Wednesday News: Kobo introduces new slate of ereaders; B&N retail chief...

Before Miley, the internet was bemoaning Ben Affleck being chosen as the actor to play Batman in the next Superman movie.  Someone even mocked up this picture:

Batman Robin

But, then, some talented person on the internet made this fake trailer to show how Ben Affleck could be Batman.  I think Bryan Cranston as Lex Luthor is inspired.  I hope it’s not too dark for me to take the tot to.

The relaunched Kobo HD is thinner, lighter and has a smaller bezel but a higher price tag.  For the front lit beauty, you’ll pay $150, a $50 premium over Nook Glo and Kindle Paperwhite.  The Kobo HD devices run $400 for the larger 10″ tablet and the 7″ for $150 and up. I’m not sure why they are pricing the Kobo 7″ tablet at the same price as the Kobo eInk (called Aura) and maybe the prices will be updated today.

The Kobo ARC 10HD has a micro HDMI port and Miracast support for streaming content to the TV.  The screen is 2560 x 1600 pixels. The current Kindle Fire has 1920 x 1200 pixels at $299.

1. jmc
    Aug 28, 2013 @ 07:23:38

It looks like several other executives sold shares at the same time, all following the announcement of the quarterly results, although in much smaller quantities than Klipper. Actually, it looks like Klipper still has a larger position in B&N than any of the other selling execs (including the CFO) by a very large margin. According to historical filings, Klipper has been selling off for the last couple of years, although not in such large amounts. No mention of tax planning or a 10b5-1 plan anywhere. Seems like bad news for shareholders and customers.

2. Christine
    Aug 28, 2013 @ 08:08:45

I’ve never understood where the disdain for Ben Affleck came from. He’s proven himself to be a very able director as well as actor. I’ve always preferred him to Matt Damon as I feel he has a much greater range. Matt Damon always seems like he’s playing the same part to me. I think Ben Affleck will do very well as Batman. I thought he was fantastic in “The Town” playing a pretty gritty role very believably.

3. Isobel Carr
    Aug 28, 2013 @ 09:39:51

@Christine: Interesting. I feel exactly the opposite. Damon frequently surprises me (he was so different in the Bourne series as opposed to the Ocean’s series or stuff like We Bought a Zoo), whereas Affleck (who is by no means a bad actor) is always Affleck. Frankly, I think Affleck is a much better (more interesting) director than he is an actor.

4. leslie
    Aug 28, 2013 @ 10:37:27

@Christine: I like Ben Affleck. His films as an actor/director are excellent. When he was snubbed by the Academy for best director the whole town was buzzing. People were pissed, so when Argo pretty much swept the Oscars we cheered. I haven’t seen the new Superman…..my boys didn’t like it, but we would go see the sequel with Ben as Batman. He lives nearby with his family and we them often. He is always smiling with his kids……seems like a good daddy.
    @Isobel Carr: Matt Damon is super! He is probably the most versatile actor of his generation. I loved the Bourne Identity with Matt and Franka……terrific action adventure film. The stuff with Sarah Silverman and Jimmy Kimmel is hilarious.

The mock up Batman and Robin is so silly. Something Affleck and Damon would absolutely approve of….with their weird sense of humors.

5. CK
    Aug 28, 2013 @ 12:59:02

I don’t like Affleck as Bat/Bruce but I felt bad for him because I didn’t think he deserved the vitriol. (I’m sure he’ll be fine just like Anne Hathaway was ‘not horrible’ as Catwoman.) The problem is that he’s a very polarizing choice since some of us have long memories *cough Daredevil *cough and there are several other choices that fans think personify ‘their’ Batman better. I liked Man of Steel (despite its numerous issues) and I have to say for the first time ever, I’m rooting for Superman ;)

6. txvoodoo
    Aug 28, 2013 @ 15:55:12

Well, I like both Affleck and Damon! I’ll be interested to see Affleck’s take on Batman.

7. Carolyn
    Aug 28, 2013 @ 19:44:35

Each time I go to B&N, I see a bunch of people sitting around reading books and magazines, and hardly anyone actually buying anything. The last time I actually picked up a book to buy there, I had to put it back on the shelf because not only had it been obviously read (it was a PB) it had a coffee stain on the inside cover. Paying new book prices for a used book? Not gonna happen.