Tuesday News: Racism on the internet; CIA spying; and other self...

bill gates funny

It is also a hotbed of misogyny, homophobia, and racism. Original posters are often called faggots. Defenders of a woman’s right not to be molested in public are referred to as white knighters that are trying too hard. If reddit were a bar, you wouldn’t want to be walking there at night. William Shatner has suggested to the moderators that perhaps the hands off approach was not only fostering negative behaviors, but encouraging it. The response by one redditor was to suggest that Shatner change his front page settings, but changing one’s settings doesn’t address the problems that reddit has. Every day that I visit Reddit, I’m hit with the dual emotions of sick loathing and delighted appreciation. In other words, don’t visit Reddit without a friend. Or five. Pando Daily and Reddit

“Today the International CES® announced that DISH’s Hopper™ with Sling® Whole-Home HD DVR is joining the Razer Edge gaming tablet as co-winners of “Best of Show” under the “Best of CES” awards program for the 2013 International CES. The Best of CES awards program is produced by CNET under contract with the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) ®, the producer of the International CES. CNET editors originally selected the Hopper with Sling as Best of Show before CNET’s corporate parent, CBS Corp. forced them to remove the Hopper from consideration due to ongoing litigation between CBS Corp. and DISH over specific features of the Hopper. After the Hopper was removed from consideration and a revote by the editors, CNET awarded The Razer Edge as Best of Show.”

1. ms bookjunkie
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 06:29:37

Please explain the number 32… asking for a friend. ;)

2. Deb Nam-Krane
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 06:52:46

Go Captain Kirk! And I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: if people really have a problem with Reddit (I don’t use it at all), take it up with their parent company, Advance Publications. They also own a couple of other things- like Conde Nast.

3. carmen webster buxton
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 07:02:16

Is it just me or does that old Bill Gates photo bear a striking resemblance to Howard Wolowitz on BIG BANG THEORY?

4. cecilia
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 07:44:10

“I AM THE CRAB LORD” made my day.

5. Cindy
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 07:49:43

@Carmen That’s who he reminded me of! Yes, a blonde version of Howard from BBTCin

6. Nicole Jane
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 09:07:12

my lol moment for this morning: “and you finally understand finding nemo”

7. Karenmc
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 09:39:05

Time spent this morning looking at that Tumblr list: a gift from the internet gods.

8. Tara
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 09:49:52

I don’t hang out in reddits frequented by bridge trolls, but I see hateful comments, they tend to be down voted into oblivion. Just this past weekend I saw racist trolls go to town on a post on the front page, but their posts were downvoted to hell. For every racist comment, there were far more criticizing their behavior. That’s not an excuse for the negative behavior, but I like to think there are more good people on Reddit than trolls. Yeah, I still don’t like that those people are a part of a site I love, but Reddit is its own society, with the good and bad.

9. Christine M.
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 10:37:39

I don’t get #32 either. *pouts* Explanation plzkthxbai? ;)

Feb 12, 2013 @ 10:44:16

The explanation I received re number 32 was that there is a show called Mr. Noodle and it was the only station that worked on the hotel television station. Each time Mr. Noodle is instructed to wash his hands, he washed a different part of his body – his foot, his face, his elbow.

The poor guy in the hotel was forced to watch this and by the umpteenth time that Mr. Noodle had refused to wash his hands, the guy lost his patience and cursed at Mr. Noodle.

11. CK
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 10:56:57

Mr. Noodle is part of the Elmo segment of Sesame Street. The Noodle family help Elmo demonstrate an activity but it usually takes several tries. Basically it’s kids humor. My boys loooooved the Noodles because they saw it as an adult screwing up something that the kids could do easily. Now as an adult watching that show (you can’t help it unless you’re using headphones), you just want to beat the Noodles with a dead horse. Like Barney. Or maybe it’s just me. :)

12. CG
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:05:31

@Christine M.:
    @Jane:
    I think the funny part isn’t that the poor guy forced to watch Mr Noodle repeatedly failing to wash his hands lost his patience (which he probably did), but that at the fourth or fifth attempt and failure on Mr Noodle’s part the poor guy heard another guest somewhere in the same motel yelling “GODDAMMIT, MR NOODLE!”.

And who doesn’t love a Strothtronaut :)

13. Ridley
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:12:17

Shatner’s criticisms are why I don’t use Reddit. I don’t agree with how they provide hateful groups with a platform and how the trolls don’t stick to their own subreddits. The comparisons to a wide open society or crowd don’t help. The whole reason we have friends and social circles is so we don’t spend out time talking to assholes. Moderation and standards are a feature, not a bug.

14. Lada
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:17:31

@CG: Slothstronaut bombing your dad? Winner!

OMG…where did my morning go?? Thanks, Jane!

15. azteclady
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:54:27

32: and here I thought it had something to do with limpness…

16. willaful
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 15:59:44

Still not sure where the “32” comes in. I would totally get it if it were 42, of course.

17. Sandra
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 18:08:48

@willaful:

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Rules_of_the_Internet : 32. You must have pictures to prove your statements

Rather appropriate for tumblr…

18. willaful
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 20:56:06

D’oh! I read what Jane wrote as “I didn’t get why they picked 32 things, someone had to explain the significance of 32 to me” not “I didn’t get what was funny about number 32.”