Debut Book Feature: Sweet Enemy by Heather Snow

Happy Leap Day.  Today’s “Debut Print Book Feature is Sweet Enemy by Heather Snow which sounds fascinating.  We developed a little questionnaire for Debut Print Authorsand every Wednesday at 10:00 AM CST (as long as we have content) we’ll post the questionnaire answers along with links to the author’s site and a buy link to her book. I hope this helps people discovery new books. Now, on to the answers.

Sweet Enemy Snow

Name of debut release: SWEET ENEMY

Release date: 2-7-2012

Publisher: NAL Signet Eclipse

2 sentence summary:  Beakers and ball gowns don’t mix, so when a lady chemist goes undercover as a husband-hunter to investigate the earl whose family she thinks murdered her father, romance isn’t part of her formula.  But it only takes one kiss to start a reaction she can’t control…

Genre: Regency Historical Romance with a touch of mystery

Characters:

• Miss Liliana Claremont: chemist, healer and sleuth by necessity who is happy on the shelf and in the laboratory, but for two short weeks at a country house party she’ll be trading in her beakers for ball gowns for a chance to solve the mystery of her father’s death.
  • Geoffrey Wentworth, Earl of Stratford:  war hero, reluctant earl and rising political star who wields his influence to better the lives of ex-soldiers, until a tempting houseguest and a secret from his past threaten his freedom…and his heart.

What makes this story different:  My heroine is not your average bluestocking—she’s a chemist who uses her unique and specialized knowledge to get herself into and out of some tight spots, romantically and otherwise.  Liliana and Geoffrey, while certainly people of their time, are progressive in both their attitudes and goals.  And Liliana gets to blow things up in the story J.

Is this a series? If so what book #: Yes, SWEET ENEMY is the first in the Veiled Seduction series, each featuring  science-savvy heroines, the mysteries they must solve and the men who both help them and stand in their way.

Why you wrote this book:  I was inspired by an interesting museum exhibit detailing an event that occurred during the Regency period. (Sorry to be so vague, but I don’t want to say what exhibit, lest I give away part of the mystery!  It is explained in the author’s note when you finish the book).  However, I can say that scientists were involved, which started a “What if?” mystery in my mind.  I then started to create characters that would fit the story idea.  My decision to make Liliana a chemist really came from the “write what you know” adage first time writers hear all of the time.  Having a chemistry degree myself, I thought I could lend my voice well to her character.

Why is this your first published book? How many did you write before?:  SWEET ENEMY is my first completed manuscript.

What’s your writing process?  Since my stories involve mysteries, I tend to loosely plot that part of the book first…I need to be certain the story will hold together through the end.  Then, I start thinking about characters who will both fit into that mystery and be the perfect foils for each other.  I delve into their backgrounds, figure out what makes them right and wrong for each other, and plot their character growth and romantic arcs—again, very loosely, as I’ve found if I plot too much, I kill my creativity.  Then, I start writing scene by scene, discovering the fun of the story and the characters as I go along.

Your next published book:  The second in the series, SWEET DECEPTION, releases August 7.  It features a Regency era Bones (of the Temperance Brennan variety versus the Star Trek), who gets tangled up with a Regency era James Bond.

The last book you read that you loved.  Oh wow…I’ve read a lot of books I’ve loved lately, but the last one that made me stay up all night because I just couldn’t put it down was Sarah MacLean’s “Nine Rules to Break When Romancing A Rake.”  I adored it.

The last book you read for research.  SECRET SERVICE – British Agents in France 1792-1815 by Elizabeth Sparrow.

The romance book character you most identify with.  I’d say Sara Fielding, from Lisa Kleypas’ incredible “Dreaming of You”.  I am certainly bookish, I can be absorbed and enthusiastic in my work, I’m fairly self-contained and independent and I have a deep need for security…yet a part of me longs for adventure.  I wonder if I’d have been brave enough to spar with Derek Craven.  I like to think I would J.

Heather Snow

Thanks for participating, Ms. Snow. You can find more about Ms. Snow’s work at her website: http://heathersnowbooks.com/

AmazonBNSonyKobo

If you would like to participate in this feature, please email jane at dearauthor.com

1. Dabney
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:10:41

This book sounds great! Where’s the link to buy?

2. Janine
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:23:53

I am intrigued by the author’s chemistry background because although I love novels with a science aspect, I find I haven’t had much luck with them in the romance genre. The portrayal of the scientist characters often feels off — they can be unscientific in their approach. But I think I can trust a writer with a science background to know how scientists look at the world, LOL, so I’ll take a look at this one.

3. dick
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:38:27

A good read. I’ll look for the sequel (s).

4. Jeannie Lin
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:42:14

Just downloaded this book two days ago! Chemistry and romance? I’m totally there!

I’ve a little chemistry background myself…intrigued to see how that aspect plays out in a historical romance

5. Heather Snow
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:43:20

@Dabney:

Hi Dabney! I’m glad you like the sound of SWEET ENEMY.

It looks like the buy links are right at the end of the post, just under the link to my website…buttons that say Amazon, BN, Sony, Kobo. You can also find multiple buy links on my website, including to my local indie store.

Thanks so much for taking interest in my debut :)

6. Heather Snow
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:45:48

@Janine:

Thanks Janine! I hope you enjoy it. I had fun making Liliana the scientist…it seemed like in any that I’d read that had such a character, it was always the man who got to have all of the fun. Plus, it was interesting writing an analytical woman…in fact, I liked her so much, I decided to base a whole series around my heroines :) I’ll be interested to know what you think!

Thanks for stopping by!

7. Heather Snow
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:48:39

@dick:

Dick, I’m so glad you enjoyed SWEET ENEMY! There are at least two more planned in the series, SWEET DECEPTION, which comes out in August and SWEET MADNESS which is slated to follow in 2013. Of course, there are endless interests I can give my heroines, so if readers really love the series, perhaps NAL can be persuaded to let me keep writing them :)

Thank you so much for stopping by and letting me know you enjoyed my story. I’m honored.

8. Heather Snow
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:50:38

@Jeannie Lin:

Hi Jeannie! Thank you SO much for taking a chance on my debut. It always twists my stomach a little tighter when an author I respect says they are going to read my work! I do hope you enjoy how the chemistry plays out in SWEET ENEMY :)

9. Kim in Hawaii
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:05:36

@Janine: I reviewed this book and Liliana works as a Regency miss forced to practice chemistry in private. There are several scenes in which she is able to demonstrate her knowledge with humorous results. The book was an enjoyable read and I recommend it to historical fans.

10. Meri
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:22:42

I’ve wanted to check this one out since I saw an article about it in – Central Science, was it? – but alas, geo-blocked yet again. Since I see Ms. Snow has dropped by the comments thread: (when) will it be available in more countries?

11. Heather Snow
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 14:16:57

@Kim in Hawaii:

Thanks so much, Kim! :)

12. Heather Snow
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 14:19:24

@Meri:

Hi Meri…where are you? I know it’s available in quite a few countries, at least through Amazon, in its original form. It’s also in Australian bookstores. It is available in Spanish through Random House Mondadori and will be available in Turkey at some point. Maybe if I knew better where you are located, I could help you find it!

Thank you so much for your interest :)

13. MaryK
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 16:44:01

I heard about this book a while back on a blog or twitter. Somebody was critical of it. Can’t remember who or why, but the science angle sounded interesting so I read the first couple of pages on Amazon and decided I need it.

14. Heather Snow
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 18:19:13

@MaryK:

Hi Mary! I’m thrilled that you enjoyed the opening pages of SWEET ENEMY enough to decide you must have it :) I’ve been very happy with the reader and reviewer response to my story. While my lady chemist and her love story are not everyone’s cup of tea (and really, nothing can be), over 70% of Goodreads reviews have been 4 or 5 and reviewer enthusiasm has been even better. In fact, just today, All About Romance picked SWEET ENEMY as a Desert Island Keeper! I can’t ask for more than that :)

Thanks again, and I hope you love Geoffrey and Liliana’s story. I’d welcome your thoughts when you finish it!

15. Heather Snow
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 18:21:22

I’ve just learned this afternoon that Amazon has had a “glitch” and unlinked my mass market paperback from the Kindle edition, making it look as though there is no Kindle edition of the story. Luckily, readers have tweeted and e-mailed me to bring the problem to my attention.

Sweet Enemy IS available on Kindle. However, until Amazon fixes their “glitch” you have to go directly through the Kindle store or a link. You can try this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006CU9K0S/heath07-20

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience!

16. Ros
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 18:40:23

It’s definitely available in the UK Kindle store. And, um, now it seems to be on my kindle…

17. Heather Snow
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 19:47:27

@Ros

Hi Ros! Ha! Thank you SO much. Hope you love it :)