Tuesday News: Women are portrayed as frequently aggressive, always willing, and...

naperville nalini singh

Melanie, Cleo, Ellen, and Angela

We had a great time last night in Anderson’s Bookshop at the Nalini Singh signing. Here is a crew of Dear Author readers. Ellen came all the way from Alabama. Angela drove down from Madison. Melanie is a native (and a recent convert of RT).  Ellen and Cleo were accompanied by their husbands. I thought it was particularly romantic that these gentlemen accompanied their wives to a 2 hour Q&A and signing. Cleo’s husband, Bill, said that it was the least he could do after all the times his wife has sat through a number of events with his friends but romance is in the small gestures and these two husbands sure seemed to be the epitome of romantic heroes in accompanying their wives last.

***

“The sex is sometimes rough but always consensual,” Justice James Richman wrote. “Women are portrayed as frequently aggressive, always willing, and seemingly insatiable. Men are portrayed as frequently demanding, always ready, and seemingly inexhaustible.”

What he found is that even the simplest narrative can elicit powerful empathic response my triggering the release of neurochemicals like cortisol and oxytocin, provided it is highly engaging and follows the classic dramatic arc outlined by the German playwright Gustav Freytag 150 years ago.

In volume terms, e-books make up more than 20% of sales in genres such as crime fiction, romance and classic fiction, and between 16-20% for popular fiction, erotic fiction and sci-fi and fantasy.” I’m curious as to how many readers know if they are buying self published books or traditionally published books.

In the novel The First Thing We Look At, a woman shows up at the door of a mechanic in the northern village of Somme seeking help.  At first the mechanic believes she is ‘Scarlett Johansson,’ though sixty pages later it is revealed she is not the actress but simply a doppelganger named Jeanine Foucaprez.

1. cleo
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 06:42:17

The q&a and book signing was a lot of fun. I was almost as excited about meeting Jane and other DA readers as I was about Nalini.

2. Angela
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 07:06:51

LOL, cleo – the same for me :) It was fantastic to meet you all!

In the other news – I really don’t know what Scarlett Johannson is trying to accomplish here.

3. library addict
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 07:12:11

I wish I’d been able to make the signing. It sounds like it was a lot of fun.

4. Danielle D
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 07:49:11

Dang, I live about 25 minutes from Anderson Bookstore. I’m heading to Naperville tonight for another event.

5. Patricia Eimer
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 07:50:27

The Scarlet Johannsen thing was on another site as well. She’s upset because a male character in a fictional book described a woman as being sexy like Scarlett Johannssen. So now she doesn’t want to be known as a gorgeous, curvy blonde sex symbol? O-kay.

6. Melanie (Moviemavengal)
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 08:57:17

Jane, I don’t think I ever told you my name as we dived right in to talking about books. I’m the one on the far left who lives in Naperville.

It was so great to talk with you last night, and meet the other women who came, even from Alabama! Thanks for making the long drive for the event with Nalini. I think your moderating made it even more special and informative for everyone there. Since you are also a big fan of the books, you had great questions for Nalini. I’ve heard her speak more than once, but I certainly learned quite a few new things I hadn’t heard from her before.

7. Melanie (Moviemavengal)
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 09:01:37

And Scarlett Johansson — see John Malkovich in “Being John Malkovich” for an example of someone being gracious at the use of his name and persona.

8. AmyW
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 10:22:19

The article about Scarlet Johansson says “At first the mechanic believes she is ‘Scarlett Johansson,’ though sixty pages later it is revealed she is not the actress but simply a doppelganger named Jeanine Foucaprez.”

Sounds like it’s more than just a comparison or name-dropping. It may seem like she’s a character in the book, which is a no-no. I haven’t read the book or know if her case has merit since it’s revealed later she’s not Johansson, though.

9. Kierney Scott
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 12:53:51

The article about the prisoner getting his book back has pleased me to no end. Hopefully it was worth the wait.

Jun 11, 2013 @ 22:03:42

@Melanie – Thank you for coming and commenting! I didn’t remember if you introduced yourself and I felt like a heel for not remembering your name. Won’t ever forget it now. I’m so glad that you came. Wasn’t Nalini fantastic? I really enjoyed listening to her as well. And meeting the four of you was icing on the cake!

11. Fiona McGier
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 22:50:25

Unfortunately I usually work nights. Can you all arrange to have a book signing at Andersons that gets publicized weeks in advance, so those of us with crappy retail jobs can request the night off? I’d love to have a face/person to put with the writers here that I enjoy being mentally stimulated by so often.