Wednesday News: Net neutrality ruling, James Frey is back, a Pride...

“Another fear among Net neutrality supporters is that broadband providers could create tiers of service that would require Internet companies trying to reach their customers over this infrastructure to pay a fee for a certain quality of service. For example, Amazon may pay Verizon to prioritize its traffic to ensure that its streaming services get a better quality of service or so that its Web pages load more quickly. Net neutrality supporters say such a system would relegate smaller Internet companies, which cannot afford to pay for priority service, to a slower and less reliable Internet. These Net neutrality advocates say this will stifle innovation.” CNET News

“Paul Constant, books editor at Seattle’s the Stranger, tweeted, ‘James Frey is still terrible, and he’s still being rewarded for it. His Hunger Games ripoff sold for $2 million.’ Writer Sarah Weinman followed by tweeting, ‘Suzanne Collins’ people should be looking at this with a very, very fine-toothed comb.'” Los Angeles Times

“The night the club was to meet, I showed up early, thinking I’d introduce myself at the start and ask if they wanted me there or not. But it was an informal setting, and it just felt too pompous to pop up and exclaim, “Hello, I’m the author!” I decided to wait until we were all supposed to introduce ourselves. I’d identify myself then, quietly reveling in the murmurs of surprise and delight that were sure to follow when they discovered the great man himself was among them.” New York TImes

1. Janine
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 08:08:19

Is there any hope left for net neutrality or is this ruling the end of the line?

2. Talia
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 08:11:33

James Frey is an ethical swamp but the hand wringing over this is ridiculous. “Teenagers compelled to fight to the death in a futuristic dystopia” wasn’t original when Collins wrote it, it was the world and characters she built around it that made it hers. Frey’s universe doesn’t sound anything like Panem – the secrecy is different for one thing, and it doesn’t sound like these are fights being broadcast. If Collins’ people are going to go after every Hunger Games derivative YA they’d better get a comfy chair, they’re going to be there a while.

3. Gloria
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 08:25:05

@ Janine, it’s an appeals court so if a higher court accepts a challenge to the ruling than it can go up the chain. I’m not sure what court it would be in that case, and so far SCOTUSblog hasn’t mentioned the case.

I find it fascinating that James Frey still sells books, let alone signing a movie deal. How close is his book to Hungergames? I haven’t read either so this is the first I’ve heard about it.

4. Janine
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 09:10:46

@Gloria: The Frey book honestly doesn’t sound that similar to The Hunger Games to me.

5. Isobel Carr
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 09:54:52

As much as I dislike Frey, his book doesn’t sound anymore like a Hunger Games ripoff than Hunger Games was a Battle Royale ripoff. Similar basic idea (which we all know is fair game) executed in its own way. Besides, at this point in publishing, even if Frey’s book was Hunger Games fan fiction would anyone really care?

6. wikkidsexycool
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 10:05:43

Hmm. The Hunger Games vs. Endgame.
    Both have twelve districts, both are set in a world similar to earth. Both have “game” in the title, and each premise has teen fighters who battle to the death. Collins has a lottery to pick the winners, or the warriors. I wonder what Frey uses?

I’d say Frey and the movie studio backing the book want to see if they can funnel some of those Hunger Games big dollars their way. If they succeed, it will be looked at as a smart move. Unfortunately, they also risk being compared to that blockbuster franchise in not only the plot, but the strength of the young actors they pick for the leads. Which may not be such a good thing, especially if it gets panned.

I wonder if “Endgame” has a female champion, or if Frey went with a male lead?
    Anyway, some argue that Collin’s book is similar to a Japanese movie where kids on an island fight to the death, called Battle Royale.

7. Susan
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 11:33:57

Granted that the Baker article was amusing, but it was still pretty skeevy behavior on his part.

8. Lada
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 12:38:09

Comcast/Xfinity has been charging different rates for better internet service for some time now. For an extra $20/month, you supposedly get 2x internet speeds. I’m not willing to pay and never noticed a difference when I received the premium service as a 3 month bonus. Also not convinced my neighborhood’s outdated infrastructure supports the different speeds any way.

Not a fan of the idea of bigger companies being able to pay for premium service to help feed traffic to their already bloated sites.

9. Isobel Carr
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 12:53:39

@Lada: Net Neutrality isn’t about whether or not consumers have choices of different overall speeds, it’s about whether or not everything you choose to access on the plan you pay for has the same delivery speed (e.g. Comcast could choose to put Netflix in a slow lane while they cut a deal with Amazon for the fast lane, or vice-a-versa).