Wednesday News: Amazon’s making bank on shorts; B&N sales are in...

“In the conference call, Mike Huseby, president of Barnes & Noble Inc. and CEO of Nook Media, said the company will look for further ways to “rationalize” the Nook business, but said the priority for the holiday season is to continue to sell its device inventory (including HD and HD+ devices) and to “reverse” the decline in content sales. Huseby said B&N is well aware that it needs to stay in the hardware business if it wants to grow its content business. He said after the holidays, B&N will determine its next steps in the device field, although he stressed that the company ‘is in the device business to stay.’”Publisher’s Weekly

The two big reasons for preferring print are value for money and an emotional connection to physical books. On questions of ebook pricing, 28% think that ebooks should be half their current price, while just 8% say that ebook pricing is right. The top-rated reasons for preferring physical to digital products were: “I like to hold the product” (51%), “I am not restricted to a particular device” (20%), “I can easily share it” (10%), “I like the packaging” (9%), and “I can sell it when used” (6%). “

1. Rosie
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 05:32:22

Have you ever seen the YA “booktube” community on YouTube? Young people show off the books they’ve bought — with hardcovers being the most prized — in book haul videos and book shelf tours. Very few ebooks are ever mentioned on booktube.
    The first time I stumbled onto those videos, I was surprised at the worshipping of the print book by so many young people. You would think they’d all be all about the latest gadgets and reading on their phones. Or at least I would think — and I was surprised.

2. Jo
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 07:48:35

I just asked my daughter, who is 17, what she prefers and would you believe she said ereader. Apparently she reads quicker with the reader*shrugs* that’s her reason :)

3. Renda
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 07:55:14

My 14-y-0 daughter prefers paper. She and her friends trade them back and forth. She likes a stack by her bed. We travel 1.5 hours away for a mega USB two times a year. She has three devices she can read on. If she has a favorite in paper form, she will use her money to buy an e copy. Yep, paper. And she is really into the You Tube community. She has run into E. Lizzie Books twice in the past six months and that has made her very happy.

4. Juliana Stone
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 08:22:15

I bought my daughter an ereader last year thinking she would embrace it as much as I did, but she surprised me. She still loves paperbacks and though it costs a small fortune to feed her reading habit, for me, it’s money well spent!!

5. Sally W.
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 09:36:31

My son has told me numerous times that it is only “older” people that prefer ebooks and he is in his early 20′s. Maybe he does know what he is talking about!

6. Renda
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 10:54:57

Told my daughter about this info. She agrees. Only one friend prefers e reader and she is “obsessively” neat and likes not having books piled everywhere.

But my daughter also asked if anyone has a child with a tumblr on books or YouTube channel on books that you share the info. She is constantly looking for such.

7. Juliana Stone
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 11:56:22

@Renda: My kids on tumbler a lot I’ll ask if she knows of anyone yours can follow. If so I’ll report back!

8. txvoodoo
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 15:30:23

I wonder if people transition to e-readers as they acquire more daily baggage in their lives – literally. More things to carry, such as bags for work, or kids. And less space to store books in their homes. Add in the practicality of e-readers as you age, with their adjustable fonts, etc, and it seems like they’re idea for a slightly older demographic.

9. Brigid
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 00:49:22

@Rosie:
    while I understand your cynicism about teens ‘showing off their paper books’. Does it really matter whether they prefer print to ebooks? I mean lets not takes sides here. But, I feel that your comment was a little presumptuous. Maybe, I misinterpreted your comment?

10. Rosie
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 07:41:35

You definitely misinterpreted my comment. I didn’t intend to criticize at all. I was only surprised by their preference. I actually really enjoy watching book haul videos and seeing young people excited about reading. No judgment or cynicism here! Only surprise.

11. Estara Swanberg
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 08:25:00

@txvoodoo: I agree ^^

12. Willaful
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 12:19:27

My son used to scoff at my ereaders, and ebooks are definitely not “real” to him. He does a lot of reading on his tablet now though — Calvin and Hobbes fanfic is a fav — so it perhaps a little less militant. Still, he likes print, especially hardcover.

13. Brigid
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 13:01:20

@Rosie:
    Oh, ok. Sorry, I didn’t mean to misinterpret your comment. I guess the way it was worded was the reason I thought you were criticizing.