Wednesday News: B&N and Amazon moving toward virtual money; Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...

kareem abdul jabbar

….

All right. Are you guys done laughing your heads off? Not quite? I’ll give you a few more minutes. [insert jeopardy theme here]

Bookish’s front page looks like it is designed to attract the mainstream literary fiction crowd. The romance section has an article that suggests books akin to 50 Shades. Three of the six aren’t romances. The good thing about Bookish is that if you don’t like the editorial content, do not worry. None of the people who wrote that stuff (including me) are writing stuff for them currently. It can only go up from here. Mike Cane’s xBlog

1. library addict
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 07:18:19

Sorry still laughing.

2. CG
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 07:32:38

I seriously <3 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Why am I not linking to Bookish? Because according to its terms of service, if I say anything disparaging about them, I will be violating their terms of service and they may block me from linking to them

/Snort/ Sounds like an invitation to me.

3. Lynnd
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 08:19:59

Re Bookish: I can’t wait to see how they’re going to extricate themselves from this one. I’m sure that the sound of many voices laughing at them is not what they were trying to achieve… Getting popcorn.

4. Isobel Carr
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 09:29:05

So the brilliant minds behind Bookish have failed to grasp that LINKS are the lifeblood of the internet and discoverability? I wish I could say I was surprised.

5. Jackie Barbosa
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 12:11:12

Almost as brilliant as Bookish’s TOS is the fact that I can buy ebooks from their site, but apparently, I cannot read them until they finish coding their Bookish app for me to install on my Android or iDevice. Do the words “epic” and “fail” mean anything to these people?

6. cleo
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 12:37:58

The Bookish thing is hilarious. I did enjoy your article on Scottish romance, and I thought Elizabeth Gilbert’s article on writing was fun. The rest of the articles seemed pretty light. And, thanks to DA, I know that it’s just smoke and mirrors.

7. Ann Somerville
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 18:28:12

Is Bookish related to this Booki.sh site:

Frankly it’s a lot prettier than the one Mike Cane links to.

The whole “don’t link to me” crap sounds like Rupert Murdoch and his raging at Google for, er, using his publicly available feed. He had to back down on that position. Wonder why.

8. Susan
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 20:27:50

OK, I’m slightly ashamed of myself now. Not knowing anything about him off the court, I would have also made some dumb jock assumptions about KAJ.

9. Anne V
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 11:05:25

@Ann Somerville: I don’t think so. booki.sh is an overdrive thing. it’s prettier, but my understanding is that it’s kludgy to use.

10. Jami Gold
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 14:18:45

I checked out the Bookish site, and I’ll be honest: I wasn’t impressed.

They seem to have about 20 romance books in their database. So no matter what book I entered into their “recommendation engine,” they kept suggested the same ones, with no thought to subgenre, etc. Secondly, when they can’t even have the full catalog of big name authors (and from what I can tell, the missing books aren’t out of print either), what’s the point?

I’ll probably never go back again. There’s nothing there I can’t find 1000 times better at Goodreads.