Tuesday News: Marry a girl who reads or don’t; The cult...

Andrew “weev” Auerheimer is in jail now but not for harassing one female tech blogger but for releasing the social security numbers of 114,000 AT&T customers.

Auernheimer is part of an internet subculture where might makes right, where the only moral code is for the superior to enforce their will on the inferior.

Women are overwhelmingly the target for this type of internet subculture and that’s true even in the book world. The Verge.

And, only a small percentage (4%) of New Zealand published books are fiction. The exorbitant cost of books, however, may be partly what is hurting New Zealand publishing. Many readers are trying to purchase geo free restricted books at reduced prices or ordering from Book Depository to avoid the VAT tax. The price of books really needs to be examined, in my opinion, should NZ want to continue to publish home grown books to a home grown audience. Stuff.co.nz

If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She’ll talk as if the characters in the book are real, because for a while, they always are…. Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours and half-baked proposals, then you’re better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads.

Charles Warnke takes a different tack.

Don’t date a girl who reads. Do those things, because nothing sucks worse than a girl who reads. Do it, I say, because a life in purgatory is better than a life in hell. Do it, because a girl who reads possesses a vocabulary that can describe that amorphous discontent as a life unfulfilled—a vocabulary that parses the innate beauty of the world and makes it an accessible necessity instead of an alien wonder. A girl who reads lays claim to a vocabulary that distinguishes between the specious and soulless rhetoric of someone who cannot love her, and the inarticulate desperation of someone who loves her too much. A vocabulary, god damnit, that makes my vacuous sophistry a cheap trick.

But maybe Mark Grist’s take is even better

Full text here: http://writeoutloud.net/profiles/markgrist

See, some guys prefer asses
Some prefer tits
And I’m not saying that I don’t like those bits
But what’s more important
What supercedes
For me Is a girl a with passion, wit and dreams
So I want a girl who reads

1. Kaetrin
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 06:24:46

The Mark Grist poem is just excellent. Thx for sharing. :)

2. LeeF
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 07:22:53

“You should date a girl who reads”- must be a t-shirt out there somewhere

3. SAO
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 09:07:49

You’d think there’d be a great opportunity for a small publisher to establish themselves in NZ.

4. Jules
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 10:22:37

Oh! I saw that poem a few years ago and loved it then just as much as I loved rewatching it. Thanks for sharing it!

5. Susan Saxx
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:29:29

That Mark Grist video is freakin’ AWESOME.

Thank you so much for sourcing it for us and sharing!!

6. MaryC
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:30:55

Thank you for sharing!

7. Lada
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:51:51

Thanks for the pick-me-up Grist video. I needed it after reading the well reported but demoralizing Verge article.

8. Lea
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 15:21:58

Love the video – thanks for sharing. Made me smile.

9. Rachel
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 20:07:22

Hi, long time lurker from NZ here. Nice to see the sad story of reading in NZ being spread. I’m sure there is good research somewhere that suggests ‘the more you read, the more you read’ and therefore in the interest of book sellers to make it competitive. But when a mass market paperback costs $28 in NZ due to the NZ Book Sellers Association’s blinkers, people aren’t even going to bother to walk in the shop (I get so livid about this). I now stick to Kindle and the library, and there are no serendipitous in-store purchases. The DA community has become so useful for recommendations (though it kills me when I get excited about the deals and then discover they’re geo-blocked, it’s so illogical it tears my hair out). The irony being I probably spend more because I get good value for my $s. Thanks for all the rekkies, and now I’ll slink back into my corner.

10. Susan
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 00:06:00

WHEN will I learn to not read the comments on most sites? Sheesh. The Verge article is bad enough, but the comments practically destroy my will to live.

11. Emily
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 01:04:55

I hate the girl who reads sh@t! I don’t count. I read, but I don’t read classics. I read romance. I read trash. The same idiots, who propagate this kind stuff, are the same people who post you don’t need bigger boobs, you need to read better books (0f which no romance other than Austen counts). Most men don’t identify romance as the same as a “reading woman.” The Grist video is old. Why are you just posting it yesterday?

12. LG
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 08:26:30

@Emily: I had the same thought after I watched Mark Grist’s version. In that one, “a girl who reads” was very clearly “a girl who reads the classics.”