Wednesday Midday News: New publishing models; Amazon adds Paramount to Prime;...

Personal Note: One of the things Say Books created was a serialized ebook using the PressBooks platform. The PressBooks platform is a wordpress based publishing site that creates ebooks out of blog posts. I asked SayBooks about their product:

We were pleasantly surprised at the response to the subscription model, and even though the chapters are now all up and we are about to release the ebook, we are still getting subscribers every couple of days. … All but a handful of the subscribers ‘donated’ $5 or more (people who donate more than $5 get the ebook at the end too), and a significant number were for more than $5; (one person donated $0.01c!:)). The actual ebook will sell for $4.99. It is still early days and too early to make any judgements.about a long term business model. However, I am convinced that using the potential of the web as a discovery and delivery method for the content, not just for the product, is the way book publishing needs to go. We will continue to publish novels in this way, with an ebook available at the end too.

• All the Pretty Girls by J.T. Ellison * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S  (reviewed here.  I enjoyed the first one but stopped reading after about the third book)
  • 14 by J.T. Ellison * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Judas Kiss by J.T. Ellison * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S

1. Isobel Carr
    May 23, 2012 @ 12:25:08

What Amazon NEEDS to “beef up” is their promise of 2-day delivery with Prime. I dropped mine after they slipped to 3-5 day delivery, which is exactly what I get with free SuperSaver shipping.

2. DS
    May 23, 2012 @ 12:33:51

I’m getting 2 day delivery on everything not handled by the USPS. I happen to think that the USPS is an important government service but after a letter I sent first class with an insurance premium took 15 days to get to Chicago I’m giving up.

Sorry, that was a rant just waiting for the least excuse to happen..

3. Angela
    May 23, 2012 @ 13:17:13

@Isobel Carr: I’ve never had a problem getting my orders in 2 days from my Prime account. The stuff I’ve ordered through the marketplace always irritates me with how slow it is (comparatively), but I love Prime, and I haven’t even really used the instant video part of it yet.

4. Isobel Carr
    May 23, 2012 @ 13:39:14

Prime was great for a good long while, then it started slipping and just got worse and worse. I’m assuming it’s a USPS issue, not an Amazon issue, but it really is something Amazon should stay on top of IMO.

5. Renda
    May 23, 2012 @ 14:45:58

Maybe the Prime issue is a matter of location, location, location.

The last two books my daughter ordered on Amazon Prime were ordered on a Sunday afternoon and they were received in the mail Monday. We are in Atlanta.

I have not had any problem getting the two-day service and I order something, rarely books except for my daughter, every ten days or so. We are happy with our Prime and will keep it as long as it works this well.

6. nasanta
    May 23, 2012 @ 14:46:37

@Isobel Carr: I didn’t realize it was an ongoing problem. I noticed that I was getting 3-5 day shipping towards the end of my free Student Prime and thought it was just Amazon.com slipping up.

7. Susanna Fraser
    May 23, 2012 @ 22:36:11

We’ve always gotten our two-day deliveries on time and sometimes even a day early, though I haven’t checked lately to see how many of them are USPS vs. private carriers. We order a mix of books, clothes, and toys, and I’ve definitely become spoiled by the quick delivery compared to anywhere else we shop online.

8. Joy
    May 24, 2012 @ 08:22:09

Hm, Federal pubs are nearly always public domain. You don’t need GPO authorization to resell them.

9. GrowlyCub
    May 24, 2012 @ 08:52:22

Sharon Lee and Steve Miller did something similar to what Say Books is doing by writing two novels as serials and posting chapters on their website.

The idea was that they’d post a chapter each time a total donation of $300 was reached with no more than 1 chapter a week promised. They had several chapters ready going in and then expected things to develop at a rather leisurely pace. What they didn’t expect was their fans’ reaction because the donations poured in so fast that they had to produce a chapter a week immediately. :) That added a bit of stress to the process for the authors as we did troll the website on Mondays impatiently.

Anybody who donated at least $25 was promised a copy of the book if it was ever contracted and published. We ended up with signed HC copies of Fledgling and Saltation.

That ended up a bit of a loss for the authors, as they hadn’t expected the publisher (Baen) to put these books out in HC which had higher shipping costs, but they stuck by their word and everybody who updated their shipping address got their copies.