Wednesday News: Love in the library stacks; US bourbon maker commits...

save the date - library card

1. SAO
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 04:15:47

42% alcohol is not weak for whiskey. It’s normal to dilute whiskey after aging to get the desired proof. It has to be at least 80 proof (40% alcohol). I suspect if Maker’s Mark had managed their press better, they’d have said they were reducing the alcohol content for a smoother taste or some such nonsense and no one would have thought it was watered down whiskey.

Interestingly enough, the issue is that they are a brand of Diageo, a big conglomerate and if they increased their price to meet demand, they’d disrupt the price points of their brand lines.

2. Ren
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 05:50:08

Bill Samuels Sr. is one of my business heroes. The philosophy from the start of Maker’s Mark was “if there’s not enough supply to meet demand, let them wait and yearn to get a piece of the next batch because we will NOT compromise quality to increase production,” and that served them well for some 60 years.

Two years after Jr. takes over, “We’re watering it down.”

I hate successful people’s children.

3. Brie
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 06:58:28

“April 2012: Matt proposed at Crystal Cove”

I bet that couple is into Japanese bondage ;-)

4. hapax
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 09:46:06

As a librarian, that image did make my heart go pit-a-pat; but whatever you do, DO NOT READ THE COMMENTS AT REDDIT*. Not unless you want heart palpitations of an entirely different nature.

*Actually, “do not read the comments” is pretty much good advice for Teh Internet in general. Except here, of course, where they’re sometimes the best part!

5. jane
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 09:49:14

@hapax: Yes, the comments are a minefield over there but I felt I couldn’t post the image without linking to the actual site where I found the image.

6. carmen webster buxton
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 14:54:46

As a former librarian from an era when cards were actually used to check out books, I find the save-the-date card not only sweet but nostalgic. I wonder if their kids will even know what it’s supposed to look like if they find it in a scrapbook 20 years from now. The first time my son saw a typewriter he said “Why doesn’t that PC have a monitor?”

p.s. There is nothing more likely to make me read comments than someone warning me not to read the comments. :)

7. Fiona McGier
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 18:14:25

@Ren:

Yeah, rich people’s kids are the ultimate examples of the “entitlement” mind-set so prevalent these days. Everything has been handed to them–to paraphrase Vonnegut in “Cat’s Cradle”, they were born on the banks of the money river and they’ve been taking slurping lessons ever since so they can drink more. The rest of us don’t even know where the river is!

8. jessP
    Feb 16, 2013 @ 00:49:07

@Ren:

Thanks for that clarification/history. I always understood that Makers Mark is a premium brand of bourbon. Watering it down to meet demand, rather than ramping up capacity or price, just makes no sense to me. And then announcing that’s what you’re doing? Good luck with that.