Wednesday News: Google wins again; 3d printer saves duck; Taste receptors...

Prof. Grimmelman believes that this signals the likelihood that the Second Circuit believes Google will win the fair use defense. Indeed, the court wrote that the fair use question could “perhaps moot our analysis of many class certification issues.” Publishers Weekly

3D printing has some marvelous uses. Thanks Amy for the link.USA Today

(I was a long time DirecTV subscriber so my hate is legitimately earned.)Quartz

To paraphrase Nietzsche, when you sniff the abyss, the abyss sniffs you back.

1. Angela
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 06:54:56

Damn it. I was going to cancel my Dish subscription at the end of my contract (end of this year!) and go with Hulu (already have Amazon Prime, and Netflix Instant Streaming). So tired of satellite providers, the insane prices, and the crap service. I’ve had both Dish and DirecTV for quite a while (cable’s not much better by me, but it’s not even available at my house) and they both suck.

2. Isobel Carr
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 08:21:18

Huzzah for 3D printig!!! That video was just the perfect way to start my day.

My interet is such crap that I can’t stream anything really, but I really like DirecTV (hated Comcast with every fiber of my being though). It’s expensive, but they all are at this point.

3. Lindsay
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 08:29:15

Jane, your Nietzsche cracks me up.

The 3D Printer duck video made my day! They recently showed another one where a bald eagle shot in the face by a hunter was given a 3D-printed beak and was able to eat and preen again, it was amazing. I think it’s incredible what we can already do with them for animals, and it’s just a matter of time until we see serious human trials.

Unseriously, however, a “3D MAKER” summer camp started up across the street and I desperately hope it takes off, and that they’ll have after-work stuff for adults to play with too. MakerBots are still a bit too pricey as a toy, but it’s a toy that makes MORE toys, or that widget you really need but lost, or an allen key, or tinker toy/lego adaptors, or…

4. LeeF
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 08:29:56

We finally cut the cord with Direct TV and only watch shows/videos on the internet. We have very much enjoyed our Hulu subscription and would be very bummed if DirectTV bought it and ruined a good thing.

5. Sandy James
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 08:44:00

There was a story on the local news about the duck with the new leg literally a minute before I opened up Dear Author. He gets around very well on his new prosthetic foot! What a great use of a 3D printer! Considering all the cruelty in this world, stories like this make me happy!

6. leslie
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 09:11:04

@Jane: My husband hates DirecTV with a passion! I think I’ll wait to tell him about the Hulu deal.
    The duck video is really great!
    Have a happy 4th of July!

7. Isobel Carr
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 10:43:26

@Lindsay: They’re already looking at what they can do with humans. This article about growing ears is fascinating:

8. hapax
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 13:56:46

Nietzsche is pietzsche!

Although, crass as I am, I might have gone for the near-homonym: “When you lick into the abyss…”

9. Wahoo Suze
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 20:02:54

In Soviet Russia, balls lick YOU.

10. Joy B
    Jul 08, 2013 @ 17:28:55

I’m a little concerned about the future of streaming – and that things can disappear without warning based on new deals. I had a nice backlog of New Girl on Hulu with no expiration date and I come back from vacation to learn that Netflix now has exclusive rights to New Girl and the eps were immediately pulled from Hulu (although the 5 most recent eps will be available for a limited time when the new season starts).