Wednesday News: Eink device sales down; Researcher suggests former slave turned...

Bass Reeves

After his conversation with Shoeboot, Burton became obsessed with finding out everything he could about the mysterious lawman. He knew Bass Reeves had killed 14 men during his career and captured 3,000 felons — once bringing in 17 men at once. Burton says he first set out to disprove some of the overly dramatic stories about Reeves but each time came across information that seemed to back them up.

And could shoot an outlaw in the neck from a quarter mile away. National Post

The results showed that the 3.7 percentage point increase in male unemployment during the time caused a decline in the incidence of domestic abuse by 12 percent. Meanwhile, the 3 percentage point increase in female unemployment increased domestic violence by 10 percent. The correlation held for all kinds of abuse, but it was stronger for physical violence.

Though it’s not proven, the theory that Jonathan Wadsworth, a University of London economist and study co-author, suggested to explain the phenomenon is that when male unemployment in an area is high, more men — having either lost their jobs or fearing job loss — are likely to try to stick with their partners in order to ensure some semblance of income stability. And to keep their partners from leaving them, those that have abusive tendencies are more likely to abstain from violent behavior. Meanwhile, when female unemployment is high, women might similarly be less likely to leave men who are predisposed to abuse, and so reports of domestic violence would rise.” Olga Khazan – The Atlantic

1. Rosario
    Aug 07, 2013 @ 05:41:35

I’m currently planning to stick with my 4-year-old Kindle keyboard for as long as it works, but if a colour e-ink device came out, that might actually tempt me to upgrade.

The study on male unemployment and domestic violence is fascinating. See, those people who think social research is pointless and only tells you what everyone already knows? Not so.

2. Carolyne
    Aug 07, 2013 @ 07:25:23

Bad News For Outlaws is a great recent book for young readers about Bass Reeves from Carolrhoda Books. I’ve always loved the title. Alas, it’s only 40 pages long or so :)

3. Ana
    Aug 07, 2013 @ 07:41:04

I second @Carolyne ‘s recommendation of Bad News for Outlaws, read it to my 2-5th graders last school year, and ever single one was riveted by his story. Great conversations about Slavery, law enforcement and the presence and history of Africans Americans in the Old West. The book has great appendices with lots of material for students who want to learn more about him and the time period.

4. JJPP
    Aug 07, 2013 @ 08:27:29

That is a handsome man. And THAT is a serious moustache.

5. Darlynne
    Aug 07, 2013 @ 09:55:56

I would have said, if asked, that domestic violence increases when male unemployment rises. Glad to see I’m wrong.

6. Willaful
    Aug 07, 2013 @ 12:38:31

I hope we’re not going to lose our dedicated ereaders! I have no interest at all in reading ebooks on a tablet.

7. Jenny
    Aug 07, 2013 @ 15:29:12

I love my dedicated ereader and would be sorely disappointed if they went away. This year I went from my basic $79 Kindle (which I passed on to my mom) and moved up to the Kindle Paperwhite which I love.

8. MaryK
    Aug 07, 2013 @ 15:47:20

I’m not sure how he could’ve been in disguise with that moustache. Maybe that picture was taken during a slow period. The linked article cites another book about him – Black Gun, Silver Star.

9. Kris Bock
    Aug 12, 2013 @ 10:31:52

A friend of mine, Vaunda Micheaux Nelson, wrote a children’s nonfiction book called Bad News for Outlaws: The Remarkable Life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U. S. Marshal. It’s won a number of awards and is definitely worth a read!

10. Jinni
    Aug 27, 2013 @ 19:40:22

I’d heard that domestic violence can go down when UE rises because women leave. I’d read that men (without money/jobs/resources) in this economic climate were having a helluva time finding women.