What Is Likely to Be the Most Pirated Book of 2009?

A:   Sarah Palin’s biography/political memoir.   Rumor is that Palin is going to get $7 million for her biography/memoir/collection of stump speeches about that terrorist loving President-Elect of ours, the Bridge to Nowhere, Joe the Plumber, Tito the Builder, Earmarks for Eskimos.   The problem for Palin is that she is generally disliked by the broad spectrum of literary folks and by those on the internet. I predict her book will be out on the internet, possibly even before publication, as everyone rushes to read it while not wanting to pay for it.

1. Marsha
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 14:28:42

You know, my brain really, really wants to dislike Palin but my heart just won’t go along. Don’t get me wrong, I think she’s 9,000 kinds of nuts (not the kind tasty with chocolate) and I wouldn’t have voted for her ticket if paid handsomly in cash and books to do so but there’s something just so everywoman about her that I feel kind of bad when she’s the but of jokes. It’s not like she’s Britney’s mom, for God’s sake, and I keep feeling like if I cornered her in an empty room she’d drop the silly act and turn out to be the well-turned out, intelligent, savvy mom I wished she’d been. To the extent that I think she was a pawn, I just can’t make the leap into disdain.

I’m a working mom, too, and goodness knows I’ve taken my share of snide remarks and second guessing about the way I’m raising my kids and my fitness for having had them in the first place. And remarks about my brainpower and organizational prowess when it all blows up in my face and I say something stupid (which happens more often than I’ll ever admit). And although my husband and I have been together now for nearly two decades (!) there are still those who wonder about the attraction (we’re a beauty (him) and the beast (me) couple) and if it will last. I can’t imagine having these issues played out in public for everyone’s comment.

2. Anonymousie
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 14:30:10

Nothing could induce me to read a book by (or even nominally by) or about Sarah Palin. Free or otherwise. And if she gets a $7 million advance, I hope whoever pushes for it gets fired or otherwise severely penalized. Anyone with an ounce of brainpower would know it wouldn’t earn out an advance like that and publishers are supposed to be *businesses.*

(Joe the Plumber also has a book that he’s self-publishing. I wonder how many copies THAT will sell.)

3. RfP
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 14:35:15

The problem for Palin

Probably more a problem for her publishers. She gets the $7M regardless.

4. Leah
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 14:43:21

I didn’t think Sarah Palin was a good VP pick. It gave me one more reason to vote for Obama, and pushed my husband to vote for him, too. I didn’t really like the way she pandered to right-wing fears and thought some of the remarks she made in her speeches were uncalled for. I really don’t see why so many people were swooning over her. But now that the election’s over, I think that there’s no need to keep picking at her. And really, I wish she could have kept the clothes. It’s the “Pretty Woman” fantasy come true–I can’t begrudge her that!

5. RfP
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 15:00:26

I wish she could have kept the clothes. It's the “Pretty Woman” fantasy come true-I can't begrudge her that!

Hee. So larceny’s OK if it fits the fairytale? I’m glad the world *doesn’t* work that way! If we go by Hansel and Gretel’s story, murdering old women is hunkydory too ;)

6. Chantal
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 17:29:28

You could not pay me to read her book.

7. Ann Bruce
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 17:46:41

I predict Palin’s book won’t earn back the advance, but that’s the publisher’s problerm.

Weren’t there discussions earlier about publishers needing to change their business model?

8. Ann Bruce
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 17:52:57

Wait, it’s Palin and the religious right love her.

*sigh*

“No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.”
    ~ HL Mencken

9. Mrs Giggles
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 21:26:39

Yes, I’m shallow, but while I’d give Sarah’s memoir a pass, I’d love to get my hands on a pirated copy of Playgirl’s spread of Todd Palin. Wait, Playgirl folded, right? Okay, any of those gay men’s adult magazine then.

10. Keishon
    Nov 18, 2008 @ 23:15:05

I couldn’t stand to hear her speak so I certainly will have to give her a book a pass if it will rehash or reintroduce her stump speeches that quite frankly, made not a lick a sense to me. I’ll wait like everybody else and read the highlights.

11. DS
    Nov 19, 2008 @ 11:23:08

I wonder who they will get to ghost it for her?

I think we all need to worry now about Palin in 2012. I keep this site as a clickable link on my desktop http://www.palinaspresident.us/never/index.html

12. Wendy
    Nov 19, 2008 @ 16:39:49

Thanks for that DS.

13. LDB
    Nov 20, 2008 @ 19:49:05

If I read non fiction I’d read this, unfortunatly I don’t and besides it always sort of bothers me when people start publishing memoirs so young. As for all the strong opinions on Palin, I must say it sort of is reafirming to hear all the nonconservative women bashing her, I always thought I was less of a women for thinking equaly negative things about Hilary, but turns out it is now ok to not want every woman to do well in a man’s world if she goes against everything you hold dear, while still calling yourself a feminist.

14. Ann Bruce
    Nov 20, 2008 @ 20:24:55

I must say it sort of is reafirming to hear all the nonconservative women bashing her, I always thought I was less of a women for thinking equaly negative things about Hilary, but turns out it is now ok to not want every woman to do well in a man's world if she goes against everything you hold dear, while still calling yourself a feminist.

First of all, I am a conservative (but only fiscally), and I don’t dislike Palin because she’s a woman, I dislike Palin because of her political and social stances and her firm belief that she is able be VPotUS, despite not even knowing what a VPotUS does.

And I like Hillary Clinton just fine, thank you very much.

ETA because I fat-fingered something.

ETA because I think I missed LDB’s point the first time: If Palin had been a man, she wouldn’t have even been considered for VP. Feminists want equality with men. Is equality being achieved when a women succeeds because she has boobs?