What you hope doesn’t happen when your book is made into...

Twilight is to be released this week and the stars are out giving interviews left and right and left again.   We have the actress not reading the rest of the series  :

Even though all the adorable sour-pussed faces from the new vampire movie  Twilight  have been signed up for the sequel,  New Moon, the movie’s lead, Kristen Stewart, has not read the second book of the series by Stephenie Meyer. “I couldn’t wrap my head around all four huge stories at once,” she told Sci Fi Wire. “It was too informative. [Bella] wasn’t supposed to know those things, so I didn’t want to know them.” We just hate it when things are informative.

Then we have the actor playing Edward  :

Well, I mean, I think people — there’s a thing about the books where, uh, when  I  was reading them, I, ugh, I didn’t know how to read it from, you know, teenage g– or any woman’s perspective, I guess. I don’t really  know  why they like it. But what  I  thought was weird about it, the, what, the reaction I had with it was … umm…. When I read it, it seemed like  (grimaces)  I was convinced that … Stephenie was … convinced that she was  Bella, and uh, and you, it wasn’t, it was like it was a book that wasn’t supposed to be published, like reading her … her sort of sexual fantasy about some — especially when she says that it was based on a dream, and it’s like, “Oh, then I had a dream about this really sexy guy” and she just writes this  book  about it, and there’s some things about Edward that are just so specific that it’s like, I was just  convinced  that, that this woman is  mad, she’s completely  mad, and she’s in love with her own fictional creation and I — sometimes you, like, feel uncomfortable reading this thing.

1. katiebabs
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 20:21:48

I can understand the actress playing Bella not read the next in the series until she knows she will be in the movie. She has a good point.
    As for the actor playing Edward, I can’t stand him. I have read his other views on the book and the character of Edward and I want to slap my hand over his mouth.

2. RfP
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 20:26:59

I like that he read it and reacted.

3. Jia
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 20:28:42

Robert Pattinson must be trying to get fired. There’s no other explanation for the things he says.

(Maybe he should have read the book before he took the part. Then again, hindsight is 20/20.)

Nov 12, 2008 @ 20:31:01

@Jia: sad to say that Pattison actually sounds thoughtful, as if he has really analyzed the series and come away with a certain disdain for it but only after reading it. The person playing Bella, not so much. But I can see how Pattison would grate on the nerves of some.

5. theo
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 20:35:50

You do realize though that in Pattison’s quote, there are only two sentences? I can understand him maybe being a bit uncomfortable, but sheesh! Is that indicative of all his interviews? That he’s barely articulate?

6. B
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 21:03:02

I’d say my feelings are about the same as Pattison’s, only I didn’t make it far enough in Twilight to come to any conclusion other than I didn’t want to read anymore.

But I really don’t blame Pattison for the things he’s said, either. For one, it’s good to see the honesty, instead of him saying a lot of crap that he doesn’t really believe. Also, though, I think the whole thing is getting to him. I don’t think he expected the way fans were going to react to him. Between the ones who’ve been hateful that he got cast in the role (and no, I’m not talking about the ones who expressed disappointment, I’m referring to ones who’ve actually been really rude) and the ones who have been…well, to put it mildly, downright creepy, I imagine he’s feeling all kinds of overwhelmed, among other things.

I mean really. How would you feel if a six-year-old asked you to bite her?

Nov 12, 2008 @ 21:05:02

If the music sales of the Twilight soundtrack are any indicator, Twilight the movie will be huge.

The soundtrack to the keenly anticipated vampire movie “Twilight” debuted at No. 1 on the U.S. pop chart Wednesday, ending AC/DC’s two-week reign.
    The “Twilight” disc sold 165,000 copies during the week ended November 9 — of which 29% (48,000) were digital downloads, according to Nielsen SoundScan. This marks the second biggest digital week for a soundtrack since the tracking firm began monitoring album download sales in 2004. “High School Musical 2″ bowed with 62,000 downloads in August 2007.

8. Kristen
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 21:16:33

Ouch.

9. Jill Sorenson
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 21:39:22

I haven’t read the series, but I like the look of the film and both actors appeal to me. I don’t see anything wrong with what they’ve said. It isn’t necessary for them to be fans of the characters in order to play their roles well. In fact, both answers are more interesting than, “I’ve read the books and they’re wonderful. Next.”

10. Sandy (strlady)
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 21:52:29

I haven’t seen/read the actress playing Bella in an interview but when I saw the actor giving the above quote I was dumbfounded. I was thinking the same as others… Does he want the role?
    Honestly, it’s not like he’s done much after being killed off in Harry Potter. It was just such a stupid thing to say. I’m thinking that he might feel secure in his role but by talking such nonsense about a book / movie franchise that will offer you some job security in tough times he is burning some serious bridges for future work. Who in their right mind will want him in their movie when he is a marketing nightmare.

11. Shiloh Walker
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 21:52:50

I mean really. How would you feel if a six-year-old asked you to bite her?

That’s so disturbing.

Nov 12, 2008 @ 21:55:56

I’m with Jia. I think Pattinson regrets his role as Edward, fearing that he’ll never be anything but Edward forever and amen.

13. Jaci Burton
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 22:40:11

There are interviews with both of them in this week’s Entertainment Weekly.

Based on their interviews and reflections from the director about the shoot, I think they’re both just freakin bizarre. But maybe that’s just an actor thing. *shrug*

14. B
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 23:28:12

That's so disturbing.

And frighteningly true.

I think that sort of thing would get to me too. Like with any other fandom Twilight fans come in all types, but Pattison does seem to be getting an unfortunate dose of the out there ones. I too think maybe he wishes he’d never taken the part.

15. Annmarie
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 23:44:30

First of all I read the first book because my cousin told me it was fantastic… and I hated it. The entire thing just annoyed me. There was something about it that felt like nails on a chalkboard the entire time I read it.

Now for the movie… I didn’t realize that the guy playing Edward was from Harry P until I read that here. (I had an “Oh yeah, THATS where I’ve seen him before” moment.) Now, knowing that he (Pattison) was in Harry P, maybe now he is feeling scared that he is going to typecast like Daniel Radcliffe was from the HP films? I mean, could it be possible he had no idea the books were so popular and no one told him the movie was going to be just as huge? I know, it sounds like a stretch, but maybe its possible? Maybe he’s experiencing a sort of “Holy crap, what did I sign onto?” moment. He might be seriously overwhelmed.

And even though I didnt like the book I will see the movie because I’m curious… but it will probably be when it is out on video.

16. Brie
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 23:58:51

I’ve never given into the Twilight craze, the books just don’t seem like anything I would ever want to invest in. Plus I’d rather not read about a love sick teenage girl, I was one not too long ago, thank you, don’t want to go back there.

Anyway, I don’t see anything wrong with either of the quotes other than Pattison’s lack of articulation. Otherwise, he seems as though he’s seriously thought it through, just didn’t enjoy the book, and doesn’t know exactly how to go about explaining his dislike. But if I were him I would have left the author out of it, that was a little rude. Other than that, to each their own.

17. Mrs Giggles
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 01:39:07

Bizarre adult women writing on forums that their marriage is suffering because they can’t stop thinking of Edward and ignoring the husband in the process, the “Jacob fans” versus “Edward fans” wars on Livejournal, the “Stephenie Meyer SUX! LOLOLOL!!!” lashout communities gnashing their teeth at the success of the movie, and the inevitable shipping of Robert Pattinson and Kristin Stewart with all the excruciating fanfiction that will follow… I think this movie is going to provide all the wank and lolz the Web has to offer. Until the next Harry Potter movie, that is.

18. loonigrrl
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 02:26:56

“I couldn't wrap my head around all four huge stories at once,” she told Sci Fi Wire. “It was too informative.

Notice she said “huge.” That’s kind of scary. I think she just couldn’t be bothered to read the rest. Her excuse that Bella wouldn’t know blah blah blah is just her attempt to justify her laziness.

19. Diane
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 03:36:42

Makes me wonder if she’ll even read the script before she starts shooting the next movie – doesn’t a script tell you what will happen to a character as well?

20. Emmy
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 03:59:07

Maybe the cast was sort of expecting the movie to tank along with everyone else, and decided not to bother doing any research for a job they weren’t going to have. Given the excitement of the teen crowd, I think Twilight will do quite well.

I will, unfortunately, be forced through the torture of the movie, since my bratling and his cousins are chomping at the bit to see this one. Sparkly!vampires, doncha know.

21. DeeCee
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 05:03:32

Annmarie on November 12th, 2008 at 11:44 pm:
    I mean, could it be possible he had no idea the books were so popular and no one told him the movie was going to be just as huge? I know, it sounds like a stretch, but maybe its possible? Maybe he's experiencing a sort of “Holy crap, what did I sign onto?” moment. He might be seriously overwhelmed.

I read in an interview in one of the EW articles that Kristen Stewart took the role based on the director’s past with indies and that she’d had no clue about the books. She said something like she didn’t even have an email address, as well.

I suppose if you have a busy schedule, don’t get on the internet much, or don’t visit grocery/book stores often it would be easy to not know the Twilight series. I admit up until I saw the movie previews I had absolutely no idea it was based on a book. I hadn’t even heard of Meyers.

Can you imagine? Getting flack for getting the role, playing the role, interviews, photos, premieres, etc??? The only people that could understand what the cast of Twilight is going through is the cast of the Harry Potter movies.

22. NKKingston
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 05:29:35

I think poor Pattison really regrets taking the role. Everything he’s said about it suggests he finds the books and the character deeply creepy, and the fan reaction must be terrifying. I’m surprised to see him say he’s looking forwards to the sequel.

23. GrowlyCub
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 07:51:06

Until DA and SBTB started talking about Twilight I had not heard nor seen anything about it or if I did see/hear anything it did not register.

I don’t think you need to be a busy actress not to have heard of Twilight. :) Just somebody who has zero interest in vampire stories.

24. Kimber An
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 08:36:21

Never read the books and won’t see the movie. Zero interest in blood-sucking dead guys. Cold, uncuddly, ruin carpets, and no live sperm. Ick. I prefer heroes who will protect me, not eat me.

Actually, what the actor who plays Edward said makes sense.

25. Kimber An
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 08:38:51

As far as making a movie based on a book, I would never complain no matter how they messed up the story. Everyone knows the book is always better and book sales shoot through the ceiling when a movie is made.

26. Emmy
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 08:48:52

I prefer heroes who will protect me, not eat me.

Informal poll of the female staff on duty….we actually want a guy who will eat us, please and thank you. The men, however, are rolling their eyes.

27. JulieLeto
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 08:52:10

I think it’s fascinating how many different interpretations we’re seeing of what these two actors said.

On Kristen: I think it’s reasonable that she didn’t want to know anything except what her character knows at the time…to not get overwhelmed by knowing how the story turns out when she needs to concentrate on the first film only. That makes total sense to me and I find nothing wrong with what she said. Put together, the four books are HUGE and contain a lot of information that she doesn’t need until she gets to those movies, if she makes them.

On Robert: I totally agree with him. I’ve tried to read the book twice and it totally occurred to me that this was Stephenie Meyer’s private fantasy and it made me uncomfortable, too. Kudos to him for being so insightful, IMO. I’ve read the EW interviews and while he came across as quirky, he also came across as real. No pretense in showing who he is.

Oh, and I don’t think Dan Radcliffe has been typecast as HP. If he can’t make a new career for himself in film, he has the theater. He’s getting awesome reviews in Equus and I saw him in My Boy, Jack and December Boys and he did a great job in both films. I’m actually impressed with his branching out in the midst of the HP franchise so as to NOT get too typecast.

28. Mrs Giggles
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 09:26:00

I don’t know, calling Stephenie Meyer “mad” is really pushing it. I don’t think it is in good form to trash the plot or the character in a movie he is in, even if that is how he really feels inside. It’s just not professional, not in an interview that the people behind the movie has arranged for him to promote the movie.

Also, I suspect that, if Kristen has said the things Robert said, I doubt the ladies at the Twilight Livejournal circuit will be as forgiving as they are about Robert.

29. Jage
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 10:29:59

I’ve never made it pass the first Twilight book, so I agree with Robert’s sentiment even if though he should’ve been able to articulate himself a bit better though, or at least leave out the bit about her being mad, lol. A nice ‘well, it’s not my cup of tea, but since it’s aimed at female girls and is sort of a fantasy about the perfect male, that is to be expected’ would’ve sufficed.

The female lead, I’m thinking her answer is good if she didn’t actually like the first book but doesn’t want to say that and doesn’t intend on reading the rest of the series so she cops out by saying that since Bella doesn’t know what’s going to happen, neither does she.

30. Jody W.
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 11:15:16

The trailers for the movie I’ve seen so far seem very sexualized. I don’t know how the movie will compare–if it will be dominated by the same overweening, dark “alpha male” sexuality of the trailers. Add that to the fact Kristen’s character is portraying an underaged teen (unless they changed that detail) and the movie is aimed at underaged teens (and their moms, I guess) and it makes me a little eyebrow-raisy.

Disclaimer: I haven’t read the books.

Robert P’s quotes and expressions make me laugh. He seems like such a dude. Very media-unpolished at this juncture.

31. Kalen Hughes
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 11:26:44

I haven't read the series, but I like the look of the film and both actors appeal to me.

Really? The girl playing Bella comes off terribly wooden and bland in the commercials. Very “Annabeth Gish” in Mystic Pizza (a movie I otherwise quite like). I wasn't excited about the moive in the first place (the books are unreadable IMO), but a few of my friends were . . . after seeing the ads, not so much.

32. Shreela
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 11:56:45

I never heard of these books until I subbed to this blog and SBTB. Between these blogs, I read SO many posts about this series that I finally read 1-3, and decided not to read 4 because I felt bland about 1-3, plus I read reviews elsewhere about the 4th book going against some supposed vampire rules, plus the main character stayed just as wishy-washy.

PS: What did this blog change to cause problems in the newsfeed? Every word that’s italicized in this post is surrounded by double question marks, and somehow loses the spacing in the newsfeed:

“I don't really??know??why they like it. But what??I??thought was weird about it, the, what, the reaction I had with it was … umm…. When I read it, it seemed like??(grimaces)??”

That’s copied from the feed in Google Reader. When I read it, it seemed like (grimaces)…

33. Diana Peterfreund
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 11:59:41

Kalen, I think that’s about right for Bella, so it’s accurate at least.

I think Pattinson sounds like a lot of English actors to me — usually when they do interviews, they are bemused by the whole BS Hollywood vibe, and they say what they think. (and they know they can go back and make their living doing theater and period drama in England if they want). The dude from Bend it like Beckham was much the same way when they were trying to turn him into a teen idol.

Leo Di Caprio is right. Let Zac Efron have the teen-idol role. He seems to want it more.

34. Jill Sorenson
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 12:03:40

Haha. I agree that Annabeth Gish lacks pizzazz, and perhaps this Bella girl does, too, but she appeals to me nonetheless. I like her face. She reminds me of Hermione in Harry Potter.

Pattison, as Edward, looks cold and controlled and I like it.

Just my initial reaction to a few seconds of footage.

35. AndreaS
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 12:48:33

I was inclined to agree with Kristen. But I’ve decided that if she intends to do the other movies, she should have worked her way through all 4. The author when writing knows generally where the series is going. They know what is going to happen to the characters and can give them arcs and set things up without being heavy handed. In single books they can go back and make sure things flow and clues are properly placed. It really should be the same way for an actor. No actor is going to go into a movie doing a completely cold read on each scene. She’s already read the script and rehearsed. So she knows what’s going to happen, reading all 4 would just make her better informed. Give her a chance to arc Bella through all the movies instead of just through one at a time.

Patterson’s comments do come off like it was probably a bad idea to say something like that. But if that’s how he feels and he’s okay with saying it out loud, whatever. It’s not the worst thing said about Meyers and he’s not the only one to feel that way. And maybe he’s just trying to stay a person above all the mess that is Edward. Which is okay too.

36. MS Jones
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 12:50:38

Oh, the unwisdom of youth, who haven’t learned to pull their punches and utter polite inanities!

I think Pattinson’s honesty is refreshing, but maybe I’m a little burnt out from all the election media spin.

He’s not criticizing the movies, btw, but the books. Others have made similar observations about the author’s creation (see the LDS subtext in Sparkledammerung and more on how Edward’s perfection is a reflection of the “white and delightsome” ideal . Stoney321 sums up Meyers’ relationship with Edward thusly:

HI THERE CREEPY AUTHOR WANTING TO BONE YOUR PROPHET.

37. Diana Peterfreund
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 13:07:18

Andrea said:

“I was inclined to agree with Kristen. But I've decided that if she intends to do the other movies, she should have worked her way through all 4. The author when writing knows generally where the series is going. They know what is going to happen to the characters and can give them arcs and set things up without being heavy handed. In single books they can go back and make sure things flow and clues are properly placed. It really should be the same way for an actor.”

But sometimes the filmmakers don’t want you to do that. For instance, the produccers of Dexter specifically told the cast members NOT to read the Dexter books, so it wouldn’t color their interpretation. The girl playing Dexter’s girlfriend admits she read it anyway.

The Harry Potter filmmakers had to have interviews with Rowling because the series was unfinished to talk about if they were doing something that would be difficult to undo given the plot structure of future books. Rowling admits that the director of the third film went to places she was planning on going without realizing these were her plans.

So no, I don’t think it’s necessary. But I do think she sounds like she’s backtracking from being caught in a “what? me read a big book with no pictures?” gaffe.

38. vanessa jaye
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 13:09:01

That actor’s statement (playing Edward) strikes me as the exact way my 20yr son would react (including the uhms, ahs, and akward pauses). He’s trying not to be hurtful, while being truthful/saying what’s on his mind, and sort of putting his foot in his mouth. lol.

I agree with Kristen’s reasoning, except I also get the vibe that it’s being used as handy excuse not to read a book she has no interest in reading.

Pattison, as Edward, looks cold and controlled and I like it.

Haven’t read the books, and have no plans to, but this piqued my interest. I might just see the movie. I’m crushing MAJORLY on Stephen Moyer’s Bill on True Blood, and wouldn’t mind if he had some company. natch.

39. Ann Bruce
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 13:31:11

The same ladies who, when Pattison was cast, exclaimed, “Oh noes! He’s not good-looking enough to be Edward!”?

Pattison also compared Edward to a “piece of cheese” at one point. I think I’ll watch his next non-Twilight movie. :)

40. karmelrio
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 13:58:48

I feel for Pattinson, who is a young (achingly young) guy who finds himself in the middle of a media circle-jerk because he took an acting job.

41. DS
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:02:54

Pattinson’s comments have me watching him as an actor. His statements are refreshingly frank, and I agree they show that he has thought about the character.

I think I would also be creeped out to be playing a role of the main course in a stranger’s sexual fantasy.

42. Shiloh Walker
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:50:07

That's so disturbing.

And frighteningly true.

I think that sort of thing would get to me too. Like with any other fandom Twilight fans come in all types, but Pattison does seem to be getting an unfortunate dose of the out there ones. I too think maybe he wishes he'd never taken the part.

Now that’s really disturbing.

I think I feel kind of sorry for the actor. $50 says this guy had no clue how huge this movie was going to be. He’s 22 and now he’s got the rest of his life, or at least until he outgrows the pretty boy stage, to be considered Edward, and nothing else.

43. Kalen Hughes
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 16:44:26

He's 22 and now he's got the rest of his life, or at least until he outgrows the pretty boy stage, to be considered Edward, and nothing else.

Cedric forever!

Just kidding. I did quite like him in HP though.

44. Seanna
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 17:42:13

I’ve been following the Twilight fandom wank for quite some time, and I have to say that I feel so sorry for Robert.

It’s quite obvious neither of these actors knew what they were getting into when they signed on. With the movie itself, it seems like both actors took their roles very seriously, hoping to make it more than just marshmallow-fluff; unfortunately for them, that’s all that Twilight is. I think that it’s great (and very professional) that Rob actually analyzed the text and role, trying to extract Edward’s character. Robert was saddled with a huge role to live up to, and he tried to act according to his own interpretation, i.e, Edward is a creepass, while having the director and Stephenie herself shoving Perfect McSparklepants down his throat. From what I’ve heard of the production, it sounded very nerve-wrecking for him to try to be perfect when he’s not.

Now that production is over, Rob has had to tour the world promoting the movie while dealing with fangirls up and down the spectrum of extreme. The poor boy is clearly terrified of the thousands of screaming girls (and mothers), as most would be. He’s probably also frustrated that no one identifies him as “Robert Pattinson” but only as his character – his media trainers won’t let him cut his “trademark” hair even though it’s driving him crazy. He’s also probably frustrated that he has to promote a series of books he personally finds ridiculous. He’s exhausted, terrified, and unwashed. He is not coping with his new insta-fame at all, yet you can tell he is trying his hardest.

Rob is also doing several films after Twilight, both of which seem to be, at the very least, “quirky”. It seems he is trying to pull a Johnny Depp by pulling away from the “pretty boy” everyone is fan-gasming over and instead hiding in odder roles.

45. MaryK
    Nov 14, 2008 @ 13:18:40

his media trainers won't let him cut his “trademark” hair

What is with that hair??? It’s like a whole separate character. It’s all I notice in the movie trailer. That and the bad guy. I’m much more interested in the bad guy.

46. Miki
    Nov 14, 2008 @ 16:00:34

Given how often movies deviate from the original written work, why is it so surprising the actress doesn’t want to read these books? I doubt that many actors actually read the books their movies are based on.

And I don’t think Mr. Patterson is the first young actor to speak disparagingly about a movie’s fans, either…

47. Susan/DC
    Nov 16, 2008 @ 21:34:42

I know it’s somewhat off topic, but I just saw a Swedish vampire movie called “Let the Right One In”. They wisely released it in the US several weeks before “Twilight”. It probably was done on 1/100th of Twilight’s budget, and it will probably do 1/100th of the business, but I found it quite wonderfully scary and intriguing. The ordinariness of most of the characters and the blandness of the setting made the horror stand in even starker contrast. Most definitely not a film where you come out sighing for the hero as a sex object (he’s only 12), but your heart does go out to him nonetheless as a lonely boy beset by bullies in the dark of a Swedish winter. His new neighbor, Eli, becomes his friend and he protector, even as he comes to realize she’s not an ordinary girl.

48. Does an Author Have to Live It to Write It? | Dear Author: Romance Book Reviews, Author Interviews, and Commentary
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 09:46:41

[...] inserting herself into the book and I’m reading some strange fantasy.  I guess that is a bit how Robert Pattison feels about Stephenie Meyer’s [...]

49. Katie
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 18:58:57

Wow..that’s just wow

I get Stewart not reading the whole series yet but..wow

Pattinson, well, I can kinda get what he is saying, after all, he is a guy reading a romance novel told in first person POV from the girl. Kinda awkward no? But still…wow….

50. Rebekah
    Nov 24, 2008 @ 00:32:12

In the film business, it’s all about the bottom line. After reading a few cast interviews, it seems the leads were fighting tooth and nail to not make this movie complete fluff. She (Stewart) even said she thought some of the lines in the film were corny and embarrasing. I’m a fan of Ms. Stewart. The first (and only) role I saw her in was a Lifetime movie (I know, I know! lol) named Speak. It’s about a highschool freshman who was slightly popular but loses everything when an upperclassman rapes her. Ms. Stewart barely opens her mouth in the film (character refused to say anything and when others found out she was ridiculed ) and does a wonderful job portraying this character. By the end of the movie I’m screaming at the screen for her to speak and tell her parents what’s going on. I was pretty impressed. Highly recommend. Ms. Stewart has even said she’s not sure she’d do a sequel, because she prefers to make her own way.
    As for Mr. Pattinson, he’s British. What happens in America is a little crazy. There are tons of famous actors that cause a lot of probs on set, speak badly about the film, but if they bring in the money, they’ll keep the role. It’s refreshing that he’d rather be honest (and attempt to say it nicely… didn’t exactly achieve it though lol) than tote the company line.
    I WILL NOT be seeing Twighlight because it was a book series I wouldn’t touch if I was paid (SM is a little weird…) , but the lead actors interviews have made me fans of their career. We’ll have to see what these two do after this mess to see if they can act their way out of a box.
    And, am I the only one who hasn’t read ANY HP and only watched the one movie Pattinson was in (where he was a ghost or something) because David Tennant played Bobby (or Barty) Crouch Jr ? I love David Tennant… num num. He’s always be my Doctor… lol

51. Meryl
    Dec 29, 2008 @ 00:14:55

I kind of understand kristan. But I never thought about it as creepy the way rrobert does. I guess it’s cause i’m a girl.

52. Amey
    Dec 31, 2008 @ 21:51:48

No wonder why the movie sucked so bad. It doesn’t even seem like the actors and actresses even cared about the books themselves? Here is a thought… how about get a good cast that cares about the writer and can depict how the story would have actually gone and not just throw together a bunch of film clips and call it a movie? Just a thought!

53. Ann Somerville
    Jan 01, 2009 @ 03:16:29

@Amey:

not just throw together a bunch of film clips and call it a movie?

I suspect the film sucked because the base material is shoddy, but having read and seen neither, I’m going by other people’s reports.

54. Amey
    Jan 01, 2009 @ 12:10:01

You are right that the cast has nothing to do with the final compilation of the film. Although, keep in mind that reading what the actor for Edward said in lines that he didn’t care for the story itself and that he basically held no ground for the basis of how the character should have acted… that is more of what I was getting at.
    I realize that the director, editor and producer had the most to do with the film. Edward was played by a person who did a good enough job given the script that he had… and Bella also did a good enough job. It is just hard to see such a great and maticulous and thought out book given to the hands of someone who did not do the book justice in the making of the film.

55. Natalie
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 04:46:32

Robert Pattinson is hilarious. I think the stammering and uh’s and um’s were a bit over the top, though.
    I just saw the movie, and that Kristen girl needs to go. She is so bland. It’s like she’s reading the script with no feeling at all. They need a girl more suitable to play Bella. If I were Stephenie Meyer, I’d feel insulted that my main character was portrayed that way. Its no wonder that people who saw the movie and hadn’t read the books hated Twilight. I would, too. Its mainly because of Edward that people want to see it anyways.

56. Chloe
    Jan 09, 2009 @ 11:29:05

I agree that Kristen Stewart could have put more feeling into the Bella charcter I saw the film first and thought it was brilliant so i ordered the books and felt that Bella’s character wasn’t portrayed as well as she should have been. Take the scene wit Jacob Black i only found out after reading the book she was meant to be flirting it was not portrayed in the scene AT ALL. She seems dead, maybe she should have read the books so she could portray the character better and as she was meant to be played not boring and downright dull.

Robert Pattinson has a right to express his views just because he has been hired for a role does not mean that he cant express his views, he shouldn’t be slated for it and like many have said at least he took the time to read the books and has obviously thought about it.

My only regrets on reading the books are that Edward Cullen has left me with unrealistic expectations in men.

57. CezQuixote
    Jan 13, 2009 @ 20:48:26

Interesting points of view, and assessments. Practically 85% of what I read is the way I feel also. It would be interesting to me to find out which age ranges we are all in. It seems we’ve been around a bit longer than Pattinson or Stewart although I could be wrong. That, or there are some of us who are deeply introspective, and wise in youth. Pattinson is an actor. It seems he’s not begging to be adored, but, his work he does hope fans appreciate. I also, like anyone in the entertainment field who does not mince words, and lie all of the time. About the “mad” comment about Mrs. Meyer, I think the Brits have a different lingo regarding certain thoughts. He does say that she was not the way he perceived her to be prior to meeting her.

I’m an artist. I love doing artwork of these beautiful characters (the monster sparkles were the real madness). Most particularly Robert. I didn’t read the whole of any of the books, and I’m glad I didn’t. Anne Rice was more my speed. Someone talked me into going to see the movie, although I was curious anyway. I’ve always liked vampire tales. The movie was odd for a feature film, but it held my attention, and I watched mainly because I wanted to fully understand my attraction to Robert. Perhaps I’m a a bit immature but, I think his character and his looks smoulder. I like that a lot. He has said that he admires Jack Nicholson as an actor. With that said, how could Pattinson be anything else but cheeky? I picked up my Edward Cullen action figure yesterday at Borders. I’ve got a feeling that New Moon will be better.

58. Stephanie
    Mar 13, 2009 @ 15:09:15

okay so i like how Robert read the series..his um er reaction was funny and strange. I love the Twilight series i read all 4 books in the series.I get why Kristen wouldnt read the book cause she shouldnt no whats gana happen it will get her more into charachter. I recomend the movie and the book to everyone. I got all my friends into the whole Twilight thing so now every1 i hang out with loves it just like me.

59. Caroline
    Apr 11, 2009 @ 21:14:12

on that last point you are wrong! (see book 4).

60. Amey
    Apr 11, 2009 @ 21:56:17

@ Ann

“The cast have absolutely nothing to do with the final compilation of the film – so if it appears ill-coordinated, the fault lies with the director, the editor and the producer.

I suspect the film sucked because the base material is shoddy, but having read and seen neither, I'm going by other people's reports.”

I completely agree. Melissa Rosenberg wrote the screenplay and botched the movie. She has even stated in interviews that she was at first a bit timid about meeting Stephanie Meyers for fear that having the author there might stop her from using her creativity in the movie. The director has been replaced for obvious reasons though it seems as though she has left because supposedly she doesn’t think there is enough time and money to make New Moon so soon. On that point I have to agree. With all that they left out or completely destroyed I don’t see how they will pull this movie back from the gutters.
    As far as Robert Pattinson goes… watch some of his interviews and there is actually even one that says the only reason why he is doing this film is because he was broke. He also states that he doesn’t like the character, doesn’t feel that he can get “into” the role of it and doesn’t like the story.
    Anywhoo, it really doesn’t matter much. It isn’t as though anyone who directed, produced or wrote the screen play are going to read what the fans write. Even if they do they are interested in the money. If they weren’t they wouldn’t have botched up the first movie so bad.
    I get that this movie bankrolled at the theatres but not because it was “great!” but more because we thought it was going to be the love story that was portrayed by the author. I know that there are those who honestly feel that the movie was great and for those people, kudos. I can’t help but be more anal because when you actually look and research into the people in the film, behind the writing of it and the producing it becomes depressing that someone could make that much money out of so many people. I will not be wasting my money on the movie when it comes out. I will be borrowing it from someone else to watch. I refuse to give any more to anyone who stands behind this film in terms of money.
    Even if they do figure out how to fix this next film (which will be impossible) I still wouldn’t buy it only because there is no way to fix what has been broken in terms of the story. Melissa basically took some key lines from a book that was amazing and then re-wrote the movie how she felt it should have been.
    Just my opinions though…. I hope no one gets offended… that is why this is a blog and all. :)

61. Madison
    Nov 26, 2009 @ 16:45:25

I agree with Robert Pattison! Stephenie Meyer is mad as a hatter!
    I’m surprised he was able to stomach reading that filth, I couldnt even finish the first book, I had to stop because I could feel myself losing IQ points with every word I read.