Tuesday News: EBook gifting in the form of a gift card;...

Photo: Andy Collett / SWNS.com

1. Shiloh Walker
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 08:24:35

Um… that male DNA thing is scary.

And the heart thing made my heart sigh a little. How lovely.

2. sao
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 08:37:09

Slate is increasingly filled with sensationalist garbage. The whole idea of survival of the fittest is that defective genes/organisms die out and the ones with more successful mutations thrive. Long before men go extinct, human societies would change to no longer be based on the pair-bond of one man and one woman. Chalk this one up as something to worry about after you’ve worried about whether the man in the moon has toenail fungus.

3. library addict
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:59:57

I actually like the idea of buying a physical gift card at Target to give to someone to buy digital books. But making the cards good only for that title is shirt-sighted. I would much rather it be a general gift certificate they could spend the funds on books of their own choice.

4. DS
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 16:14:37

Well, it Amazon must collect state and local taxes, then might as well open distribution centers around the county. I can hear the screams of Wal-Mart now. (Wal-Mart was one of the big lobbiest behind requiring Amazon to collect the taxes.)

5. Expy
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 17:31:53

@ Are Men Going Extinct? I Fucking Hope Not!
    LOL, that article was hella funny!

@ Amazon same-day delivery
    Yes to this soooo much.

6. cate
    Jul 18, 2012 @ 06:30:10

Pragmatic & slightly cynical I may be, but – I snivelled so much on Saturday am when I read the piece on Winston & Janet in the Daily Mail (it’s online too) that the old man not only made me a cup of tea – but brought me a cake too !

7. Carrie
    Jul 18, 2012 @ 12:45:46

I can’t wait to tell my Biology students that crossing-over is “where the two chromosomes tenderly hug and trade their troublesome bits for the troublesome bits on their neighboring chromosome.” Ummm, not quite, but okay. It’s true the X and Y chromosomes can’t cross-over because they’re not homologous chromosomes (they aren’t the same… :-D), but crossing-over isn’t about “troublesome bits,” it’s about genetic diversity.