Want Your Reader Voice to Be Heard?

Dorchester publishing

Dorchester Publishing, publisher of the upcoming exciting (to me at least), Shomi line, is asking for Reader’s opinions. It is clear from the comments here on the blog and at the Celebrate Romance event, that readers want the publishers to hear their voices. So go make a difference and participate in the Dorchester Reader Survey.

1. Robin
    Mar 16, 2007 @ 11:27:38

I just filled out the survey and found it interesting that when it asked what other kinds of fiction I usually read, it only included genre fiction — no literary fiction, historical fiction, general fiction, etc., let alone non-fiction (biographies, etc.).

Mar 16, 2007 @ 11:29:12

I haven’t done it yet but I will. I wonder if that is because it is geared toward what they already publish?

3. Eva Gale
    Mar 16, 2007 @ 11:32:58

That was fairly painless and they give you a coupon. Some interesting things they ask, and I’m curious to see where they go with the information. One was if you would be willing to have a book party, akin to a tupperware party if they sent you books.

4. Janine
    Mar 16, 2007 @ 11:38:22

I noticed the same thing, Robin. I was also disappointed that they didn’t ask what would make me more likely to purchase books, or provide some comment box where I could give more comments.

5. Robin
    Mar 16, 2007 @ 12:19:55

I was going to mention that, but I didn’t want to sound too negative, since at least it’s *something* — although I’m also wondering what purpose some of those questions are supposed to serve. I remember a scuffle last year(?) with a letter that supposedly was sent from Dorchester on Pamela Clare’s behalf, which created some very strong negative reactions from some readers. Maybe they’re trying to figure out how to most effectively promote their authors, which is not a bad thing, IMO.

I wonder if that is because it is geared toward what they already publish?

I think that’s right, Jane, but if this is about soliciting reader feedback, I’d think they’d like to know where we’re spending our reading dollars and time. If a reader divides her attention between, say, Romance and lit fic, but can only check Romance on their list, that can create a skewed result, depending on what they’re looking for. I got the sense, though, that the survey was more about promotion than about *what* we were looking for in our genre fiction. It was such a short survey, though, it’s difficult to tell.

IMO, Bronwyn Clarke’s doctoral survey for Romance readers was a terrific assessment tool and extremely comfortable to complete.

6. LinM
    Mar 16, 2007 @ 17:51:54

But Bronwyn’s survey allowed/encouraged user input – so when I went down a list (eg: a list of romance sites visited regularly) thinking no, no, no, no – there was an input box to enter other options (yes, yes, yes, yes).

In the Dorchester survey, I looked at the lists thinking no, no, no, no and eventually went off to see if I had ever read any Dorchester books.

And keep “teaser chapters by another author” out of my books – for me this is definitely negative publicity.