USA Today Bestseller List Predictions, Week Ending October 07, 2007

USA LOGO

Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas is number one at Bookscan Romance list this week and thirteen last week. I don’t expect her paperback to be number one on the USAToday list but it should move into the top fifteen from her 82 position depending on the number of big name releases that came out on October 02. (I.e., I bet Deanna Favre’s book will be in the top 10).

Nora Roberts’ The Gift: Home For Christmas\All I Want For Christmas\Gabriel’s Angel, was 7th last week and her sales haven’t significantly decreased so I would expect it to stay about the same.

Everyone else who was on the list last week will fall and there will be no new names except maybe Bertrice Small’s Border Lord’s Bride.

1. AshleighRaine Jen
    Oct 10, 2007 @ 13:39:19

Do you think Lori Foster’s new book, written under her L.L. Foster pseudonym, will hit the USA Today bestseller list? It released on October 2. I’m curious to see how an established author, writing under a new pen name, will do.

Oct 10, 2007 @ 13:55:53

I looked at the USAToday bestseller list database and the highest that Foster has ever appeared was 13 and it was for her book, Causing Havoc. Simon Says, another Ultimate Fighting book (I think she uses another term), was 26 and that was her most recent release. It’s current Amazon ranking is 6,254. Contrast that with Lisa Kleypas’ AR of 122.

Highlander Unchained by Monica McCarty and The Scottish Companion by Karen Ranney are in the low 5000s but appear within the top 20 of the Bookscan list. My best guess is no, she won’t show up.

I do wonder about the transferability of reading groups. I.e., Sookie Stackhouse is a highly popular series for Charlaine Harris but her other southern mystery series doesn’t place as high on the bestseller lists suggesting that a) her sales aren’t as good for the second series and b) that her audience is not carrying over.

On the whole, except for a few big name authors, my understanding is that horror is not a big seller. I am not sure what the audience was for Foster’s new book. On the one hand, it’s spined romance and on the other, she changes her name suggesting an entirely different kind of book.

3. Stacey Bruen
    Oct 10, 2007 @ 16:14:07

I don’t think Deanna Favre’s book will be ranked this week. She’s 91 on B&N this hour and has been between 250-500 on Amazon. It looks like because of her schedule she’s had to spread out her media. I saw her on Greta’s show on Fox, they talked about the book at the beginning of the Packers-Bears game Sunday night so I actually see her doing better this week than last. I heard she’s going to be on GMA on Oct. 16. They may have a tough time making the list because her media hits have been a little spread out.

The other reason she isn’t likely to make the list is most of her booksignings are at Christian stores in Wisconsin and they won’t be scanned.

Oct 10, 2007 @ 16:30:00

You have a good point Stacey about the spread of her media. She was on ESPN Radio last week on three different shows and I think that they talked up the book on the pregame show last week too.

I saw the Greta thing and thought it was so interesting when Brett and Deanna were asked the “what do you love about the other”, Deanna was all Brett is funny, Brett is this, that and otherwise and Brett was all “deanna’s so supportive of me; Deanna does this for me.” LOL.

There was a great Favre special on NFL network narrated by Billy Bob Thornton on the legend of Favre. I loved it.

200-250 on Amazon is pretty good comparatively speaking. Usually a book that places in the 100s on Amazon will show up on the list so maybe she won’t be in the top 10 but lower down. In the extended list maybe?

5. Ann Bruce
    Oct 10, 2007 @ 19:23:47

I’m having a hard time believing Lori Foster has a dark side, considering even her “kick ass” heroines are sweet enough to make my tooth ache.

Will one of the Ja(y)nes/Janines be reviewing the book?

6. Anne H
    Oct 11, 2007 @ 01:21:46

Jane,

You’re right about Lisa Kleypas and Nora Roberts. I’m impressed with Lisa Kleypas climb to #5 from #82. Good for her. Roberts “The Gift” is down to 11 but still within the top 15. That’s quite good too especially as it’s a reissue. The big surprise is Ward’s “Lover Unbound” which dropped to #34 from #10 last week. I thought it would drop just a few notches but would still be in the top 15 or 20.