Wednesday News: Google to launch Spotify competitor; Canadian writer’s union struggles...

When Google rolls out the new services tomorrow at I/O, it will mean that it gets the jump on Apple, which is also trying to launch a new streaming-music service. According to reports, Google’s subscription services would resemble Spotify, and offer on-demand songs that would be streamed to their PCs and mobile devices. In contrast, Apple is working on an online radio service that is said to be more akin to Pandora, the top webcaster. The Verge

One line item was “editor” to which many comments said “pshaw.” Take, for instance, ABeth who wrote

You know what? There are exceptions. Some people have great beta-readers who do that job. Some people can actually self-edit. Some people get both excellent beta-readers and can self-edit pretty darn well. So no, it’s not necessarily going to show. (And even when it does? Dalglish was probably making punctuation errors all the way to the bank. Hocking used her money to buy editing, if I recall the lore correctly.)

So yeah, the TWUC’s quandary is who to allow in and how to measure the quality of that author. My guess is that organizations will have to base it on a non subjective metric.  Money.  MobyLives

As a fairly private person I can tell you that I find this tremendously disturbing. In many states you aren’t allowed to record someone, either in person or on the telephone without permission. Laws will have to be revised to address these issues.

“But as with many digital innovations, there are inevitable concerns. In the consumer market, the heir apparent to Google Glass is contact lenses discreetly capable of filming and recording everything you see on-demand. Hands-free wearable cameras, like the Autographer from Oxford-based OMG, are also under development. Privacy regulators are hiding beneath their beds.”City AM

rowling

1. sarah mayberry
    May 15, 2013 @ 04:22:20

Thanks so much for that link to writers’ outlines. Absolutely fascinating! I have started using index cards to plot for the last couple of books. It’s supposed to make it easier to move scenes around, etc. I don’t think I’ve ever shifted a scene, though, since most of my stories are pretty linear and sequential – something leads to something leads to something else. But I really enjoy playing with stationery at my coffee table, and that’s a huge bonus.

2. Angela
    May 15, 2013 @ 06:03:30

I’m still so, so mad at Apple for killing Lala. I wish something like that would exist again. Pay 10c to listen to it as much as you want streaming, ability to buy directly thereafter, and keep all your playlists online. You could even “match” the music you have on your computer to lala, so that all your music was available online. No commercials, no worries, social with friends (see what they’re listening to/discover new music).

Everything else just sucks in comparison.

On a different note – the handwritten outlines are awesome!

3. jmc
    May 15, 2013 @ 07:46:30

Loved the writers’ outlines.

On TWUC survey and self-published authors who discount the need for editing: those authors are the equivalent of lawyers who represent themselves rather than get counsel — they have fools for clients. I don’t care how brilliant a writer (or lawyer) one may be, some things require perspective, including editing (and legal representation).

4. Maria M.
    May 15, 2013 @ 11:15:44

I am not so sure about the editing requirement. Here the argument is clearly used to keep out the competition. I feel that the result should speak for itself, whoever edited a text. Some writers may be capable of doing it adequately, or just work with a proof-reader, and some badly edited texts will still be more interesting and original than the more conventional edited text. Yes, other things being equal everything should be professionally edited, but these publishers and editors have only themselves to blame if they are gradually becoming irrelevant in their elitist stance; the tide against them is unstoppable.

May 15, 2013 @ 11:18:25

@Maria M.: How is editing keeping anyone out? Seriously. As a reader, wanting a well edited book does not make me an elitist. Nor is the existence of editors an “elitist stance.” And I hope the tide against editors is not “unstoppable.” Editing is an important and vital part of the publishing process.

6. MrsJoseph
    May 15, 2013 @ 11:37:34

@Maria M.: It makes me sad to see “elitist” in the same sentence with “edit.”

Call me an elitist! I want professionally edited books to read! This is why I’ve slowed my SPA reading down to a crawl. Who wants to wade through that quagmire? Every time I think the Self-Published Ocean may be safe to swim again…I run into crap like this and hop my elitist ass back in to the Traditionally Published Seas.

7. Angela
    May 15, 2013 @ 11:56:00

@MrsJoseph:

It makes me sad to see “elitist” in the same sentence with “edit.”

This.

If it’s elitist to want a well/professionally edited book, then I’ll take that name. Not only does editing catch important grammar, writing and consistency issues, but there’s the overall value a good editor adds to a story. I think a lot of people don’t realize what a good editor does for a story. Often when I see a book that’s captivating and un-edited, I just weep for what it could have been with an editor. IOW: What Jane said: “Editing is an important and vital part of the publishing process.”

8. Anthea Lawson
    May 15, 2013 @ 17:57:44

re: editing…

Being published by a traditional NY publishing is actually *no guarantee* that the work will be edited – at least by a content editor. There are a few houses/lines that are notorious for publishing accepted manuscripts ‘as is’ with only light copy edits.

And yet! I know of at least two of those titles that went on to garner RITA nominations for best first book. Were these writers (who had self-edited/used critique partners) deluded as to the quality of their books?

YES I wholeheartedly agree that copyediting/proofing/grammar gurus are an important step for *any* publishing author.

But I have to say, my self-published titles get more and better feedback before being published than my NY titles ever did.

9. Andrea
    May 15, 2013 @ 18:05:28

I believe that copy-editing is important (typos should be eliminated), and that structural editing _can_ improve a book. But I’m also aware things like this happen:

I hate being edited, because my second draft is as careful as I can get it. I try to get it absolutely mistake-free, and absolutely as I feel the book needs to be. Then some editor comes along and says, ‘Change Chapter Eight to Chapter Five, take a huge lump out of Chapter Nine, and let’s cut Chapter One altogether.’ And you think, No, I’m going to hit the ceiling any moment. Then I call for my agent before I get my hands round this person’s throat.

Editors were very majestic in the days when I first started writing. There was one who got hold of The Ogre Downstairs, and rewrote the ending entirely in her own purple prose, which was not in the least like mine, and I decided I was going to change publishers. ‘No, no, no,’ said my agent. ‘You mustn’t do that. Carry on and see if you can manage to persuade her.’ And of course I couldn’t persuade her. And then Charmed Life: I know by the time I’d done the second draft it was absolutely perfect, it really, really was, I mean just as it is at this moment, you know. And this woman rang me up and wrote to me and told me exactly this sort of thing: ‘You must take out this chunk and that chunk and rewrite this and alter that,’ and I was furious. And I thought surely we can do something about this. And thank God it was the days before computers. I said, ‘Send me the typescript back and I’ll see what I can do.’ So she did, and I cut out the bits she told me to alter, in irregular jagged shapes, then stuck them back in exactly the same place with Sellotape, only crooked, so it looked as if I’d taken pieces out and put new pieces in. And then I sent it back to her, and she rang up and said, ‘Oh, your alterations have made such a difference.’ And I thought, ‘Right! Hereafter I will take no notice of anybody who tries to edit my books.’ And I don’t, I make a frightful fuss if anybody tries to, now. – Reflections on the Magic of Writing, Diana Wynne Jones.

Editing is quite a complex topic, and a problem not confined to the self-publishing world. It’s a foolish self-publisher who puts out a book riddled with basic spelling and grammar errors, but I won’t forget one semi-major (trade published) SF writer posting on his blog for people to email him with the errors they’ve spotted in the hardback copy of one of his works, because the ebook is about to come out.