Hot Books for Fall: Spotlight on Avon/William Morrow

518003.gif

517994.jpg

November is a very exciting month here at William Morrow and Avon. It brings us the publication of Everlasting, the late Kathleen Woodiwiss’ latest novel. All of us were impacted in innumerable ways by Ms. Woodiwiss’ work and it is such a thrill to be able to publish this incredible book. Also coming in November, the latest Stephanie Laurens’ Cynster novel in paperback. The Taste of Innocence features Charles Morwellan (brother of Alathea from A Secret Love) and continues the hugely successful that has become such a fan favorite. Plus, we have an exciting paranormal romance debut from Jeaniene Frost. Halfway to the Grave introduces us to Cat, a half-vampire slayer with a chip on her shoulder, and Bones, the sexy vampire partners with Cat in order to bring down a more menacing evil.

We also have two very exciting trade paperbacks available next month. The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen is the quintessential novel for all Jane Austen fans. Author Syrie James tackles the question that Jane fans have wondered for years: did our favorite romance author have a romance of her own? Told beautifully in a style wholly reminiscent of Jane’s own, this novel draws you into Jane’s world as no other could. And from Nadine Haobsh, former beauty editor and the blogger known as “Jolie in the City,” Beauty Confidential, a hilarious and indispensable beauty book for women everywhere. With insider advice, unbeatable beauty tips, and a handy index (with pricing information), Beauty Confidential will become your constant shopping companion.

We know that, as a writer, your imagination allows you to create so many stories and here at Avon, we are eagerly seeking those stories. We have been lucky enough to publish some of the most unforgettable voices in historical and contemporary romance. As we experiment with innovative projects such as Victoria Alexander’s ebook Lady Amelia’s Lover, we will continue to bring you the stories you’ve come to know and love. But that’s only possible with your help. As a writer, your imagination allows you to create so many stories and here at Avon, we are eagerly seeking those stories.

Right now we are looking for romances in several areas:

We are looking for deliciously romantic historical novels for all parts of the list, set primarily in Great Britain before 1900, as well as contemporary romances, filled with the emotional complexity and strong voices you’ve come to expect. With the increase in demand for suspense and African-American romance, we would also love to add to the great list of strong authors we have in these areas.

We know the interest you all have in pararnormal romances, and we are always looking for new and different takes. These can be contemporary or historical (Lynsay Sands‘ Argeneau family or Kathryn Smith’s Brotherhood), but the most important thing is to create rich, unique worlds with dark and intriguing characters.

On the trade side, Avon A offers a wide array of fiction for women, as well as strong non-fiction works that we’ve found our readers relating to (Damage Control, edited by Emma Tennant, is just one example of the types of non-fiction books we’re interested in). In addition, our erotica imprint Avon Red, continues to grow and we are looking for more authors to add to our super-sexy list.

For more information on our submission process, please visit Harper Collins.

1. Kristie(J)
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 05:33:37

Gee – surprise!

2. Anji
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 06:19:37

Just curious – how well are Stephanie Laurens’ s titles selling now compared to 1999/2000/2001, at the beginning of her Cynster books?

3. Jayne
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 06:24:34

I almost dread asking how many unmarried characters Laurens has left to marry off. Will she descend to matching up the chambermaids to the butlers before it’s all over with?

4. Jeaniene Frost
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 07:04:19

I’m flattered my publisher mentioned my book, but as they didn’t include the series title (which is on the cover) I wanted to clarify: HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE is the first novel in the NIGHT HUNTRESS series. This series will feature the same hero/heroine. So book one doesn’t end with a happily ever after. My hero and heroine WILL get their HEA, but it doesn’t happen in the first book.

Just wanted to make mention of that, since there’s a link to buy the book, but no mention of it being a series (which I know turns some readers off, so I wanted to give a head’s up :)

5. Jackie
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 07:12:28

Thanks, Jeaniene!

6. vanessa jaye
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 08:39:34

That ebook, Lady Amelia’s Lover, looks interesting. Juries out on the interactive aspect of it, though. I’d like to read it through without the pop-ups, then go back and view them.

Oct 15, 2007 @ 09:01:06

Holly says that LAL is pretty good. I meant to review the ebook release but was going to wait until it was released into the stream of commerce and then forgot.

The problem I had with LAL is that it is yet another encrypted format which requires a software download. It also requires you to be tethered to your computer. The videos aren’t really popups though, as much as embedded in between the pages. It was easy to skip them.

I think that the better idea would have been the ebook file and then podcasts that all could be loaded onto a portable reading device.

8. Emma
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 09:16:34

Sorry, but Avon slipped off my must-buy list when they stopped publishing American-set historicals. They claim readers aren’t receptive to them. My response to that is, HUH? Gee, if that’s the case, I wonder why all the other pubs don’t practice good business sense and stop publishing them as well?

9. vanessa jaye
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 10:18:09

Drat. I was going to mention that I’ve only bought e-books from the usual suspects (EC, SAMHAIN), and wondered if the transaction would differ with AVON. I don’t have a reader, so being tethered to my pc is par for the course. Glad to hear there are no pop ups, though. Some sites drive me buggy with all those rollover popups. What do you mean by, released into the stream of commerce? Massmarket PB?

uhm… now that this announcement is out, will you be posting the review afterall? This books does sound a bit different from the usual. I think I just realized that I like marriage in trouble plots, when done well.

10. Anji
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 11:19:49

Lady Amelia’s Secret Lover is also available from Fictionwise and Books On Board in the the standard ebook formats: Adobe, Microsoft Reader, Mobipocket and eReader – and it’s cheaper at both websites than on the Avon website (Fictionwise offers a 5% Micropay rebate that makes it cheaper than 3.99, and Books On Board is even cheaper).

Oct 15, 2007 @ 11:24:09

How interesting. I wonder how the video is delivered. May have to go buy to see.

Oct 15, 2007 @ 11:28:30

Went and took a look. The one sold at the etailers must not include the video:

OEBFF Format (IMP) [180 KB], SECURE MOBIPOCKET FORMAT (105 KB], SECURE MICROSOFT READER FORMAT (441 KB] – Requires Microsoft Reader 2.1.1 for PCs, or Microsoft Reader 2.2.2 on Pocket PC 2002 handheld devices. Some older Pocket PCs can be upgraded. Learn More., SECURE EREADER (FORMERLY PALM) FORMAT (86 KB], SECURE ADOBE READER 7 FORMAT (979 KB]

Those files are too small to include any video.

13. Kathryn S
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 11:41:05

First of all, I’m tickled at being mentioned. Makes me feel like I’m sitting at the adult table instead of the kids’ now. lol.

And Emma — it’s all about sales. UK set historicals seem to be what work best for Avon in terms of sales. Obviously other houses can make them work, but Avon’s not in the business to lose money — or have their authors not sell books. I’m sure if the powers that be found a great American set book that they thought they could market and sell to it’s potential then they would. Meanwhile, I know that doesn’t make you like it, but I hope that it at least makes the decision easier to swallow. :-)

Kathryn

14. Anji
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 11:44:24

Went and took a look. The one sold at the etailers must not include the video:

Yup, I borrowed the ebook from my library (which is how I knew it was available in Mobipocket), and it didn’t include video. Anyone who has seen the video, please enlighten me – what did I miss out on?

Oct 15, 2007 @ 11:52:47

I think Holly at Bookbinge.blogspot.com has watched them all. I watched only the first one and I think that there are about 5 of them interspersed through the book. I can’t recall. They all include Victoria Alexander, the author, talking about the book. The first one is the inspiration for the book, IIRC.

16. Ann Bruce
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 13:36:04

Personally, I’ve never watched a movie with the director’s/writer’s/producer’s commentary. So I have no desire to read a book and disrupt my reading experience by watching an author’s commentary?

Does the author’s commentary add any value for other readers?

17. Anji
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 13:47:57

So I have no desire to read a book and disrupt my reading experience by watching an author's commentary?

Me too – I’d rather be able to take the book with me on my reading device… Plus, I’d rather read a brief commentary or find such a video on the author’s website. No, I’d rather buy the straight ebook than the video ebook,

18. vanessa jaye
    Oct 15, 2007 @ 14:53:45

Thanks Anji. I can live without the video. I just checked my library, but they don’t have the book. I’ll have to check out Holly’s post when i get home, Dear Author is one of the very few blogs I can check into from work. Blogspots, LV, et al, –most especially Facebook(!) lol– are all blocked.