Win One for the Reader: Signet and Edwards Parting Ways...

Sarah just sent me the link to the news release that Signet and Cassie Edwards are no longer in business together.

“Signet has conducted an extensive review of all its Cassie Edwards novels and due to irreconcilable editorial differences, Ms. Edwards and Signet have mutually agreed to part ways,” the publisher said in a statement Friday.

“Cassie Edwards novels will no longer be published with Signet Books. All rights to Ms. Edwards’ previously published Signet books have reverted to the author.

Kudos to the Smart Bitches for uncovering the extensive plagiarism and kudos to Signet and the parent company, Penguin, for doing the right thing. We now await Kensington and Dorchester.

1. Karen Scott
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 02:38:15

Yay!

2. Bernita
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 05:58:21

Highly satisfactory response from Signet – and reassuring as well.

3. Nora Roberts
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 06:36:48

A very appropriate response, imo.

4. Anon76
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 07:20:50

You know, with the response from Amazon so far on the Reba-gate issue, things were looking pretty dim. Especially since it appeared the Cassie case had flat-lined.

This, however, is like a little ray of sunshine; proof that honesty and integrity still exists in this world, and that our combined voices do count. We can only hope that the other two publishers follow in the same path.

Perhaps it’s time to send letters to Signet expressing our returned faith in them.

5. Aoife
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 08:04:09

Does anyone else feel the urge to go out and buy every Penguin/Signet book she can get her hands on? Or perhaps just writing a letter would be cheaper.

I wonder if this action on Signet’s part will have any effect on Kensington and Dorchester.

6. Jayne
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 08:20:35

Well….I’ll be damned. I’m cynical enough to have thought this would never happen. Go Penguin/Signet.

7. Nora Roberts
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 08:21:06

I agree that a quick letter expressing thanks for their efforts and response would be a good thing. People mostly write when they’re dissatisfied.

As for the other publishers, the optimist on my right shoulder hopes they also take the matter seriously and respond accordingly. The cynic on my left isn’t holding her breath.

8. (Jān)
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 08:50:41

Anyone have an address / person we can write to?

9. azteclady
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 08:55:01

Please, if anyone has an address to write to, I would dearly love to add my voice. Damn but this feels good!

10. Kristie(J)
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 09:10:20

Well, I’ll be! Kudos to Signet/Penguin for doing the right thing. Let’s hope they set an example to the other publishers and Amazon for taking the right stand! I’d too love to write to them and express my admiration.

11. K. Z. Snow
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 09:12:59

This phrase made me chuckle:

irreconcilable editorial differences

:-)

12. Janine
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 09:13:57

My reaction exactly.

13. Nora Roberts
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 09:15:13

Penguin/Signet
    375 Hudson
    New York, NY 10014

14. Jennifer McKenzie
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 09:20:37

Count me as one who never thought this would happen. When you watch an author’s sales INCREASE when they’re caught behaving unprofessionally, it’s refreshing to see someone step up and say “I won’t be a part of that.”
    Good for them.

15. DS
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 09:24:17

I was actually holding off and buying a couple of books from Penguin. I think I’ll place that order– But not through Amazon.– I’m going to see if anyone is offering new copies on Alibis or Half.com– or maybe Powell’s.

16. azteclady
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 09:25:47

Thank you, Ms Roberts.

Off to write.

17. Janine
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 10:09:21

I was actually holding off and buying a couple of books from Penguin. I think I'll place that order- But not through Amazon.- I'm going to see if anyone is offering new copies on Alibis or Half.com- or maybe Powell's.

I could be wrong but I wonder if maybe Penguin won’t see any profits from sales on Alibris or Half.com, even if the books are listed as new. Powell’s on the other hand, should not present a problem.

18. Throwmearope
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 10:10:28

Me, too, AL. Penguin publishes about every other book that I buy! Yee, haw! (As we say in the west.)

19. DS
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 10:24:36

There are categories on both Alibris and Half.com for new books. Some are probably remainders but when it comes to mass market paperback most are from small bookstores (or not so small, I’ve bought from Powell’s on Half.com)who supplement with online sales.

20. Patricia Bates
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 10:43:21

I had heard about this case but didn’t know the specifics so I’m a bit uneducated about what it’s about. However, I can honestly say that the stealing of anyone’s work to put within your own is not only illegal but immoral. Kudos to Signet for their actions!

21. Chrissy
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 11:01:15

Well I will be throwing all my money at their authors. This scandal left me absolutely heart-broken. I don’t mean to be melodramatic, but I lost faith in the genre.

Faith somewhat restored!

22. JulieLeto
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 11:24:38

I’m very proud to be a Signet author today!!

Please, write letters. (Though if you want to buy books, by all means, go ahead!) :-) But I do think that publishers need to hear when readers are pleased as much as when they are dissatisfied.

23. Robin
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 11:25:17

24. Jill Myles
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 11:36:42

This is excellent!

25. Mad
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 12:30:07

Never thought I’d see this happen…great news!

26. The Cassie Edwards Thing in My (Baseball) World « The thing is…
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 12:39:39

[…] the link to the AP article if you’d like to read the whole thing, and the link for SB/TB and DA.  Interesting and satisfying […]

27. Karmyn
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 15:50:34

I read this last night and was hoping it would be posted here. It’s about time this happened. I, like most of you, had given up hope that Ms. Edwards would finally face the consequences of her actions. This is a good start.
    I still doubt that Dorchester will do anything. Their confession magazines still advertise her heavily. It makes me want to scream every time I see one of her books.

28. CJ England
    Apr 19, 2008 @ 20:03:07

I too am pleased to see a publisher take such an action. And now the question is if the other pubs will see this as being responsible and join in, or pretend it doesn’t matter.

I hope the former.

Thanks to NR and Robin for the addys.

29. Seressia Glass: Blog Me » Blog Archive » Savage Gate…end in sight?
    Apr 20, 2008 @ 02:59:19

[…] read over on Dear Author that Signet and Cassie Edwards have parted ways due to “irreconcilable editorial […]

30. » Signet does the stand-up thing!
    Apr 20, 2008 @ 09:05:45

[…] Signet Publishing has cut ties with Cassie Edwards citing “irreconcilable editorial differences.” In other words, THEY DID THE RIGHT THING!!! […]

31. Corrine
    Apr 20, 2008 @ 11:08:42

Fantastic! A huge step in the right direction for the entire genre.

32. Shayne
    Apr 20, 2008 @ 15:03:39

Wrote them and thanked them for taking the problem as seriously as the rest of us did.

33. Jana Oliver
    Apr 21, 2008 @ 16:53:43

Alright, I agree Signet did the stand up thing and that it would take them time to get their duckies in a row to make this move. The cynical part of me wonders why we received the initial disclaimer and (sound of author shooting herself in the foot if I ever want to get a contract with these folks) why the editor(s) didn’t catch this all along.

Just had to ask. Now I’ll crawl back into my hole like a good little curmudgeon.

34. Lleeo
    Apr 21, 2008 @ 17:22:59

Wow, that’s wonderful news. And done in a very appropriate, professional manner. I’ll be keeping my eye out for Signet books in the future. :)

35. CathieCaffey
    Apr 21, 2008 @ 23:01:21

Ah, I think I figured out to sign in first where I registered, I had wondered where all my post went. Smile.
    I posted before that thanks to you all here at both blogs for bringing this to light and I enjoy a great many of Signet authors, including Jo Beverley who has her new one out now :) So I’m glad all is settled with this.

36. limecello
    Apr 26, 2008 @ 23:27:43

I just have to add, this put a smile on my face :)