Tuesday News: Deleted ad suggests possible Amazon retail presence in London;...

9781420127157_p0_v1_s600Kensingtonaugust2013

Looking through PW’s archives at the top 25 bestselling books of both 1992 and 1982 in fiction and nonfiction (100 titles total), we found 56 books that had Kindle e-book editions. Between fiction and nonfiction, the former fared much better: 39 of the 50 fiction titles had e-book editions, compared to 17 of the 50 nonfiction titles.

1. Patricia Eimer
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 07:30:45

The only thing those giant dresses would be good for is the fact you could in theory hide a rogue beneath them.

2. Juliana Stone
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 07:45:07

@Patricia or a DUKE! :-)

3. Jen
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 08:58:55

What if, hypothetically, I wanted to sell a used e-reader, loaded with a bunch of books I’d bought? I know that generally you wouldn’t want to do that because you’d wipe it before you sold it so that it wasn’t linked to your account and didn’t have personal information on it. But if I did sell an e-reader with books on it, would that be illegal?

4. Janine
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 09:49:00

I’ll be happy when those long long dresses are long gone.

5. mari
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 10:53:59

I guess those big dresses could have their uses….money gets tight, you could do a reverse Scarlett O’Hara and make curtains. And sheets and tablecloths. For the whole house.

6. Gwen Hayes
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 10:54:05

@Juliana Stone: A rogue AND a Duke.

7. Maria f
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 11:07:52

Maybe that’s where the “Lost Lords” referred to in the upper right corner of the cover are…under miles of dress?

8. Darlynne
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 11:40:11

@Jen: Unless the books were all side-loaded and had the DRM removed, I think the only way to keep the books on the reader is to maintain the account that bought them. I’ve always thought if you unregistered a Nook, for example, that you’d lose the B&N books on it; I don’t have specific knowledge of that, however.

9. Christine M.
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 13:34:05

@Darlynne:

AFAIK if I plug my Sony reader on any computer with Calibre installed, I’ll be able to download the (DRM-free) books from the Reader to the computer.

10. hapax
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 14:36:06

@Darlynne: “I’ve always thought if you unregistered a Nook, for example, that you’d lose the B&N books on it”

Well, since I’ve never enabled the wireless on my Nook (not for lack of plaintive requests), I don’t see how B&N could possibly *know* what books I have on it, let alone delete them.

Not an option for most e-readers nowadays, let alone smartphones, but the principle should stand.

11. Gillyweed
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 14:46:14

I love covers! I’ve also noticed that monochromatic covers (ex. lady in a magenta dress against a magenta background) seem popular in historicals, and erotically photographed plantlife/fruit is trending in contemporaries. And don’t get me started on ultralight sans-serif fonts. Or pearls.

12. farmwifetwo
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 15:20:38

@Jen: You can sell it with the books on it but the moment they bought a new book and sync’d they’d vanish since they aren’t part of their library.

13. farmwifetwo
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 15:23:57

@hapax:

I see Jen’s was answered. The answer is only if you side load always. I gave Mom my old reader when I bought my ARC. To change the email address and account info on the reader it had to be reformatted. Removing all of my books.

14. Susan
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 17:53:16

I have a list of old/backlist books I periodically check on to see if they’ve gone digital. A very high percentage of the books I buy are backlist, many of which I already own in paper. I can certainly understand why it might be a problem to release some of the books in digital, but I’m perplexed about others (for example, why the heck isn’t MM Kaye’s The Far Pavilions available as an ebook?).

Oh, and I hate those mammoth dresses. They look like a giganto pain in the ass, and are not correct for the time period (any time period?).

15. Eliza Evans
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 19:18:35

I once met a woman on a plane who told me she bought her kindle on Craigslist with the books still on it, so that’s what she read. It was a little mind-boggling. I can’t imagine just reading what I’d been handed.

16. Moriah Jovan
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 19:23:32

@Eliza Evans: Oh, I dunno. That kinda seems like an adventure to me!