Wednesday News: George RR Martin wants to create even more evil...

Walt does bad things in such an arresting fashion that George RR Martin has declared he wants to create a more evil character. I don’t know if George has forgotten his own work or what. [insert grimace emoticon]. Hypable

Here’s the Nook warning:

• If you rotate the screen while reading, it may cause the page to render incorrectly or may cause the app to crash. To prevent this, we suggest locking the rotation while reading.Click here for iPad instructions and here for iPhone instructions.
  • If you sign out of your app and then sign in again, the app may crash or you may have trouble accessing your Library.

Jagged Kristen Ashley

1. Patricia Eimer
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 07:11:49

I love Bitten. Can’t wait to see it on SYFY.

2. Tina
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 08:10:50

George RR Martin already has really evil characters. But as much as I like his series, what he doesn’t have are compellingly complex characters like Walter White. A character who has gone from pitiable everyman to (briefly) hero to anti-hero to villain by degrees. WW is the type of character that people want to write long ass essays about, dissecting the hubris, arrogance, lies and rationalizations that bump up against his relatable worries about his family’s future.

So if he is just going for creating the evil to try to capture something of what makes WW so compelling, he will fail miserably. That isn’t the part that keeps people talking about Walter.

And yeah, after the last two eps of Breaking Bad I had to walk it off. Watching BB sometimes feel like a full contact sport. You are exhausted afterward … yet exhilarated.

3. Christine
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 08:39:32

@Tina: who said “But as much as I like his series, what he doesn’t have are compellingly complex characters like Walter White.”
    I’d say George RR has very complex characters such as Jamie Lannister, Jon Snow etc. They have both gone up and down the good scale. Tyrion is another good example as is Catlynn who have each done some awful things. Ned was the only hero who was 100% heroic- and even that was a flaw in its own way as his code and single minded way of being really put his family in danger.

4. SAo
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 10:27:21

The only reason Apple wants to inconvenience people into standing in lines is to use those lines as advertising and hype. I hope people have more sense than to buy into it.

5. Andrea
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 11:18:06

Justin was a really nice blogger, and I think a lot of us do sympathize with him. I can’t imagine blogging as a college student.

I am so fraking excited for Jagged. I very rarely request books, but I’ll be stalking NetGalley daily in hopes they put it up.

6. Karenmc
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 12:13:41

I wasn’t interested in getting the new iPhone 5s until I found out I could sell my 4s for more than I originally paid for it. Therefore, sometime in the next week or so I’ll be one of those sheeple trying to get my hands on a new Apple product (the offer for my old phone is only locked in until Oct. 16th).

7. P. Kirby
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 17:47:21

I’m of the theory that Martin has lost his writing mojo with GOT/Song of Ice and Fire and written himself into so many plot thread knots that he’s lost interest altogether. At the rate he’s going, the television series’ writers are going to have to finish the story for him.

I live in the Albuquerque area, where everyone is Breaking Bad obsessed. It’s like all Breaking Bad, all the time. Hee. And yet I’ve never watched the show. Guess I need to do the Netflix thing and address that issue, pronto.

8. Brigid
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 23:09:56

Did you hear about Rainbow Rowell’s book Eleanor & Park being banned?