :)

5. Chandra
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 07:23:27

Great story JR!!! Does that mean you equate the Brothers with those unseasonable hot spells??? Cause, personally, any time spent with the Brothers would indeed feel like an inferno! :)

6. Jia
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 07:34:32

LOL!

What a great story to start off the day.

7. Jill S.
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 07:59:52

That was an AWESOME story! You are the funniest, most talented, neurotic monkey I know!! If you wrote stereo instructions, I would pre-order them and take a day off work to read them.

*smootches*

8. MelaBanks
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 08:03:22

Thank you so much for sharing! The heat was rising in more ways than one and for that I’m so grateful. Thank you for sharing their world with us. Now I gotta get back to the Night Keepers. I fell asleep reading last night and have to go back over the last chapter…

9. katiebabs
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 08:23:50

I always wondered if authors do their own little *snoopy dance* when they receive that call from their agent or the publisher.
    I assume JR, you can afford central air now ;D

10. Kath
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 08:35:28

Thanks Warden, Cool story, I live in Texas so I know about air conditioning and the fear of it breaking down.
    Q? When do you stop worrying and just relax and think: I did it, I am a success. ??
    love ya.
    kath

11. rebyj
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 08:51:08

Coming from the south I had to laugh because we all have stories of ” remember the day the ac went out? That was the same day I got….” the ac takes precedent.
    As for the BDB books, the most fun is talking about them online! They are the first romances my 17 year old daughter has ever read. She walked around saying ” TRUE” for days LOL.
    I bitch about the parts I didn’t like and I gush over the parts I did like. Always an automatic reccomendation to anyone that asks me for book suggestions.
    Congrats on your successes and insert a huge complaint here on the long wait and the hardback release ($$$) of the next book. It ain’t right!! Book crack withdrawal ya know.

12. Becky Jean
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 08:52:42

I am from upstate NY but spent some time in the South (Charleston SC, Atlanta GA, Charlotte NC, Fairfax VA) and so I can feel your pain WARDen!

Stay cool now and have a great day!

13. bean
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 08:55:46

What a nice little surprise to get a story first thing in the a.m. as I sit on the edge of my seat waiting for my AC to break down … again. (renter. grrrr.) Anyway, love this SOL! Great happy memory. Congrats on this and all of them — and for being able to write the Brothers as YOU see them. :D

14. Shanghi
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 09:09:26

What a great story, glad your mom was there. I live where it doesn’t get that hot …except in my upstairs bedroom…so my house doesn’t have AC. But to get cool and get your hard work recognised in one day….NICE!

15. azteclady
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 09:17:00

That’s funny and sweet… and I want to be your mom when I grow up :grin:

16. Darlynne
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 09:29:17

One of the best days of your life turned into a miracle for the rest of us, too. Thanks for the story and the series, JR. Long may you write.

17. RitaSV
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 09:43:25

LOL!! I just about jumped around the room myself when I got to the part where your agent called with the good news. I think those moments in life are so memorable because of the sudden and beautiful contrast of going from misery to joy. If we, your readers, had known what was coming we’d have been jumping right along with you! {{{{{{J.R.}}}}}}}

18. Liviania
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 09:44:11

That’s hilarious. (And I was absolutely imagining the times when my AC has gone out. *shudder*)

19. Lind
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 09:45:57

The first paranormal book I picked up was Dark Lover …since then I have read others but no one compares to J.R. Ward. Its weird because I feel that the brothers are close knit friends like…*I wonder what Wrath is doing today, should call and see what he is up to*hehehe…like I said its weird…anywho…keep it coming J.R. your fantastic. Oh by the way, I really do have a grip on reality… hehe

20. Jeannie (LawyerLatina)
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 09:52:03

Picturing you jumping around with excitement after receiving the good news makes me smile. You are truly deserving of all the success in the world. I love the BDB and their world. You are truly a gift for which I am very thankful for.

21. TxBecky
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 09:57:44

That’s a great story WARDen! And I have to say, I’m so glad it happened…not the air conditioner going out but the Brothers making it. I can’t imagine anyone reading about the Brothers and not loving them!

22. Keishon
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 09:57:55

Great story.

23. Robin
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 10:00:22

Now, that story was hilarious! And thank GOD you got that “I’m-interested” call, cause what would the rest of us do without the Brothers? :P

Thank you so much for sharing them with us, and we look forward to much much more!

24. Donna Kowalczyk
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 10:01:32

I’m another huge fan, and just love your first-sale story! And although it didn’t work out for next year, I sure hope to get you up to Wisconsin for the WisRWA conference one of these years. :-)

And now back to my own ms so I can finish the darn thing and FINALLY curl up with LOVER ENSHRINED!

~Donna Kowalczyk

25. J.R. Ward
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 10:06:42

Hi Ja(y)nes! ;) Thank you so much for having me and hi to all who are stopping by!

I tell you what, that day is so vivid to me and I have a feeling that it always will be. LOL

Moira Thank you so much- you are so very kind!

OMG Gennita! LOLOL Trust me, had the AC guys not been there, I prolly WOULD have been on the roof!

Angela The ‘Blah Blah’s are my personal fave too ;)

26. J.R. Ward
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 10:13:53

Chandra Those boys create heat whatever season it is, feel me?

Jia Awww glad I could make you smile! :)

Jill *smooches right back atcha*

Mela!!! Doesn’t NK ROCK???

Katiebabs I’m not one to speak on behalf of others, but I think that we all defo have our own form of the ‘snoopy dance’. LOLOL

Kath You know, in all honestly, I don’t know if there will ever be a time like that for me, because I know that it could all change. I’ve been on the other side of things and trust me, it ain’t fun. I’m a firm believer in living in the NOW and being extremely grateful for every single second of it. ;)

27. Jens
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 10:28:34

OMG, your mom speaks contractor. When we remodeled our house, I had to learn contractor, too! LOL. Thanks for sharing your story. You have shared a lot of yourself with your readers, which makes is so fun to read about the world you’ve created. It is no wonder you interested “some people”! May every endeavor greet you with a happy phone call!

28. ~Linda~
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 10:36:35

Wow JR that was an wonderful story.
    I can picture you now popping up to tell it.
    And after meeting you at RT I can hear your
    voice in my head. **Awesome**
    I just found the Brothers in April.
    So I have some catching up to do. I am on
    Butches story now <—fanning myself is it hot in here??
    I am soooo glad you got to write them, because I love love
    love reading them. The are all on my bookshelf wating to be
    finished. I am savering them… So thank so very much!

29. Kristen
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 10:40:02

J.R., Thanks for sharing your First-Sale funny story. Thank God for Moms! I’m a Yankee myself – New Jersey born and breed – and now live in the South thanks to my husband. There’s no way I could live without AC now.

Thank God you got that call. I just love the Brothers! They make their own kind of heat. I can’t wait for the next installment. Thank you for loving them enough to share them with us.

30. Janine
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 10:44:42

Great story! So funny. I loved it. I can’t wait to read it, so let me also ask, when is John Matthew and Xhex’s book coming?

31. Heather
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 11:07:57

WARDen, loved your 1st sale story. I know the cellies are very glad for that 1st sale. I don’t know where we would all be without this series. You are a fantastic writer and when your books come out whatever I am reading gets put down for the next installment.

I ran across BDB at Walmart. I started out reading Anne Rice then my brother had me read LKH. From there I was looking for something else to read (I read like there’s no tomorrow)so I was just going through the shelves at Walmart and this red cover just jumped out at me. I immediately got a copy from the library and was about 1/2 through it when i returned it by accident. I looked all over Little Rock for a copy to buy and everywhere was sold out so I had to wait while 3 other people got to read it before I got it back from the library.

I can proudly say I own all of the BDB books in Hardback (bookclub editions) and they are all signed by the wonderful WARDen (thanks to Sandpanther and Mahdi and Nashville) except Lover Enshrined.

Can’t wait till May for Rhev’s book but will be content w/the Compendium in Oct and the anthology in Dec for now.

Your ever loyal fan/Cellie
    Heather

32. Pamk
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 11:21:49

I have lived in the south all my live so I feel for ya on the ac. Great story. And yeah I want to be your mom too. lol

33. J.R. Ward
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 11:23:09

Heather Well I don’t know where I would be without all of you so we’re even, baby girl! ;)

Janine I’m thinking that JM is up next after Rehv!

Kristen The things we do for our men, huh? LOL

Linda OMG- Butch! *blushes* I swear, that man would just not STOP! LOL I have a feeling that Rehv might be the same or worse tho! *blushes again*

Jens My mom speaks contractor FLUENTLY! LOL

34. katiebabs
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 11:29:02

I must also add I am very interested in Rehv’s barb. Um, yeah. *blush*
    I can imagine it should come into a lot of play in his book.
    *Kate’s face is so very red at this moment*

35. Vicki
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 11:46:25

Love your call story. Of course I have to wonder if the Omega was part of the AC meltdown and the Scribe Virgin was the one who stepped in and said, “Oh no, not my girl. She gets air and she gets to write.”

I'm so totally hooked and can't wait for October, December, and May. OMG, they all seem so far away.

Although I know you know this, your writing is amazing and the world in which the brothers live is, well, it's real. And having that many hot brothers living inside your head is awesome.

36. Julia (*Jules*)
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 12:40:54

As always thank you for sharing your moments … especially the ones that give you SO MUCH JOY … and for giving us the Brothers, life would be so dull without them..

MUAH!!!!

37. zmom....
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 12:49:33

Great first sale story, thank you.

Love the Brothers? Goes without sayin’…. but wow, I LOVE a take-charge, cool things off, celebrate with the daughter, and blah-blah to get results Mom story! Thank you!

38. Stephanie (BKLYN)
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 13:27:00

Hi J,
    Wow, what a great story and cherished memory on your BDB first sale. Thanks for sharing. Nothing like a mom to help make things right, and share in the celebration. Anyone that speaks fluent contractor is a hero in my book (says the gal with the old house)!
    Anytime I think that I may have somehow missed reading this series of tremendously fabulous, awesome, groundbreaking, smart, and wonderful books – I get physically ill. [reaches for the entire bottle of Mylanta!]
    I do believe that there will be a lot of claims to the throne but only ONE writer-goddess of the realm of the BDB — JRWARD!!!
    Thank you so much for these books.
    Sending you a luscious bowl of coffee ice cream!
    Cheers,
    Stephanie

39. Heather
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 13:53:39

We are really hoping you will get to come to Little Rock, AR when Rhev comes out. Our book club here (Sandpanther, Mahdi, myself to name a few) are always pimping the brothers. Everytime I see Sandpanther at Books a Million he is signing your praises. We are begging here. Please try to come to Little Rock or Memphis at least. We would all make the trip. We all love this series. I can honestly say that I have not met another author who takes as much time w/their fans as you do and truly appreciates them. That says a lot for you personally.

Heather

40. J.R. Ward
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 14:46:49

Katiebabs Uhm *blush* that happens to me a lot too ;)

Vicki the Brothers are out to play tonight on my board :)

*Jules* My pleasure! MUUUAAH!

zmom Thanks baby girl!

Stephanie Now you know my weakness mmmmm ice-cream LOL

Heather That sounds like a blast and I’ll do my best to make it happen MUUUAAH!

41. Claudia
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 15:27:59

I have either DA or SB (can’t remember which) to thank to introducing me to the BRB. I was convinced I’d never read another vampire series again until a review and ensuing comments on DL made me buy it. I love that the Brothers still continue to keep their “flaws.” It was great to read a series where there heroes aren’t magically fixed at the end and a curse is a gift in the right situation.

42. Janine
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 15:48:44

I'm thinking that JM is up next after Rehv!

Ooh, that’s exciting. I am really looking forward to reading more about him.

43. Natalie
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 15:57:09

JR I hear you on the aircon, living in the tropics of australia, if we didn’t have AC we’d die. It’s not so much the heat as the humidity that kills you. The feel of being constantly sticky does get a bit much, but the benefits of living close to the Great Barrier Reef and tropical forests just outweighs the rest.
    I loved the Brothers series, can’t wait for more.

44. cyclops8
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 16:02:43

Welcome JR,
    Your story about “the call” really cracked me up.

45. Simplicity
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 16:49:32

JR,
    Thanks for sharing your hilarious story about “the call.” Thank God for mom!

My online friends and I have so loved the world you’ve created. We’ve burned through so many emails these past two weeks since Phury came out. We have an online book club and our favorite reads are vamperotica. You, Love, started it all.

Since I hate asking questions that I know you’ve probably answered on the boards, here’s one I haven’t seen…

I know that you used to ride and show hunter/jumpers. Do you get a chance to ride much these days? Still have horses? Looks like Doc Jess still does. I recently read your first book (right?), Leaping Hearts and loved it. Although I don’t ride H/J (I show Quarter Horses), I loved it. Gotta love a guy who loves horses…oooh la la.

46. roxyelsie567
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 16:51:28

Warden,

I’m sure your ecstatic happiness was very high when you found out from your agent that you go to write them, I bet I will be jumping up and down like a zoo member like you when Rehv is released. He is very dear to me :).

Did I hear that the brothers are making an appearance tonite on the boards?

I love the series so much and I’m just as thankful that you got to write them as you were. The books really are, to me, the best paranormal out there.

47. Vip
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 17:15:27

That hot Friday of your first sale (what’s the date?) should be our Annual ThanksForTheBrothers Party! Anyone wants to host the First One? I’ll be there no matter where it will be held!

Thanks, JR, for the gift of the Brothers! You’re the most amazing author!

48. J.R. Ward
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 17:52:17

Claudia I’m so glad that you’re enjoying them!

Janine I can’t wait to write his story, for real!

Natalie Thank you, baby girl! MUAH!

cyclops Thank you and so glad you liked it LOL

Simplicity Unfortunately, I don’t get to ride as much anymore but I LOVE it! And Doc Jess is the ultimate for horses! So glad you liked LEAPING HEARTS!

roxy They absolutely are! I hope you’ll come and join us!

Vip I’ll be there ;)

49. Yvonne/Shady
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 18:09:02

Great story. And I can’t wait for the next installment. Besides, waiting impatiently is good for my own zoo. :)

50. Kat
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 19:01:24

And this is why I love JRW’s storytelling. And what a great mother. Mine would probably turn around and say, “Why don’t you just get an electric fan from K-mart?” Then again, she grew up in the tropics.

51. sula
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 19:32:17

lol. What a funny story. Having spent two years as a peace corps volunteer in Africa, I can certainly empathize with the heat thing. During hot season, it was regularly 120+ and with no a/c…let’s just say that it was not the most fun i’ve ever had. Unfortunately i didn’t have BDB books to keep me company at the time. :(

The “blah blah” bits reminded me of those Charlie Brown cartoons…you know the parts where the adults talk and it is all “wah wah wahhh wah” mumbo jumbo. hehe.

Can’t wait to read the next book! I just wish my first (and still fav) brother would get more airtime. Rhage. *sigh* Be still my beating heart.

52. Brenna
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 20:01:46

Interesting first BDB book sale story.

Let me say that I enjoyed LEn though not the Phury/Cormia relationship. Was it really necessary to force Phury/Cormia to have a romance when its obvious that Phury needs more time to heal and build relationships?

I do look forward to reading Rehvenge's book though it will have to be via the library this time. I feel that Rehvenge will be playing a pivotal role here on the fight between vampires and the lessers. And that alliances will be formed since the brothers are in need of fighters. That there will be changes in the relationships between symphaths and vampires and that Rehvenge will be the central figure responsible for that change.

53. K. Z. Snow
    Jun 13, 2008 @ 20:45:36

See, now, this is one of those scenarios that writers dream up for themselves:

I’m facing a five-thousand-dollar sinkhole in addition to the sinkhole I’m already in, and if I sink any farther I’ll likely end up in some Chinese factory making Mardi Gras beads, and ferdafuckssake, things can’t really get any worse unless my DH comes homes and tells me he’s gay and I’m fat, which he could easily be and I certainly am, so I might as well sweat myself into a puddle of misery and leach quietly into the ground because, damn, that book I’ve been banking on ain’t gonna appeal to anydamnedbody . . .

Problem is, things usually are as bad as they seem. And they often get worse. :-(

Great story, JR. It’s a trip to hear about writers prevailing — a good trip!

54. Denise
    Jun 14, 2008 @ 05:13:49

WOW J.R it’s no wonder the Brothers are so HOT!!!! I can relate to the air conditioning story, too! I live down here in southern Georgia. I have loved the Brothers from the first book. Roll On!!

55. Mary M.
    Jun 15, 2008 @ 21:32:34

Muahaha! JR, you are one awesome storyteller. I love the way you recall the story of that sale :-D. And I thank God that it did sell, otherwise I’d never have gotten to read about the brothers. *shudders* Inconceivable.

56. RenaRuadh
    Jun 16, 2008 @ 10:21:09

WARDen, what a great story. I write too, but boring law stuff at University. I’ll never ever forget when my first article was accepted by a journal… Running like mad through those hallowed halls, waving email printout around, bursting into the office of the head of our institute…

I love, love, love your books and in between new releases I re-read the old ones ever so often! Need to get my fix….

57. Lynn G
    Jun 16, 2008 @ 16:06:11

As has been said by many,the accounting of your first sale is a total crack-up! I accidentally picked up DL (and I do mean accidentally, because I had become so sick to death of vamps, I didn’t think I’d ever pick up another)…and WHAM! I RAN to the nearest store, but the only one still being carried was V’s, which was just enough to hold me over until I could get all the back ones sent from Amazon!
    It has been brutal,absolutely brutal waiting for LE I don’t kknow how many more times I can re-read the ones I have while waiting for, Good lord, MAY?!
    In the mean time (I know I asked this once already,but lost the answer if one was given) are you going to be at the RWA Nationals? Septemberbeforeoiferane time

58. EC Sheedy
    Jun 16, 2008 @ 22:51:49

Just to let you know, JR, I have personally addicted 13 people (some of those “Oh, I don’t read vampires” types) and I’m still on the street corner with my coat open. Better and better, that’s how your books get.

And now that I have finished LOVER ENSHRINED, I can finally sleep.

Great sale story!
    EC

59. Denice
    Jun 21, 2008 @ 18:15:06

I resisted the blandishments of my local bookseller for months to read the BDB. I finally read Dark Lover and I can only say: WHAT WAS I THINKING? I’m loving the Brothers, ya feel me? LOL
    I am so glad you share them with us!

60. Melinda
    Dec 10, 2009 @ 18:24:32

I read Lover Avenged where Xhex is missing and John went to find her. What’s after this book?

61. Melinda
    Dec 10, 2009 @ 18:50:21

what comes after lover avenged?

62. Mary M.
    Dec 10, 2009 @ 18:55:02

The next in line in the series is John & Xhex’s book, LOVER MINE. It’s currently set to be released April 27th, 2010 according to Amazon.