Tuesday News: Pre order for free content now a *thing* for...

Do you find this promotion to be entertaining or annoying? (On a personal note, I rarely pre order anything and I wouldn’t likely pre order a book even to read an outtake) avonromance.com

But I guess the thing to do is NOT yell for the young people to get off your lawn but invite them in and make a nice meal out of them.

1. library addict
    May 14, 2013 @ 04:09:17

I dislike this trend of “bonus” content. Especially when it means there are multiple versions of an ebook available.

I do like to pre-order, though I usually only do so to take advantage of a sale price or coupon code. I’ve pre-ordered from Samhain, ARe, Carina, and Harlequin. After accidentally buying a book I had already pre-ordered I now keep a list in Evernote with the release dates of any books I’ve pre-ordered.

One of my friends owns a Kindle and pre-orders a lot. She says she likes when books “magically” appear on her device.

2. Claire
    May 14, 2013 @ 05:00:09

I can see where they’re going with the pre order bonuses. It has been used to great effect in the gaming industry. They tend to just release the extra content to those who actually pre-order it, as opposed to everyone if it reaches a certain level, though.

3. Mike Cane
    May 14, 2013 @ 05:47:19

>>>Researchers have found that blood of youngsters can rejuvenate the heart of the old ones

I’d like to take this opportunity to announce my start-up: Bloodstarter. I expect all of you to Vein Up!

As for Liquavista, who knows? Amazon could be starting a business signage company for all we know.

4. ms bookjunkie
    May 14, 2013 @ 05:56:56

I pre-order a lot (in bulk, actually, when it comes to print books by auto-buy authors) using coupon codes, especially now that prices have gone up a bit for me. But I’m not sure pre-ordering print books is good for me. That tingle of anticipation for the book, that “OMG it’s here, READ NAO!!!” has turned to “eh, another one for the TBR that will soon topple over and crush me in my sleep,” due to the weeks or months I wait between pre-ordering and release. (Of course, some of that may be due to my historical fatigue slash* broader romance fatigue slash trying to force myself to read stuff when I’m not in the mood for it…) I also do quite a bit of pre-ordering from the Samhain store and Kindle. Though digital pre-ordering is a totally different experience from print pre-ordering for me. Not annoying at all.

But pre-ordering for bonus content? Nah. It would have to be something truly awesome. (I’ve been burned too badly when the “bonus content” in Book Title With Bonus Content has turned out to be excerpts of the author’s other books. Yes, indeed, I am still bitter.) And I’m price-conscious. You can’t make me pre-order something that belongs on my “buy when the price is reasonable, I can wait” list.

*(So I hear writing “slash” instead of using “/” is a thing now so I thought I’d try it out. I’m okay with it, I think. And explaining that made me So Not Cool.)

5. sandyl
    May 14, 2013 @ 06:10:15

The only time I preorder, deadwood or electronic, is when it is an author I truly love and trust. All other authors I note the release date and then download a sample.

6. Jules
    May 14, 2013 @ 07:43:38

I noticed the preorder thing with Eloisa James since she was promoting it on Facebook. I don’t think I have ever preordered a book… wait that is not true. I did preorder the Harry Potter books once upon a time.

Will this added content make me preorder the book? I thought about it, but then my brain flitted somewhere else. From what I have seen author bonus content really isn’t worth it for me to pay more.

Also I think I would ditch the Nook that I have for a color eInk device. I would at least give it a hard think.

7. DB Cooper
    May 14, 2013 @ 08:29:04

@ms bookjunkie:

I believe writing “slash” has been a thing for a while now. ;)

+puns and hides+

On that note, do romance books/series/characters have a slash following?

8. Christine M.
    May 14, 2013 @ 08:48:34

@Claire:

Oh yeah and man does it work. Not only they make me preorder all my games (and even some I’m not sure just yet I’ll actually enjoy), but they’re so good that they can make me change the estore from which I make my preorder, depending on the extra that I want. (Bonus soundtrack? Buy from Amazon! New weapon DLC? Get it from EBGames! An extra familiar? Get it from Best Buy! An extra ending? Download the game straight from the PSN! You don’t want no bonus? Get it from Walmart! etc.) Drives me nuts, having to figure out which of the extra I’d actually use most and make my selection. Damn them.

9. srs
    May 14, 2013 @ 08:57:59

My Grandma did this just last week! She’s 91 years old, mostly blind and crippled with arthritis, but is still mentally very alert and just as tyrannical as ever. My mom was concerned that she was sleeping all the time – even more than one would normally expect a very elderly woman who enjoys a good nap to sleep – and called her doctor in to give her a check-up. He prescribed a blood transfusion and my mom says the difference was remarkable. By the end of the transfusion (which took several hours as she is so frail that they didn’t want to overwhelm her system) my grandma was much more alert and had roses in her cheeks.

My mother’s side of the family is very long lived. They joke that their peripherals may fail but their core (heart, brain, lungs) just keep plugging along. Several of my great-aunts have made it to 100 and beyond, and my grandma jokes that she’s determined to live to 103 to beat out her sister, who died at age 102 and with whom my grandma had a lifelong (mostly) friendly rivalry. I know that my grandma doesn’t want any major efforts to extend her life, and if she gets cancer again or has some other life threatening event she’s given instructions to refuse treatment, but things like this blood transfusion can do a great deal to help her live out her life, whether that be another six months or 12 years, as comfortably as possible.

10. SAO
    May 14, 2013 @ 09:38:16

I don’t pre-order, but I’m not keen on bonus content, either. A good novella might be an enticement, but extra scenes are a no-no. Either they weren’t needed in the book and putting them in will slow the pace, or they were needed and the book is crippled without them. It’s not likely the publisher or author is going to tell you which it is.

11. Monica Murphy
    May 14, 2013 @ 09:48:22

The preorder and get bonus content idea I think stems from promotional tactics I see (and have used) in self publishing. I didn’t have the preorder option but I would use for instance, “Once I hit xx number of followers on Facebook, I’ll share a deleted scene.”

It works. Readers seem to love it. So kudos to Avon for giving it a try.

12. Gwen Hayes
    May 14, 2013 @ 10:15:54

Keep your hover cars! I’d be happy with color eink.

13. Lada
    May 14, 2013 @ 11:04:12

I can see how people love thinking they’re getting that special something extra for their money and so will pre-buy but it does nothing for me and the idea that deleted scenes might get me to buy a book gives me rage face. I can see how it works in gaming because it often is about extra or enhanced play. So perhaps a related novella would be a better enticement but I figure any reader who is a big enough fan will probably pre-buy without the added incentives. I don’t though and happily buy the books I want when they are released.

14. coupon code
    May 14, 2013 @ 21:01:34

I’m just curious, because looking at the pre-order content for Halo 4 at my local EB Games, it says that you get an Armor Suit skin as well as a Battle Rifle skin. If the codes do come with the pre-order, would they be valid? Or would they be invalid until the game’s release?

15. Angela Booth
    May 15, 2013 @ 00:42:13

Bonus content for preordering? No — that wouldn’t interest me or inspire me to preorder. I don’t read the “bonus content” at the ends of books either.

I occasionally preorder the next book in a series, or a new book I want.

Sounds like a silly idea to me, but it may get some additional sales.

16. MrsJoseph
    May 15, 2013 @ 11:45:12

I’ll pass on pre-ordering…unless its by Ilona Andrews or some other “I must have this NOW” author (and I don’t have many of those). I don’t care about the novellas, etc. Besides, the free content will show up – for free – eventually. Either a website or a new promotion etc.