Wednesday Midday News: Nookcolor

I will be buying a NOOKColor before the end of the year

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Barnes and Noble invited press to view its newest edition to the Nook family. The NOOKcolor is a tablet like reader that runs on the Android operating platform. The tablet has an IPS screen which is similar to the iPad and is capacitive, again like the iPad and iTouch/iPhone. Where it differs is internally. BN hasn’t given the internal specs yet, but it has 8 hours of reading time IF the wifi is turned off. The internal memory is 8 GB of space with an external memory slot. This means that your movies, if the nook can sufficiently power video, will likely have to be stored on a remote memory cards. There is wifi but no 3G. Even though it is built on the Android platform, this is not an Android tablet with access to the Android App store. Instead, you will be allowed only to use apps available through the not yet up and running BN Nook App store.

The screen is 7″ and the device weighs just shy of one pound. At $249.00, it is half the price of the low end iPad and $100 more than the low end nook/Kindle. I’m curious about this but unsure who the market is. A color reader? A crippled Android tablet?   The price point seems high if you are trying to get parents to buy it for their kids because the device itself is really a single use device – reading. This move by BN is also curious given that Android tablet PCs will be announced by the bucketful between now and January 2011. Case in point is today’s ACER presser which shows off the to-be-produced slate of ACER tablets with price points of $299 to $699.

*****

Susan K gave me a heads up that rumors are a floating around the internets that Apple is interested in buying Sony.   Apple has billions (yes, billions) of dollars of cash on hand, but to buy Sony?   The gaming platform might interest them but the computing part? The music part?   Maybe it is the content making part of Sony that Apple is interested in.   After all, wouldn’t it be great for Jobs if he didn’t have to deal with record labels (or publishers)?   (This is a facetious and rhetorical question).

*****

Lenin Library

Someone on Twitter put up the link to this gorgeous state library in Lenin.   It’s very very grand.

******

The NY Post has a feature on the latest cover model du jour and it is not the guy from Jaci Burton’s Perfect Play but rather one Timothy Adams.

New York's newest Fabio has ravished the covers of more than 100 romance novels in the past seven years. The Jersey-born, East Village-dwelling hunk's scorching body of work includes "My Immortal Assassin," "Sins of the Highlander," "Welcome Home, Cowboy," "Caressed by Ice" and that literary classic, "Unfinished Business with the Duke." Adams ticks off his titillating roles: "I've been a gladiator, a cowboy, a dad, a tycoon, sometimes shirtless, sometimes with costumes, sometimes with women in a clinch."

My response? I don’t recognize him with his head or shirt on even though Sarah Wendell of Smart Bitches (who is quoted in the article) says that his head actually appears on the covers.

*****

In an interesting divergence of opinion and practice, Carina Press is going DRM Free on digital galleys at NetGalley and Ellora’s Cave is not sending out review copies until after the book is published.   Ellora’s Cave is instituting this new policy in hopes of cutting down piracy. I guess reviewers are, according to EC, responsible for piracy? I’m pretty sure that EC isn’t going to reduce piracy with this measure, but it will likely reduce exposure of its publications. We don’t receive review copies from Ellora’s Cave so I don’t have the text of the memo that went out to reviewers.

1. Sheryl Nantus
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:29:40

I bought one of the original Nooks back in April and don’t regret it a bit.

I’m not interested in a LCD color reader because I *have* a laptop for me to use if I want to read in color. The Nook works just fine as an e-ink reader which doesn’t strain my eyes.

*But* I do see the business sense here. A few days ago a news article made the rounds about how parents were using their iPhone to entertain their children… so it’s not a big leap of logic for them to go for the NookColor and take advantage of the interactive kids books that B&N are prepping for release. I looked at the demo on the website and it was darned cute!

B&N already has a good portion of their stores dedicated to childrens’ books – this just extends it a bit further with the push for parents to come to the store with their Children and interact with the NookColor and the store itself. A darned smart business move because it helps the next generation get *back* into reading.

If I had kids or had relatives in that age group I’d consider buying one for Christmas.

2. sandy l
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:42:03

I would be more interested in the color nook if it was lighter and more thinner. Also, if the screen is lighted, I may not be as interested. No 3G may also lessen my interest.

I love my current nook and will probably love it more when I receive the latest update.

3. Samantha
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:44:19

I think that cover model was also on a Lora Leigh Nauti book as well. I do remember him from the Nalini Singh book.

4. Angie
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:45:03

Didn’t vote because none of the choices apply. Color vs. e-ink isn’t my issue, and I’m firmly decided that I’m not going to buy any reader device, whether color or e-ink or whatever, in the foreseeable future. [wry smile]

Angie

5. CathyKJ
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:53:27

Even moreso than the iPad, I’m having trouble figuring out what the color nookie book reader replaces. The LCD screen means I’ll keep my Kindle, and the anemic specs mean I have more storage on my iPhone. At only 8 hours with the wireless off, I’m wondering if it’ll even have enough battery life to show a full movie (regardless of if it has the software). I like the idea mentioned upstream about using it for dynamic children’s books, but that’s such a niche market that $249 for a dedicated device seems excessive.

6. ka
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:03:13

Regarding Timothy Adams, I don’t recognize him either. Per the interview, he’s 43.
    That’s worth celebrating – a male model who might be the age of the reader!

7. Angela
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:09:41

Yeah, I don’t get the nookcolor. I agree that it seems like it’d fit such a niche market that the price point is set kind of high. If I’m going to have a dedicated reading device it’s going to be eInk. I’ll stick with my Kindle, thank you.

Er. Timothy Adams huh. If you hadn’t said he was on Caressed by Ice, I wouldn’t have recognized him (I believe it’s not his full face that’s on there though).

I don’t think advance reviewers are the problem with piracy. And I totally agree that they’re probably going to reduce their exposure with this move. It seems a bit like cutting off their nose to spite their face. For all the wrong reasons.

8. Hannah
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:10:38

I voted “Yes, just what I was looking for” and have already pre-ordered, but I’d like to add that the Nookcolor will not replace my eink device (Kindle 3), it will give me an alternative ereader that’s more kid-friendly and easy to read in low lighting without having to mess with a booklight.

9. DS
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:17:33

My partner and I had actually decided to let the business buy us iPads this year for Christmas so I probably shouldn’t have voted at all. It has nothing to do with the use we will get out of the iPad (although it should be substantial)– but because it is a shiny new toy.

I just replaced my Gen 2 Kindle with a DX. I really like the larger size but it’s not as flexible when it comes to reading and holding positions. I still find myself reading from the Kindle app on my phone. I would be tempted by a color eink device.

And there was a post on Techdirt today about someone losing all the files on their Nook: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20101026/16554111596/yet-another-reminder-that-you-don-t-own-your-ebooks-b-n-nook-deletes-files-blames-user.shtml?op=sharethis

10. GrowlyCub
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:23:29

I’m confused by the Carina announcement because I downloaded a couple of their review copies after their launch several months ago and they were DRM free then already. ???

11. Moriah Jovan
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:26:10

@ka:

Regarding Timothy Adams, I don't recognize him either. Per the interview, he's 43. That's worth celebrating – a male model who might be the age of the reader!

And yay a model who’s the same age as all (but one) of my heroes!

12. Keishon
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:31:01

I’m happy with what I got and after sampling Nook, Kindle and Sony. I choose to stick with Sony. Sent Kindle back and gave the Nook to my sister. I’m done shopping around for ebook readers. Done.

Must add: $249? Really B&N? Yeah, right. It’s gonna fly off the shelves. I can just see it happening in this soft economy.

13. Ell
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:34:27

Already have a Kobo, not getting another device until it dies or I get a lot more money than I have now…

14. Mireya
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:43:55

I wouldn’t buy the nook tablet. Main reasons: I own a Pandigital Novel (the hackable white one), a Dell Axxim, and a Sony PRS 505, and well, as much as I am into gadgets, I have plenty to deal with with the DRMs and all that :P If I do buy a tablet, it will definitely be something that I can get apps for… and am not even sure about that because my cellphone contract ends in Dec and hubby and I want (you guessed it) Smartphones (sorry for the babble LOL).

The situation with EC, I can’t say I am too surprised about. For years they were automatically sending all of their new releases, many before they were actually released, to quite a number of review sites and at the very least, two publications: RR mag and JERR. Although not all reviewers are crooks, fact remains that when you start seeing unreleased titles online, they should have come from somewhere. This is a situation I recall having had to deal with with at least one other publisher when I was still associated to the erotic romance reviews publication I co-owned. They were not blaming the newsletter, but they were livid when they discovered an ARC available in a torrent or some sort of sharing site. They have taken measures to fix that, without alienating reviewers, but frankly, I do see where the electronic publishers are coming from on this regard.

15. Danielle D
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:48:27

Sorry, I still have no idea who Timothy Adams is.

I’m holding out for a 7 inch tablet that way I can download all my ebooks on it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to download the Kindle App and the Sony App (when their App comes out) on it!

16. Christine M.
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 13:03:18

Re: Timothy.
    While I don’t recognised his face, I sure do remember his abs on Caressed by Ice’s cover.

17. LVLMLeah
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 13:05:22

I want an iPad type of tablet but 6″. Why can no one make such a thing? I want it multifunctional, able to read all the major formats (even if it means I can do it with an app)and with email/surfing functionality. And costing between $150-$200.

It’s like there’s always something missing in these things.

I’m getting an iTouch for now. It’s too small, but at least with apps I can read Kindle or B&N books. Between it, my ebookwise and the DH’s old PDA I have some options. All not exactly what I want.

I’d definitely buy a smaller version of the iPad or larger version of the iTouch. I want options, not limitations.

18. MaryK
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 13:31:22

I voted “no, want e-ink” but I really want a Pixel Qi screen! :|

I have a Sony reader that I don’t use much partly because I haven’t been reading lately and partly because not being able to put all my ebooks on it nags at me. I still have some older books I haven’t been able to convert and a handful with DRM (not that I can read those anyway since I don’t remember what software they go with).

Having my books split between different devices irritates me. It’s easy to forget what you have when there’s no physical object reminding you. If all I can have is a list, I want a complete list wherever the list is.

My next “reader” is going to be something I can load any format software on AND is easy on the eyes — unless there’s a super deal on the Kindle at Christmas. As much as I hate Black Friday shopping, I’d stand in line for a cheap Kindle. :)

19. MaryK
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 13:39:36

@MaryK: Yeah, I know that’s not very logical. :)

But I have (free) books on the Kindle app that are already separate from my e-library. Being able to read them on e-ink instead of my iTouch, would be an improvement for me. And the Kindle is pretty close to my “toy” price range as it is, all it needs is a sale to push it over. I’ll still want a universal, easy on the eyes reader; but I’m going to have to wait so long for that, I might as well amuse myself in the meantime.

20. Anne Ardeur
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 15:52:20

I voted that I was holding out for e-ink, but what I *really* want is something affordable, that will let me upload (and organise) all of the different formats of ebooks I have (without the maker being able to remove books or files!), and that looks pretty.

21. mdegraffen
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 16:00:51

I bought a Nook a couple of months ago and I like it. I’m not interested in a color Nook especially at 1 lb of weight. I take mine in my purse and adding pound would be very uncomfortable. I like what I have just fine.

22. Mary D
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 18:15:01

Ugh, I hate to be one those nitpicky people, but this is not quite “state library in Lenin”. This is the Russian National Library (basically the Russian analog of the Library of Congress) in Moscow, Russia, named after Vladimir Lenin. Sort of like Kennedy Airport which is in NYC, not in Kennedy ;-)

23. brooksse
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 20:59:38

Re: Timothy Adams, I read a book a few weeks back that looked like him on the cover.

Re: Nook Color, my thoughts were that it’s basically a reading device with limited tablet functionality. But as a reading device, I’d rather stick with e-ink and really don’t need the additional features. And as a tablet, I’d prefer a full-featured tablet with access to the Android market. Including other reading apps. Plus, after seeing how buggy the Nook for Android app has been, Nook + Android tablet doesn’t sound like a winning combination for me.

24. Tae
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 22:29:19

I already have a Sony 505 and an iPad, and I would consider upgrading my Sony to a 650 or going with a Kindle this time, but not interested in the Nook

25. Jessica
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 22:44:54

I read the name Timothy Adams and didn't place him until I saw his picture. I was a huge Sunset Beach fan I watched it from beginning to end through a lot of disappointing storylines and a couple good ones. One of the reasons I watched was because of him.

He is a sweetheart in person I've met him at a charity baseball game where the cast of Sunset Beach played against the cast of Days of our lives at a local baseball field near the Burbank NBC studios. The day before the game he and actress from Days were promoting the game on KISS FM a radio station here in southern California I was so shy back then painfully so that my sister took the phone and called in to talk to him cause I didn't have the guts to do it. And he engaged her over the phone going back and forth openly flirty the DJ actually kept my sister on the line longer then anyone because they were so funny together and Timothy promised her the first picture at the game if she went.

So of course we went and we sat at the bleachers and when he came on the field the girls started yelling and hollering cause man is that man hot. But my sister in a booming voice yelled out her name and that she was the girl from the radio and he stopped walked back over to her hug her up to that point he was just waving at the crowd in the stands and told her to meet up on the side where the players were hanging out to get her picture. Once the game was over the actors were swarmed by all the women but he called out to my sister and made sure she was the first one who took a picture with him. My sister was shameless absolutely shameless she asked him for the shirt off his back as a birthday gift and he gave it to her. Women were thanking my sister as we stood to the side and just watched and got autographs from the rest of the cast.

Since we were locals we were the last to leave and he stayed with us and walked us to our car chatting with us. He made a point of talking to me and making me comfortable enough to talk because like I said back then I was painfully shy. My sister gave me the shirt which I still have. Like I said he is a sweetheart. I'd try to watch out for him and catch his guest spots in different shows but after a while I stopped watching TV hence why I didn't recognize his name. Glad to hear he doing well.

26. SonomaLass
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 23:26:26

I love my iPad. I can’t imagine getting another device right now. My sister has a Nook, which she loves; she doesn’t foresee investing in the color one either.

I have a Timothy Adams cover, on the ARC of Carolyn Jewel’s My Immortal Assassin, coming out in January. No head, but a damn fine torso.

27. Bella F.
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 00:28:14

I’m undecided about the nook color since I’ve yet to see it in person . I’d like to play with it a bit. But I’m pretty sure the original is still gonna be my choice, with the eye-friendly e-ink and little browser where I can still see the covers of the books I purchase in color. That’s probably the only thing I miss in eBooks: gorgeous color covers.
    Kindle is not a contender for me since I cant check out library eBooks on it, but I can on the nook.

28. Marcella
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 05:09:31

Beautiful library, but I think it is the Lenin State Library in Moscow, not in Lenin.

29. Shiloh Walker
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 06:57:26

I’m going to check out the cruz’s the top model before I decide. I’m not interested in an iPad although I might consider the cheaper one. Dunno…

30. Terry Odell
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 10:23:33

I don’t care about the color feature, but the new Nook has the ONE BIG FEATURE I’ve been holding out for. I want to read in bed. At night. With the lights off. I’ve been doing this for years with my dinosaur eBookwise, and it’s a feature I can’t imagine giving up.

Hubster’s looking for a reader with color because he wants to read all his scientific journals and the like on it. So I ordered mine (and I NEVER pre-order something prior to reviews) and if I don’t like it, it’ll become his and I’ll continue my search.

I’m looking forward to getting mine — I have seen the preliminary review and description of its features in PC Magazine (via Hubster) and I think I’ll like it. Which means we’re likely to end up with 2.

Terry
    Terry’s Place
    Romance with a Twist–of Mystery

DD is visiting with her iPad. It’s good, but it’s too big for an e-reader, but not really a laptop.

31. Estara
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 12:33:38

@Jessica: What a totally cute story ^^. Thanks for sharing.

32. Morgan Karpiel
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 15:10:58

RE: Timothy Adams… The article says he teaches “Dynamic Functional Flexibility” twice a week. WHAT IS THAT? Please, someone, tell me what that is. Or don’t. Let me just picture him without the shirt, flexing dynamically. I need a shower.

33. Author On Vacation
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 15:32:23

I am already a happy Nook owner, but I did pre-order the Nookcolor. I plan to use it primarily as a supplement to my Nook. Sometimes I need a backlight.

I’m not entirely happy with the Nookcolor’s battery life, and I’m also dissatisfied that the battery isn’t user replaceable. The Nook’s user-replaceable battery is the feature that stole my business from Sony.

BN also presents a more attractive layout than Sony. It sounds like a minute thing, but it does matter to me. When I open Desktop Reader, all the files display their attractive cover art. The ebooks themselves might be “stripped” or feature a publisher generic cover, but Reader Library displays the cover art. Reader Library (Sony) doesn’t do this, just displays the “stripped” front of the book, which makes it tougher to identify.

I realize it sounds shallow that something like that influences my reader choice, but it makes a difference to me.

34. Maili the Wild Guesser
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 15:58:35

@Morgan Karpiel: I’m thinking it’s something like teaching cheerleaders how to do a decent split without wincing.

35. brooksse
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 19:24:15

@Author On Vacation:
    “BN also presents a more attractive layout than Sony. It sounds like a minute thing, but it does matter to me. When I open Desktop Reader, all the files display their attractive cover art.”

Does the nook display the covers for side-loaded content? I don’t usually purchase from B&N, but I did install the nook for PC/Android/iPhone apps to download free ebooks from B&N. I tried side-loading a couple ebooks into the nook for PC and nook for Android apps. The side-loaded ebooks didn’t have covers and were stored separately from the B&N purchased content. I had briefly considered a nook but changed my mind after seeing how poorly the nook apps handle side-loaded content.

36. Author On Vacation
    Oct 28, 2010 @ 23:41:00

@brooksse:

The Nook doesn’t offer a cover display for side-loaded content. As a rule, this doesn’t bug me so much. I know I have to go down a list to find my side-loaded content. I think it’s difficult for Nook to offer a cover display feature for Documents since not all documents have book covers.

It bugged me to no end to purchase Sony ebooks and have “stripped” books on the monitor. Give how much time and effort Sony puts into its readers, you’d think it’d be child’s play for them to offer a cover icon instead.

I would like to see better organization in the Nook. A device designed to store thousands of books should offer organization options. A new software update is supposed to offer better organization options for the library (not documents.) So I’ll see where it goes.

Like many other ebook readers, I’ve yet to stumble across a reader providing all the features I prefer. Each reader seems to offer a good feature or two without offering other equally desireable features. But out of all the shopping I’ve done, the Nook is the closest I’ve come to the features I want.

37. Morgan Karpiel
    Oct 29, 2010 @ 02:34:50

@Maili: Now there’s a trick ;-)

38. Juliette
    Oct 29, 2010 @ 16:10:31

I bought a Nook 3g+wi-fi thinking I could access limited internet away from a hot spot(we can do this on my husband’s Kindle). I like to be able to look up restaurants and coffee shops when we’re on the road, and I was thinking by having just enough internet access for that, I could avoid the pull of the iphone and avoid yet another monthly bill. Unfortunately, I misunderstood.:(
    The 3g Nook only gets you access to the B&N site for book purchasing. That’s not worth the extra $50+, so I returned it and decided to check out the Nookcolor when it comes out.

My husband’s a very light sleeper, so I read in the lowest light I can get away with, which is fine for a paperback, but I have a hard time reading the Nook in lower light, so the backlit feature appeals greatly to me. I was told while it has an LCD screen, it’s got some sort of filter that makes it much easier on the eyes, and it actually can be read outdoors. I like to lay in my back yard and read so that feature is a plus.

I borrow from the library frequently, ebooks and e-audio. I sew, so the 100 hours of audio time on Nookcolor compared to the approx. 8 hours of audio on the original is another huge plus. I hope the new Nook has better navigation for audio because regular Nook is abysmal in that respect.

I’m an artist and I have a huge appreciation for aesthetics and I find the Nook a standout in looks and design. I also really appreciate a beautiful cover. I don’t know about Nookcolor’s access to full color covers, but if it has that, that’s a selling point for me as well.

It has so many great features I want, my biggest qualm is in getting the first model out of the gate it may have glitches and such.

39. brooksse
    Oct 29, 2010 @ 21:08:16

@Author On Vacation:

Thanks… that’s what I suspected about the nook based on the way the nook apps handle side-loaded content.

When you purchase an ebook from B&N, they probably download a thumbnail to use for the cover. That works great for content purchased from B&N, but not so great for side-loaded content that doesn’t include thumbnails.

I’m thinking that wouldn’t work with the Sony readers because Sony doesn’t really expect you to purchase most of your ebooks from the Sony store. I think the Sony readers (and ADE) just use whatever cover jpg is embedded in the epub file.

The way Sony and ADE handle covers actually works better for me because I have a lot of side-loaded content. And about 90% of the ebooks I’ve purchased do have the actual book cover embedded in them.

When I see an ebook that doesn’t have a cover image, I get irritated, too. But I blame the publisher. (I’m looking at you MacMillan, Random House, and Penguin.) If all the publishers embed the actual book cover in their ebooks, then it wouldn’t matter where the ebook was purchased or which device it was being loaded onto.