Wednesday News: Is the long tail driven by quality or quantity;...

I have to apologize for not posting any news yesterday. I went to bed early and just forgot!

One company named as a partner in Microsoft’s announcement on Wednesday, MediaBrix, says it offers “proprietary emotional targeting” to “reach game players at natural, critical points in game play where they are most receptive to brand messages.” “There is going to be an economic incentive to find out when people are most impulsive and vulnerable,” said Ryan Calo, assistant professor at the University of Washington School of Law.”WSJ.com

What’s interesting about this is that there are specific laws that cover door to door sales to prevent individuals being taken advantage of, primarily elderly and lower income individuals who are more vulnerable to these types of appeals. I was involved in a lawsuit concerning credit card sign-ups that would occur after completing banking business. We use this door to door sales rules to modify conduct of these telemarketers. It will be interesting to see if there’ll be any type of legislation that will be designed to protect consumers from what could be very predatory advertising practices.

Amazon is a classic fixed cost business model, it uses the internet to get maximum leverage out of its fixed assets, and once it achieves enough volume of sales, the sum total of profits from all those sales exceed its fixed cost base, and it turns a profit. It already has exceeded this hurdle in its past.

***

But “flipping a switch” is the wrong analogy because Amazon’s core business model does generate a profit with most every transaction at its current price level. The reason it isn’t showing a profit is because it’s undertaken a massive investment to support an even larger sales base. How does Amazon turn a profit? Not by flipping a switch but by waiting, once again, until its transaction volume grows and income exceeds its fixed cost base again.

Anyway, read the whole thing. It’s interesting.

1. DS
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 05:57:30

My sketchbook list is about 10 including one I don’t remember buying at all. However I can get the lot for less than $20 so I think I will.

2. fairyfreak
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 07:01:02

Make sure you look for the “show more” button on sketchbook. It starts with only showing 10, but I actually had 32 after hitting the button a couple of times.

3. Carolyne
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 07:04:49

My matchbook list is 4 titles, priced at $2.99, nothing purchased less than ten years ago. I don’t remember buying any of them from Amazon–two of them, a nonfiction and a memoir, say I bought them 15 years ago–and maaaaybe the two Johanna Lindsey books listed as having been bought thirteen years ago may have been bought used more recently than that. In any case, I guess I’ll wait and see if anything useful ever shows up on the list.

4. Mel
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 08:04:27

Zero Matchbook titles. But I didn’t expect any. Except for my three favorite authors I gave up buying paper fiction in 1999 so I was pretty sure I didn’t have anything to match.

5. Amanda
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 08:55:21

I have 16 on my list but I know where I have the ones I regularly reread on the list, so I just don’t feel the need to get them in Kindle form just yet

6. RowanS
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 09:48:52

Hi, my name is Rowan and apparently I’m an Amazon addict. 34 matchbook titles. And most of them I wonder why in hell I bought them in the first place…

7. Sirius
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 10:20:25

30 titles matched (mostly m/m), but in my defense most of them I bought three – four years ago – almost not buying any paperbacks now :).

8. Charlotte Russell
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 11:39:27

The Matchbook thing made me laugh. I had 6 titles–3 I gave as gifts, 2 were historical romances, and the last one was a puberty book I had bought for my son:-)

9. Susan
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 13:35:53

Cough. I quit hitting the “show more” button after a couple of hundred titles. The prices seem to range from between $.99 to $2.99. I actually discovered this when I went to check out a book on someone’s list of favorite heroes from yesterday’s post–the book in question was a match book for me and I bought it.

I’d love to replace as many of my paper books as possible–for obvious reasons–so this feature is great for me. I also love the auto-rip feature for cd’s.

10. Cleo C.
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 15:40:39

Peeping out from the lurking cubbyhole to confess to having 384 titles on the Kindle matchbook, including every Georgette Heyer, historical and mystery, and every Terry Pratchett. What a temptation!

11. txvoodoo
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 17:10:54

My matchbook list is HUNDREDS. I’ve been with Amazon since it started, and I bought lots of books. LOTS. I will be slowly availing myself to titles!

12. Eliza Evans
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 17:12:33

I was a little cranky that I only had 11 Matchbook titles and of those maybe one or two that I would buy. I went almost all digital in 2010 or so, but before that I purchased a lot in paper. Hopefully as more publishers come online I’ll have more to choose from. I actually really like replacing my well-loved paperbacks with kindle versions and often do when books go on sale, like when there was that big sale on Sherry Thomas’s romances a while back.