Tuesday News Roundup: Sony & iRex Out With 3G Wireless Readers

Sony announced that along with the PRS 300 (the 5″ screen at $199) and the PRS 600 (the 6″ touchscreen at $299) it will release Sony Daily Edition at $399.   Sony Daily Edition comes equipped with 3G wireless capabilities, a 7″ touchscreen, and is powered by the ATT Network.   You can see pictures of the weird looking device here.   I’m tempted but would need to see one in person.   I would want to be able to access my Calibre folder and if it is possible to do that, then I would be interested in the Sony 3G.

In other eReading news, iRex and Barnes and Noble have partnered to bring a touchscreen wireless device to the US (and possibly others).   iRex has been in the eink business from the beginning and my guess is that the device that is coming out will be excellent given its long learning curve.   It will be tethered to the BN store, however, and despite BN’s claims otherwise, it is still lacking in selection.   I am guessing that the iRex device will be aimed toward the consumer reading crowd and the Plastic Logic device that will be directed at the business crowd.

NetGalley has announced that its egalleys can now be downloaded onto the Sony Reader.

Jane Friedman, the former CEO of HarperCollins who saw the publisher to 10 years of record profit and then got shown the door, has been raising money for a new venture.   It looks like Friedman’s project will be to find books and turn them into movies.

We consumers are buying less and being more sensitive to prices of books.   Given this it seems strange that companies like Pocket, EOS books, St. Martin’s Press continue to try to sell their ebooks at premium prices.

In blogging news, an anonymous blogger called a model a skank and the model got Google to divulge the information of the anonymous blogger.   The anon blogger is now suing Google for violating her privacy.

Apple’s 5th Avenue store brings in approximately $35,000 per square foot making it possibly the highest grossing retail space on 5th Avenue.

If you or a loved one is addicted to the internet, rehab is now available at the low low cost of $14,500.

1. Shiloh Walker
    Aug 25, 2009 @ 12:06:50

Ooooohhhh, that daily edition Sony looks cool.

2. Janine
    Aug 25, 2009 @ 12:31:52

Sony Daily Edition comes equipped with 3G wireless capabilities

Want!

3. Shannon Stacey
    Aug 25, 2009 @ 13:15:10

What’s with AT&T getting all the good toys? Verizon users need love, too.

4. Chicklet
    Aug 25, 2009 @ 13:30:53

Verizon users need love, too.

I hear ya, but given what I’ve heard about the 3G network, the love we Verizon users get is a paucity of dropped calls. :-)

5. Joy
    Aug 25, 2009 @ 14:57:12

Yay! Of course, now I’ll have to really decide how I feel about the 7in vs wireless.

Verizon users need love, too.

I hear ya, but given what I've heard about the 3G network, the love we Verizon users get is a paucity of dropped calls. :-)

I’ve been on AT&T since 1998 and have rarely had issues. I had issues in Toronto in the early 2000s – but everyone with a US phone did. /end tangent

6. library addict
    Aug 25, 2009 @ 18:09:30

But do you actually need to be an AT&T customer? The press release states “There are no monthly fees or transaction charges for the basic wireless connectivity.” I am sure I’m missing something in the fine print as that sounds too good to be true.

Wireless is not a must-have for me, so I am still longing for the 600/Touch edition. On a side note what’s with these names? I think the numbers were less confusing than Pocket/Touch/Daily editions ::shrug::

Have they said if the Daily Edition be available outside the US?

7. Tina Burns
    Aug 25, 2009 @ 23:05:44

I agree that Verizon would be nice, At&T sucks in Phoenix. Verizon however, gets greedy with their proprietary labeling of content on their network, one reason why iPhone went to At&T.

I wish Borders would get hooked up with a ereader device. I like them better than B&N.

8. Azure
    Aug 26, 2009 @ 06:30:49

My only wish is that the new Sony would allow you to wirelessly download personal content (my 505 has issues with my computer, so I have to use the memory cards and it’s a pain). It doesn’t sound like it’s going to do that, so I may have to take a pass on getting one for now.

However, if they add that feature somehow—I’m in!