Wednesday News: Princes thick on the ground; Cybersecurity bill aims to...

Image from Big Stock Photos

I thought this piece was kind of hilarious given how many princes there are in Harlequin Presents book but apparently those books are not exaggerating.  One of the lines in Caitlin Crews’ book, Man Behind the Scars is “The whole island seemed to be bursting at the seams with this prince, that sheikh and any number of flash European nobles, their ancient titles and inherited ranks hanging from their elegant limbs like the kind of fine accessories Angel herself could never afford. It was the first time in Angel’s twenty-eight years that she’d ever found herself in a room—a palace ballroom, to be sure, but it was still, technically, a room—with a selection of princes. As in, princes plural.

The post goes on to say that this technology could be opened up beyond groups which would allow people to identify who has been stalking/visiting their Facebook pages.

This is a passage from the keynote delivered by Stephanie Laurens at RWA. This seems like a marked departure from her posts just a year earlier.  The bolded emphasis was added by me.  Laurens is making some important points although she is wrong, of course.  Without Amazon making the digital market with the Kindle, the “online industry” probably wouldn’t exist and we would be at 5% ebook sales and I would still be railing at publishers and authors to make their books available digitally.  Further, with the success of 50 Shades in the print market, obviously publishers and their print distribution channels are invaluable right now.  May that change in the future? Of course, but to say that retailers and publishers are not and never can be essential is simply wrongheaded.  One thing Laurens didn’t address and she should have given she is from Australia is how the Online Industry has transformed the market into a global one and where territory rights make so much less sense now than it ever did.

NPR is conducting a poll to see what YA titles should be on a top 100 list. The nominations were curated by Pamela Paul, the features editor and children’s book editor; Diane Roback, the children’s book editor of Publishers Weekly; Tasha, the book editor of The A.V. Club, the arts and entertainment wing of The Onion; and Ted Schelvan is a teacher librarian at Chief Umtuch Middle School in Battle Ground, Wash. All of this is giving me an idea….

1. DS
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 08:04:29

Oh, yeah, that’s what this country needs, more felons. Hear me banging my head against the wall.

2. Annemarie
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 08:07:15

While I understand how outing snoopers on FB would be a comfort to some people who have been harassed, I’m not at all comfortable with the idea of a 7th grade boyfriend knowing I had a look at his profile. It’s kind of a double-edged sword. On one hand, a cyberbully might think twice about posting a tirade against a victim if they can see who’s looking at it (school officials, fellow parents, and so on.) On the other hand, if one saw someone on FB bragging about a crime they committed, wouldn’t it be less likely the crime would be reported if the criminal can see who outed them?

I quite like the widget in the last link. I usually to GR because it serves the same purpose of capturing multiple retailers in one shot, so it’s nice to see something similar in widget format.

3. MrsJoseph
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 11:37:20

@Annemarie: I agree.

4. LisaCharlotte
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 19:45:59

I think I’d you can’t move around Facebook privately, a lot of people will stop using it. One reason I don’t use LinkedIn much is it tells you who looked at your profile. I know LI isn’t the same audience as FB, but I would not use FB i left a trail everywhere I went.

5. Ann Somerville
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 20:02:22

“In European countries, there are more princes than dentists.”

And of course, if you can’t find a prince by blood, you can do what Zsa Zsa Gabor did – marry a manufactured one:

“allow people to identify who has been stalking/visiting their Facebook pages.”

Is there any reason people worried about strangers ‘stalking’ their pages can’t make them private/friends only? I recently found that the predator who targeted my brother has a facebook page. Why is he entitled to know who has been visiting his publicly available profile? Even I as an admin of my own website am only getting IP address information, not names, about site visitors. This creeps me the hell out.

This shit sounds like a tool for stalkers, not a tool against stalkers.

“what this country needs, more felons.”

Yeah, I get the feeling that the US Government – or at least the hard core rightwingers – won’t be happy until everyone who isn’t a member of the ruling elite has a criminal record and can be denied rights and benefits on the basis thereof. Crucially, that they can be denied the right to vote where politically expedient.

6. Daniela
    Aug 02, 2012 @ 06:27:03

@Ann Somerville:

Or worse end up with the adopted son of this adopted son who owns a stack of brothels and doesn’t act like a “prince” at all.

Never got the lure of the whole ‘prince’-thing. Way too much inbreeding for my taste. Just reading into the Hapsburg-family-histoy gives me the shivers, though it does make for some nicely dramatic story material.

7. Jayne
    Aug 02, 2012 @ 08:01:41

@Daniela: I’ve read too many things about real Princes that make them sound more like flashy Euro trash than anyone I’d want to hook up with.