Tuesday News: Kickstarter, Harper Lee’s enduring royalties, Big Data, wedding jumpsuits,...

“More than 6,000 publishing campaigns were launched on Kickstarter in 2013, including over 1,600 works of fiction and nearly 1,000 children’s book projects. In all, contributors pledged $21 million to publishing endeavors (up from $15 million in 2012), with an average pledge of $3,540 per backer.” Publishers Weekly

“According to legal papers filed against former book agent Sam Pinkus, in the first six months of 2009 alone Harper Lee earned $1,688,064.68 in royalties. Assuming 2009 is an average year, that works out to $3,376,129.39 per year. That’s $9,249 per day! That’s 4.5 times what Sting earns in a day from “Every Breath You Take”.” Celebrity Net Worth

“To their credit, Aiden and Michel freely acknowledge the distortions inherent in their device. For one thing, people who write books tend to write about other people who write books, so the Ngram data often exaggerate the cultural prominence of academics and authors. It’s also easy to confuse correlation with causation. Did the increasing frequency of the word “zombie” contribute to the rising occurrence of “the future,” was the causation reversed, are the trends unrelated, or do both reflect a deeper cause?” The Daily Beast

“At $750, the J. Crew option is much more affordable for many brides in comparison to conventional bridal gowns with prices generally in the thousands. Unlike a princess gown, a bridal jumpsuit can be worn to celebrations way past the big day giving you amazing bang for your buck.” StyleList

“Leafmarks is by far the closest you’ll get to the Goodreads experience with a clean and user-friendly interface, missing from the old fashioned LibraryThing, and you can tell just by using it what type of features will be available in the future, given time to further develop the site.” Literary Ames

1. Diana
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 08:35:47

Wow, the JCrew outfit basically looks like…a $750 white, lacy pants and top set. Way overpriced. I bet you could find something similar for less than $100 elsewhere on the web with a little googling. Though, that goes for all bridal wear. You do not have to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on quality bridal clothing — especially if you are going with a non-traditional dress or suit/pants set.

2. Amanda
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 08:52:23

I will look at Leafmarks. I genuinely did want to use something other than GR but Booklikes format just was not for me.

3. JJPP
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 09:02:37

I actually think the JCrew jumpsuit is pretty cute – a lot cuter than I was expecting when I followed the link. Though I personally wouldn’t get married in it! Not unless I did about a million squats leading up to my wedding and had the highest, tightest butt in the church. Because jumpsuits are not exactly forgiving, and I’m just imagining the self-conscious feeling of standing up in front of everyone with their eyes on my glutteus maximus!!

4. Stephanie Scott
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 09:31:14

@Diana:

I was disappointed by the jumpsuit. I was thinking slinky, long lines. This looks like a cute summer outfit, pants and top. I agree, overpriced and not quite what I would wear if I was going a non-traditional route.

I also cannot believe how much people spend on wedding gowns. I did some homework and found a great deal. Then again, my entire wedding probably cost a fraction of what people tend to spend. (Save it for the honeymoon! And a house!)

5. Isobel Carr
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 09:33:27

For $750 you could have a custom dress made that would be far nicer than that jumpsuit.

6. leslie
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 09:50:16

The jumpsuit would be fine for the hen party or maybe the rehearsal, but way too casual for a walk down the aisle.

7. Mary Beth
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 09:56:48

RE: The J. Crew jumpsuit wedding ensemble – I can just imagine myself being buttoned up and ready to go when suddenly, I really would need ‘to go’! On the other hand, it is an interesting fashion departure from the norm.

8. Lorenda
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 10:17:19

I spent a grand total of $100 on ebay for my wedding dress – and I’ve had two different people borrow it because they loved it.

Small train, corset string back, and cheap. (And because of the shoelace-like back, I can still say I fit in it… :))

9. Jayne
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 10:27:27

So, nobody’s ready to “Say Yes to the Jumpsuit” yet?

10. Moriah Jovan
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 11:48:25

The 80s called to congratulate you on your fine taste in wedding attire.

11. Emily
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 14:27:56

I like the wedding jump suit. I think it’s playful for a fun none too serious ceremony. Not everyone needs a big wedding dress and a long boring ceremony. I keep going to wedding with two hour ceremonies and three or four hours spent at the church, (by the fourth hour everyone is naseous.) It looks that wedding might actually be fun to attend.
    I think people seem overly judgmental and bitchy over the wedding jumpsuit. On your day, wear what you want. On someone else’s day, they wear what they want.

12. Amanda
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 15:06:32

I don’t have a problem with a jumpsuit, the best wedding I ever went to was one were my cousin (the bride) wore jeans. I do however think that this J. Crew jumpsuit is overpriced for what you get when you buy it.

13. hapax
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 15:31:27

My taste runs more to traditional wedding dress — I don’t even like lowcut or sleeveless ones — but to each her own.

I can’t imagine personally spending that much money on ANY outfit, including the one I would wear to be sworn in as President of the US.

My wedding dress cost less than two hundred bucks, and at least half of that was for the gorgeous handmade Venetian lace I splurged on — one quarter yard! I carefully cut out the panels and had them applique’d onto the gown, which my best friend’s mother made as a wedding gift. (I still have a few scraps of that lace tucked away somewhere). I made my own veil, and a matching satin and lace cover for my MiL’s prayer book, which I carried instead of a bouquet. (*very* traditional, as I said.)

I just think that any woman with the figure to carry that jumpsuit off would probably look better in practically anything else. But it isn’t MY wedding…

14. Diana
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 16:54:18

@Emily: I don’t think anyone’s saying no one should ever wear a jump suit on your wedding day…if that’s what you want, go for it. But why wear a jumpsuit that costs $750? That’s insane, sorry.

15. Moriah Jovan
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 16:56:33

I made my wedding dress, hand-embroidered and everything.

@Emily:

I think people seem overly judgmental and bitchy over the wedding jumpsuit.

It’s a piece of clothing. I doubt it cares how it’s judged or how bitchy anybody gets.

16. txvoodoo
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 17:57:06

I think I know maybe 3 people who could wear that jumpsuit well.

What I don’t get is why they just didn’t make it a skirt. Construction would be easier, more people could wear it.

But then it wouldn’t have gotten the press.