Wednesday News: RH lifted to record year by 50 Shades;...

From my Inbox:

It’s Forever’s 10th anniversary, and in celebration we’re giving two lucky fans a chance to win free registration to attend the RT BookLovers Convention!  ($474 value*)  Enter for a chance to win a ‘Readers’ registration to this year’s convention May 1 – 5, at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, or next year’s convention in New Orleans, May 14th – 18th.**

You will also receive:

- An invitation for you and a guest to the Forever Pre-Ball Cocktail Party at the New American

- Membership in the “Forever Fanatics” club – an exclusive group who will be invited to preview advanced reads and exclusive promotional opportunities for an entire year!

*If you have already purchased your registration for this year’s conference, we will check with the conference coordinators and reimburse your fee.

**Winners are responsible for their own travel arrangements, accommodations, meals and incidentals.

For a chance to enter, please click here. The contest ends April 30. (It’s a facebook app thingy)

The situation is just as bad abroad. In Denmark, libraries were paying $3 per digital loan but publishers balked at that arguing that digital use was eroding paper sales. The limited access to literature via the library lending program hurts the least affluent segment of our society and it harms literary culture overall. Publishers should see libraries as an investment in audience building rather than an erosion of immediate sales. The Economist

graffiti

1. Patricia Eimer
    Mar 27, 2013 @ 07:22:18

It just kills me that libraries and booksellers can’t get together and make things work. Hello? For a lot of us libraries were the first safe space in our lives where reading was encouraged.

But the video? That made my day.

2. SAo
    Mar 27, 2013 @ 08:22:49

$2 to $3 per book is about what I’d pay for a subscription service with unlimited offerings and no wait list. Since my e-library is free, I will try out books I’m not sure I’ll like, read a few pages and drop them. If I had to pay as much as a buck, I wouldn’t read them. On the other hand, I find new authors this way and recommend books if I like them.

I don’t know how discovery is going to happen at $9.99/book and no libraries. I belong to a book club and most of the books we read are recommended by someone or the winner of some prize and a lot of them are a waste of my $10.

3. ljd
    Mar 27, 2013 @ 08:34:45

I find prices of non-romance ebooks even worse. Often then ones I want are $12-15 :( Those are the books I usually try to get from the library. Often I have to wait quite a while for popular books.

Also, I have a Sony so I don’t care, but .mobi format still isn’t available through the library in Canada. I think it’s been available in the US for 1.5 years now? Of course, I am sure there are ways around this…

4. Christine
    Mar 27, 2013 @ 08:48:27

It’s clear these publishers don’t realize the damage they are doing by deliberately alienating libraries in this fashion. When the price fixing began with e-books I turned more and more to libraries for the high priced “hardcover” books to see if I would like them and want to purchase them. I’ve noticed the libraries have simply stopped purchasing a number of big name romance authors due to the restrictions on the books and it’s caused many of them to fall off my radar. I’m sure I’m not the only one. More and more indie and lesser known authors are showing up with huge waits for their e-books on the libraries web sites. I can’t help think that the extra exposure from well placed libraries are helping authors with more accessible books gain more exposure.

5. KT Grant
    Mar 27, 2013 @ 11:43:58

Twilight fan fiction, saving one publishing house at a time.

6. Darlynne
    Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:00:17

I just saw that our county-wide library system purchased only one hardcover copy of Lover at Last. That’s a complete change from the previous books where there were usually up to ten copies in circulation at a time. Hard times are coming and it’s so, so stupid and unnecessary on the part of the publishers.

7. MaryK
    Mar 27, 2013 @ 15:35:05

This Saturday is my library’s monthly book sale. Hello, 25 cent paperbacks.

8. library addict
    Mar 27, 2013 @ 16:44:26

I wish publishers would stop looking at readers who use the library as pond scum. I’m sure they have studies/data that prove libraries are needed to create a reading culture. Everyone I know who reads on a regular basis has used a library at some point in the past and most continue to do so. And library reading leads to sales.

Loved the video! And now I have the song stuck in my head.

9. Susan
    Mar 27, 2013 @ 19:21:59

@library addict: Agree. The kids who checked out as many books as they could carry grew up to be the adults who bought as many books as they could carry. The shortsightedness is astounding.

10. DB Cooper
    Mar 28, 2013 @ 06:57:17

Yikes! If I ever go so far as to run in here and excitedly announced “I’ve been published”, someone remind me to purchase a bunch of copies for my local libraries…if they want em. :D

11. B. Sullivan
    Mar 28, 2013 @ 19:50:48

The other thing we’re missing out at the libraries – foreign authors. Sometimes we’re late to getting a translation, now we may never get a copy even if there is one. How can some of us even try the classic lit of other countries without access? These books are almost always pricey when you buy them online – and you almost have to go online because you rarely see “popular only in other country” authors in US stores. Having a first chapter/sample available online is at least something we didn’t have – but still doesn’t seem enough.